Etherdome mocks 1.0

etherdome

We are within a month of the draft (almost).  Here is my shot at the first four rounds.  BPA is my choice for our seventh-rounder (that's just my chicken $4it way of saying that I don't know enough about the prospects to venture a guess that late in the draft. 

I assume no trades.  It is difficult to find a trade partner, so for the sake of this post, no trades.

Round 1:     Darron Lee  -  WLB, Ohio State, (6'-1", 232 lbs) 

I think that he will be available at #17.  He has trouble with tackling technique, but he has only been at this position for two seasons. He is smart, fast and has a strong work ethic.  He is a perfect WLB.  I think that Quinn and Smith will turn him into a star. 

Round 2:     Keanu Neal  -  Strong Safety, Florida, (6'-0", 211 lbs)

This guy has all the tools for Quinn's system.  I worry that he is another guy looking to make a highlight hit (I prefer wrap-up tacklers).  However, just like D. Lee, he is a work dog.  I put my money on hard workers.

Round 3:     Connor McGovern  -   OG, Missouri, (6'-4", 305 lbs)

This is not a name that has been mentioned much.  He is a brutally strong OL with top-rated athletic skills.  We need to draft a Guard to help us manage the cap.  This guy can start for us as a rookie.  He may need a few games to learn his responsibilities, but we have a few vets to start the season and train this very talented rookie.

Round 4:     Alex McCalister  -  Edge Rusher, Florida, (6'-6", 240 lbs)

This guy is probably the most gifted edge rusher in this draft.  His SPARQ numbers are elite.  He drops this far because of his foot injuries and penchant for suspensions.  I hear that his suspensions were related to contact with agents.  Regardless of the reason, I would take a gamble on this extreme talent.  Park him on the roster and have him gain 10 lbs.  If he is a serious young man, he could be as good as Jason Taylor.  If he turns out to be an idiot, we have a special talent for special teams.

All of these prospects make plays in the middle of the field.  That has been our weakness for several seasons.  I think that I pretty much addressed those issues.  If the draft goes as mocked, the team will have three new starters and a prospect with great potential to be a star pass rusher.  I did not address the TE position, which is a team need.  I just don't see a lot of value in this draft at that position.  I also hear that next season will be very strong at TE.  

Edited by etherdome

I'm not knocking Lee at all, but I would rather use our first rounder on a pass rusher, either edge or interior, but preferably edge. Maybe there's not one worthwhile when we pick, but if there is, I want him. Lee may turn out to be a fine pro, but I feel like guys who have problems with tackling as a prospect, also have problems tackling throughout their career... It just doesn't seem to be an area guys tend to improve much on as pros. 

15 minutes ago, Butudontseeme™ said:

I'm not knocking Lee at all, but I would rather use our first rounder on a pass rusher, either edge or interior, but preferably edge. Maybe there's not one worthwhile when we pick, but if there is, I want him. Lee may turn out to be a fine pro, but I feel like guys who have problems with tackling as a prospect, also have problems tackling throughout their career... It just doesn't seem to be an area guys tend to improve much on as pros. 

I feel the same way about the usual prospects that don't tackle well.  Lee should be viewed as an exception.  He has been a LB for two seasons.  He is malleable.  I am confident that he will learn under Quinn and Smith. 

10 minutes ago, etherdome said:

I feel the same way about the usual prospects that don't tackle well.  Lee should be viewed as an exception.  He has been a LB for two seasons.  He is malleable.  I am confident that he will learn under Quinn and Smith. 

Hopefully if he winds up as our pick, you're right and it's something he can improve on. Lord knows if there's a position that you can't afford poor tackling it's LB. The fact that he's only played LB for 2 years could also be viewed as a detriment, though... In the end, I'm hoping for Floyd or Lawson at 17, but I have enough confidence in TD, Pioli, Quinn and co that our first round pick will be a good one... It's the subsequent picks that worry me. 

Really good stuff here etherdome. I have the Falcons going Lee/Neal first two rounds, ideally we land a OG or a DT in the third, McGowen fits the bill for sure. The fourth I'd take a DT or TE. I don't mind the pass rusher, I just feel like we have to grab at least one DT in this draft ! Good stuff though, really like this.

Great tackling should be a non-negotiable quality of a first round defensive player that isn't a corner. A lot of people will say that you can't teach speed, but I've scouted the draft as a hobby for over a decade now and I'm more and more convinced that you also can't teach great tackling. Tackling is much more of a mindset than a technique. 

1 hour ago, Power I said:

Great tackling should be a non-negotiable quality of a first round defensive player that isn't a corner. A lot of people will say that you can't teach speed, but I've scouted the draft as a hobby for over a decade now and I'm more and more convinced that you also can't teach great tackling. Tackling is much more of a mindset than a technique. 

Well said my friend it is a mindset for sure.

Hence why when teaching it you do exactly that without the pads and helmet to gain confidence and perfect technique.

6 hours ago, Power I said:

Well if we get Lee he better be in that mindset, because in this division especially vs the panties we better be able tackle. That is my one and only question with him...

1 hour ago, HaRdH3ad said:

Well if we get Lee he better be in that mindset, because in this division especially vs the panties we better be able tackle. That is my one and only question with him...

As I mentioned, Lee is still learning to play LB.  He is smart and motivated, so I feel good about his chances.  

12 hours ago, etherdome said:

We are within a month of the draft (almost).  Here is my shot at the first four rounds.  BPA is my choice for our seventh-rounder (that's just my chicken $4it way of saying that I don't know enough about the prospects to venture a guess that late in the draft. 

I assume no trades.  It is difficult to find a trade partner, so for the sake of this post, no trades.

Round 1:     Darron Lee  -  WLB, Ohio State, (6'-1", 232 lbs) 

I think that he will be available at #17.  He has trouble with tackling technique, but he has only been at this position for two seasons. He is smart, fast and has a strong work ethic.  He is a perfect WLB.  I think that Quinn and Smith will turn him into a star. 

Round 2:     Keanu Neal  -  Strong Safety, Florida, (6'-0", 211 lbs)

This guy has all the tools for Quinn's system.  I worry that he is another guy looking to make a highlight hit (I prefer wrap-up tacklers).  However, just like D. Lee, he is a work dog.  I put my money on hard workers.

Round 3:     Connor McGovern  -   OG, Missouri, (6'-4", 305 lbs)

This is not a name that has been mentioned much.  He is a brutally strong OL with top-rated athletic skills.  We need to draft a Guard to help us manage the cap.  This guy can start for us as a rookie.  He may need a few games to learn his responsibilities, but we have a few vets to start the season and train this very talented rookie.

Round 4:     Alex McCalister  -  Edge Rusher, Florida, (6'-6", 240 lbs)

This guy is probably the most gifted edge rusher in this draft.  His SPARQ numbers are elite.  He drops this far because of his foot injuries and penchant for suspensions.  I hear that his suspensions were related to contact with agents.  Regardless of the reason, I would take a gamble on this extreme talent.  Park him on the roster and have him gain 10 lbs.  If he is a serious young man, he could be as good as Jason Taylor.  If he turns out to be an idiot, we have a special talent for special teams.

All of these prospects make plays in the middle of the field.  That has been our weakness for several seasons.  I think that I pretty much addressed those issues.  If the draft goes as mocked, the team will have three new starters and a prospect with great potential to be a star pass rusher.  I did not address the TE position, which is a team need.  I just don't see a lot of value in this draft at that position.  I also hear that next season will be very strong at TE.  

I like all three players - ideally, I would rather get Neal in the 3rd round and McGovern in the 4th round.   Would like to see one more stud player in 2nd round - to me, the 2nd round is a little rich for Keanu Neal as it seems like there is such a disparity on his value.

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

I like all three players - ideally, I would rather get Neal in the 3rd round and McGovern in the 4th round.   Would like to see one more stud player in 2nd round - to me, the 2nd round is a little rich for Keanu Neal as it seems like there is such a disparity on his value.

That is what goes through my mind when looking at these picks initially.  Keanu Neal is a guy I like but I think he has a real chance of slipping a little.

1 hour ago, etherdome said:

Neal might drop into the third round, but I don't think that McGovern will be available in the 4th.  He is picking up some steam and is rumored to be higher on draft boards than previously thought.  

yeah, last year I had my eye on Mitch Morse as a Center/Guard for the Falcons in the 4th round and he went in the 2nd.

Well I would sacrifice either Neal or McGovern and pick a better player overall in the 2nd round.

7 hours ago, GleasonForever! said:

Needs a DT

Thanks for the short but insightful response.  I debated a DT for quite a while, but I decided to address immediate issues.  

I freely admit that we will very much need a young DT, particularly one that can collapse the pocket.  It is possible that we will not draft a Safety and look to sign one after the June 1st cuts occur.  It is also possible that our FO will wait and see how the Safeties on our roster develop.