Atlanta's Scheme Sold Weatherspoon to Return

birdz4i

Andrew Hirsh

atlantafalcons.com 

The news that Atlanta signed Sean Weatherspoon has been met with resounding approve from fans everywhere. Now the question is, What can he provide the Falcons in 2016?

When the Falcons announced they re-upped Sean Weatherspoonicon-article-link.gif earlier this month, the immediate response was overwhelmingly positive. Once a skilled member of Atlanta’s defense, a vocal leader and one of the locker room’s biggest personalities, the veteran linebacker earned a lot of fans in Atlanta.

His popularity has been well-deserved since they day he was drafted, but Atlanta didn’t sign Weatherspoon this month for the sake of nostalgia. He was brought on board to help Atlanta get back to its winning ways.

So how can he assist on the field?

Given Weatherspoon’s injury history—and the damage sustained to his lower-body, in particular—his physical condition is still somewhat unclear. But if he’s relatively healthy after dealing with foot, hamstring and Achilles tendon problems in the last three seasons, Weatherspoon should be a viable depth linebacker and special teamer.

In the best case scenario, the six-year veteran will stay off the injury list and perform like his old self. If that happens, he could work his way up the depth chart and become an important part of Dan Quinn’s defense.

As he knows, crazier things have happened in the NFL.

"In this league, man, anything can happen,” he said. “I saw last year, they played a lot of guys at linebacker last year. I saw one guy come in here and start after being here only four days. You never know what’s going to happen so you just have to take it one day at a time."

And even though Weatherspoon used to be a star in Atlanta, he understands the circumstances have changed this time around. Signed to a one-year, prove-it contract, he’s willing to take on any role that can help the Falcons improve in 2016.

"Looking into those guys’ eyes and talking to them about scheme and where they see me fitting in with my skill set, I mean, it just made the most sense,” Weatherspoon said of returning to Atlanta. “Like I said, I’ve been here before. I know this city. I’m grateful to ever be a part of this city and basically come back. I’m just pumped. I’m pumped to go and just do something."

What’s more clear is the value Weatherspoon can provide off the field. Because linebacker is an area of need, there’s a strong chance the Falcons will invest one or more of their five draft picks on that position next month. As someone who was picked in the first round and joined Atlanta with high expectations, Weatherspoon could offer some crucial guidance to the rookies—some of whom will be asked to contribute right away.

“Football has always been a way you could reach me with the game,” he said. “I cherish the game that much. And I just look forward to getting back out here and just working with the guys. And wherever the chips fall, that’s where they’re going to lay.”

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/blog/article-1/Atlantas-Scheme-Sold-Weatherspoon-to-Return/33d2d766-6f8b-403b-9542-7714816f13ba

Maybe a total different deal, but Carolina has been rewarded greatly by sticking with Thomas Davis through a far worse injury history. 

I'm glad Spoon is pumped to be here. The Falcons need all the speed and depth at LB they can get. This could pay off for the Falcons or it could be a rinse repeat deal. 

Either way, I wish the man no ill will and hope he comes back 100% and balls out. 

You mean the scheme that we would have featured him in last year, when he snubbed us for Arizona? That scheme?

What "sold" Spoon was a strong need to rehab his stock, after years of injury, followed by a year of riding the bench in a new city, with Atlanta, the team that drafted him, being the most likely to sign him.

Don't get me wrong. I like Spoon, and I like that he's back, and I hope that he's successful, for both his sake and ours (mostly the latter), but he's here for a reason, and that reason sure as **** isn't the same scheme that he had already rejected one year previous.

48 minutes ago, Keith 3:16 said:

Already to way many articles on a guy that may not make special teams....

Sure as **** know the Cardinals were not going to resign this scrub so really did he even have another suitor?

Already to way many articles

If you're gonna do it at least put some effort into it

People knock his ability to stay healthy the last couple years and that's fair. 

I read earlier today that he only played 150 snaps last season. To me that says that he practically had an entire year of little contact which gives him fresher legs. I'm excited to see what he can do in a simplified defense where he can finally utilize his instincts.

1 hour ago, ShmevinShmarris said:

People knock his ability to stay healthy the last couple years and that's fair. 

I read earlier today that he only played 150 snaps last season. To me that says that he practically had an entire year of little contact which gives him fresher legs. I'm excited to see what he can do in a simplified defense where he can finally utilize his instincts.

I think everyone here hopes he's able to stay healthy but we just aren't getting our hopes up based off of his history.

Essentially everyone is thinking a healthy Spoon would be awesome but........

I don't mind the Spoon signing at all. Last year Spoon probably felt he deserved a more suitable contract because that was the culture they created around here. He seen fellow player's like Baker, who stayed injured get paid and as a athlete you know you have a certain window to get paid before your window closes.

Since the addition of Quinn, the culture is steadily changing. Last year they gave Clayborn, another player who has been injured most of his career, a 1 year prove it deal. Had Coach Smith been here I believe they would have given him or a similar player a 4/5 year deal for x amount of millions.

Spoon has the talent, he just needs to stay healthy. The scheme he will play here will far exceed whatever scheme Coach Nolan was trying to run or the soft cover scheme VanGorder ran during his tenure.

5 hours ago, Jpowers said:

I think everyone here hopes he's able to stay healthy but we just aren't getting our hopes up based off of his history.

Essentially everyone is thinking a healthy Spoon would be awesome but........

I totally get the skepticism. Don't really understand some of the animosity. It's not like he wanted to get injured. Some people take the weirdest things personally, which is kind of ironic coming from me. But I don't develop hatred for people who get injured a lot.

Kinda hard for me to fathom folks being up in arms over Spoon returning. He is the epitome of a low risk, high reward signing. If he stays healthy then great, if he doesn't then there is no risk to the team. He has an incentive laden contract that will essentially pay him less than what a rookie would make.

And yes he is a scheme fit...that much was made clear by Quinn when he took over as HC. On more than one occasion Quinn said that Spoon was great for his defensive scheme.

Edited by FentayeJones