Jump to content

Upshaw Contract


matty72780
 Share

Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, matty72780 said:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15068590/courtney-upshaw-reaches-agreement-contract-atlanta-falcons

 

espn reporting 1 year. 1 year is pretty surprising for a guy who's 26. You figured at least 3-4 years. 

or we're playing it safe and seeing if he is a fit by giving him a "prove it" deal. You know like we did w/ Clay and Scho.

Edited by Yo_Lover
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 yr deals:

 

Usually a bargain price.

The player is in a contract year with something to prove.

No dead money on future cap yrs.

A potential comp pick if the player does well and chooses to leave.

1st crack at signing them long term AFTER they prove themselves in our system.

 

Honestly, its always gonna be appealing to the team. So in this situation the players can go where they want- and its refreshing that we're being chosen. (Thanks Q)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, maxatlanta said:

1 yr deals:

 

Usually a bargain price.

The player is in a contract year with something to prove.

No dead money on future cap yrs.

A potential comp pick if the player does well and chooses to leave.

1st crack at signing them long term AFTER they prove themselves in our system.

 

Honestly, its always gonna be appealing to the team. So in this situation the players can go where they want- and its refreshing that we're being chosen. (Thanks Q)

Good post. Falcs being smart is all. Great move.  Bonecrushah!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, FentayeJones said:

 

So, maybe I'm missing something but what is wrong with the dude? Meaning, he's 26, no off field issues except for making weight/conditioning one year, but couldn't get a multi year deal from a team?

I get he isn't an elite talent, but everything I've read here and elsewhere states he's a solid player for his function... Is it that he is limited in his functional roles and not multi-faceted like a lot of the elite players?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Leggggggo said:

So, maybe I'm missing something but what is wrong with the dude? Meaning, he's 26, no off field issues except for making weight/conditioning one year, but couldn't get a multi year deal from a team?

I get he isn't an elite talent, but everything I've read here and elsewhere states he's a solid player for his function... Is it that he is limited in his functional roles and not multi-faceted like a lot of the elite players?

When a young guy isn't getting the deals he want .. Some rather take a one year deal and cash in a year later if they shine that year 

 

Rather then take a cheap 3 year deal. .. Shine and now you are stuck for 2 years for cheap

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Leggggggo said:

So, maybe I'm missing something but what is wrong with the dude? Meaning, he's 26, no off field issues except for making weight/conditioning one year, but couldn't get a multi year deal from a team?

I get he isn't an elite talent, but everything I've read here and elsewhere states he's a solid player for his function... Is it that he is limited in his functional roles and not multi-faceted like a lot of the elite players?

Lots of solid players are getting one year deals.

At this point in free agency, teams are not gonna spend a lot of money - all the money gets spent in the first 3-4 days.

The only team that seem to dish out multi year deals to role players late in free agency are the Saints. Outside of Fairly they have given everyone a  three year deal.

Edited by FentayeJones
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, malak07 said:

Highly ranked Run-Defending LB has had weight problems in past and never lived up to pass-rushing expectations but at this point we just need some bodies at LB. He's a solid player that can't help keep the LB positions serviceable.

Agree. He hasn't been all that spectacular, but the guy is a solid player and will be a productive addition to our LB corps. This was a thrifty and savvy signing by the FO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I knew he wouldn't break the bank, but I thought the numbers would have been a little higher considering it would seem that is a salary Baltimore could have easily matched and he's the type of hard-nosed player they have traditionally valued.

I'm going to be curious when he finally speaks on what sold him: did he have hard feeling toward Baltimore, was it a chance to play a more featured role in the ATL, etc.?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

I knew he wouldn't break the bank, but I thought the numbers would have been a little higher considering it would seem that is a salary Baltimore could have easily matched and he's the type of hard-nosed player they have traditionally valued.

I'm going to be curious when he finally speaks on what sold him: did he have hard feeling toward Baltimore, was it a chance to play a more featured role in the ATL, etc.?

Well, if he truly is trying to rehab his stock on a one year deal, in an effort to get a long term contract, then it would serve to reason that the scheme that failed to increase his stock the first time around, would only do about as well the second. 

It's possible that we'll be featuring him in a slightly different capacity, giving him a differing look for increased production. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, hjerry said:

Well, if he truly is trying to rehab hi stock on a one year deal, in an effort to get a long term contract, then it would serve to reason that the scheme that failed to increase his stock the first time around, would only do about as well the second. 

It's possible that we'll be featuring him in a slightly different capacity, giving him a differing look for increased production. 

Good point.  That crossed my mind, and is probably the most logical reason, but Baltimore has always had a knack for keeping guys like that, because they value the dirtywork.  They got Jarrett Johnson, who essentially had the same role to a fat second contract.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Good point.  That crossed my mind, and is probably the most logical reason, but Baltimore has always had a knack for keeping guys like that, because they value the dirtywork.  They got Jarrett Johnson, who essentially had the same role to a fat second contract.

I don't remember them signing Jarrett Johnson to a big contract. I remember Johnson going to San Diego when he was a FA. They had Johnson and Upshaw play the same role and both played for Alabama.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mdrake34 said:

26 year old thumper who has never missed a game in his career.  TD and Quinn continue to knock this offseason out of the park. 

I noticed that's very important to Quinn seemingly. Outside of the Spoon and Durant signing, the players he releases first are the injury prone ones, and the players he wants seem to have a history of being healthy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...