Ravens message board members on Upshaw

Sergeant

I saw saw a lot of people very happy with this signing on TATF and wondered what some Ravens board members were saying. I think overall they see him as a player that's solid against the run, underrated at pass rush (the Ravens didn't utilize him there apparently) and mediocre against the pass. 

-----------

"If nothing else the Falcons are getting a good guy against the run."

"Man l wanted the Ravens to resigned this guy. Great teammate, great guy, solid player. I actually saw him in person at Towson Mall one time great times. They should've at least contact him they completely ignore him. Very underrated player."

"Dumervil was weak against the run and Upshaw weak against the pass. I hope we can get a guy to do both."

"OLB that stop the run are a dime a dozen = easy to replace (especially with a mid-late draft pick). OLB that rush the passer - now that's a little more difficult. I do think that Upshaw's pass rushing skills are a little underrated (ask Big Ben) - he just wasn't asked to rush the passer that much. It's a skill that you have to work on everyday."

"Upshaw was never more than solid on the edge. He was never more than Jarrett Johnson and was usually less. Considering how highly he was picked, he should have been more, but at least he wasn't a bust. When I look at guys like Brandon Williams, who was considered a "project" and got better and better all the time (still getting better), it makes me wonder why Upshaw hit his ceiling. We can find a guy who can do what he did in the 5th-7th round. You want impact players in the first 2 rounds. Upshaw wasn't that."

Edited by Trick Montalban

1 minute ago, FentayeJones said:

I usually take what message boarders say with a grain of salt. 

Same here. No disrespect to leave trick but regardless of how good or bad their comments are, I've learned to not take other fans serious. Dolphins fans said wheeler was washed up. Bucs fans said Martin was done after the injury. These are good comments to remember though. I think anyone that was forced to watch Alabama football knows how tough he is and what type of football player the Falcons just signed

T.D. is the man..... He don't get credit due to his moves to keep this team competitive..  It's obvious to me anyway,, They are making a huge move this year like I've never seen  before the draft.. I'd give anything to know who they are pegging in the draft. I think they are setting themselves up to move up and down in the draft to get the players they want. Plus, they are trying to fill obvious needs so to pick pick BPA.  The big key now is to build an OL that can keep Ryan on the field and healthy .

Lol, a 25 year old who hit his ceiling, that's funny. All in all, like one of them said, if anything we improved our run defense, and if it's true he hasn't rushed the passer much, well maybe Quinn can tap into that. Quinn made Biermann competent in 2015, I'm sure he could get more out of a more talented player. I'm actually really excited about this signing. Can't wait to see how Quinn utilizes him.

21 hours ago, Draftnut57 said:

T.D. is the man..... He don't get credit due to his moves to keep this team competitive..  It's obvious to me anyway,, They are making a huge move this year like I've never seen  before the draft.. I'd give anything to know who they are pegging in the draft. I think they are setting themselves up to move up and down in the draft to get the players they want. Plus, they are trying to fill obvious needs so to pick pick BPA.  The big key now is to build an OL that can keep Ryan on the field and healthy .

Just stop please. Bad enough that top 4 team thing you posted the other day  but calling "TD the man" is some straight jacket level sh!t. Are we not 18-30 over the past 3 seasons with out our starting "franchise" QB not missing a single game??

Alex Mack is the only decent signing this off-season and if he is truly health and regains his form it is worth it. If he plays like he did last year then we overspent big time..I happen to think it will work out for us. The rest of these signings are meh at best. Still absolutely 0 pass rush and Vic Measley and his whopping 5 QB hits is not going to get it done.

Edited by Keith 3:16

2 minutes ago, Keith 3:16 said:

Just stop please. Bad enough that top 4 team thing you posted the other day  but calling "TD the man" is some straight jacket level sh!t. Are we not 18-30 over the past 3 seasons with out our starting "franchise" QB missing a single game??

Alex Mack is the only decent signing this off-season and if he is truly health and regains his form it is worth it. If he plays like he did last year then we overspent big time..I happen to think it will work out for us. The rest of these signings are meh at best. Still absolutely 0 pass rush and Vic Measley and his whopping 5 QB hits is not going to get it done.

Sorry , but you lost me when you just said the only decent  player we've signed.. You need to do some research ...

2 minutes ago, Draftnut57 said:

Sorry , but you lost me when you just said the only decent  player we've signed.. You need to do some research ...

No they are depth guys that it. Sanu?? Come on he will be an average player that should but up some decent numbers because you have the best WR in football on the other side drawing bracket coverage. Who is above average we have signed but Mack? Remember Jesus know if your lying so leave that homer hat in the closet.

12 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

Same here. No disrespect to leave trick but regardless of how good or bad their comments are, I've learned to not take other fans serious. Dolphins fans said wheeler was washed up. Bucs fans said Martin was done after the injury. These are good comments to remember though. I think anyone that was forced to watch Alabama football knows how tough he is and what type of football player the Falcons just signed

Would you STOP bringing Logic to this board! lol

I like this signing... He fills depth and that is what this team is lacking. Thru the draft we get players with star potential, not free agency. Very rarely do players like that hit the market and if they do they will demand top dollar and can pick where ever they want to go. You don't build thru FA. You build thru the draft and supplement thru FA.

1 hour ago, Adam25 said:

Lol, a 25 year old who hit his ceiling, that's funny. All in all, like one of them said, if anything we improved our run defense, and if it's true he hasn't rushed the passer much, well maybe Quinn can tap into that. Quinn made Biermann competent in 2015, I'm sure he could get more out of a more talented player. I'm actually really excited about this signing. Can't wait to see how Quinn utilizes him.

No different than 30 year old players being on their last legs according to this message board.

1 hour ago, Keith 3:16 said:

No they are depth guys that it. Sanu?? Come on he will be an average player that should but up some decent numbers because you have the best WR in football on the other side drawing bracket coverage. Who is above average we have signed but Mack? Remember Jesus know if your lying so leave that homer hat in the closet.

I think we've done really well in FA.  Shelby is going to surprise some folks.

Edited by CraigSmackDaddy

Last year it was Brooks Reed who was elevated from rotational guy to  All Pro once Quinn got his hands on him.

Upshaw is the new poster child of roll player to pro bowler on defense and Sanu is the new Hankerson the air apparent to Julio Jones on offense. Coaches are just that, not miracle workers who sit in the locker room building the 6 million dollar man. 

Lets see how this all plays out before claiming we are destined for the Lombardi in 2017. 

Edited by insight

8 minutes ago, insight said:

Last year it was Brooks Reed who was elevated from rotational guy to  All Pro once Quinn got his hands on him.

Upshaw is the new poster child of roll player to pro bowler on defense and Sanu is the new Hankerson the air apparent to Julio Jones on offense. Coaches are just that, not miracle workers who sit in the locker room building the 6 million dollar man. 

Lets see how this all plays out before claiming we are destined for the Lombardi in 2017. 

Majority of people thought the Reed signing was terrible and compared him to Biermann...