Could Floyd play WLB?

Who knows?  It's a totally different discipline to go from playing on the line of scrimmage to off.  It almost begs the question of why would you want him to when his skill set is elsewhere -- like getting after the quarterback?

The Ravens did something similar many years ago with Peter Boulware who was a DE at FSU.  But it's a steep learning curve and that was a completely different system.

4 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Who knows?  It's a totally different discipline to go from playing on the line of scrimmage to off.  It almost begs the question of why would you want him to when his skill set is elsewhere -- like getting after the quarterback?

The Ravens did something similar many years ago with Peter Boulware who was a DE at FSU.  But it's a steep learning curve and that was a completely different system.

Floyd played LB in college and it is universally agreed that he will play LB in the NFL, with SLB being his most natural position in the 4-3 alignment. Hence the speculation with our current roster confinement stacked at SLB. 

Just now, trufalconsfan said:

Floyd played LB in college and it is universally agreed that he will play LB in the NFL, with SLB being his most natural position in the 4-3 alignment. Hence the speculation with our current roster confinement stacked at SLB. 

He played LB at Georgia in a 3-4 on the LOS... unless I missed something.  As I said, it's completely different discipline to go from playing on the LOS to off.  It's not impossible, but everything is completely different playing the WILL, your keys, what you do with your eyes, how you flow to the play.  WILL in a 4-3 is very intuitive position.  

6 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

He played LB at Georgia in a 3-4 on the LOS... unless I missed something.  As I said, it's completely different discipline to go from playing on the LOS to off.  It's not impossible, but everything is completely different playing the WILL, your keys, what you do with your eyes, how you flow to the play.  WILL in a 4-3 is very intuitive position.  

he definitely was playing ilb off the line he was all over the place

23 minutes ago, Reggie_Kelly said:

I see Wheeler and Worrilow as the will and mike respectively.

I think Quinn will draft a DT in the first, Safety in the second and a TE in the third. I don't envision Floyd being drafted here.

You may be right.  I think if Rankins falls to us, he will be a very strong consideration.  It is kind of disappointing though b/c I think Floyd could provide the pash rush we need from the LB spot. There just may not be room for him any longer. 

Actually the more I watch Floyd and think about it the more I like him on the inside in the base package and playing end in sub packages. I would look at Travis Feeney as a guy to float between SS and WLB depending on down and distance.

Edited by Sobeit

5 minutes ago, Sobeit said:

Actually the more I watch Floyd and think about it the more I like him on the inside in the base package and playing end in sub packages. I would look at Travis Feeney as a guy to float between SS and WLB depending on down and distance.

He just doesn't look like a MLB in the 4-3 to me.  I could see him playing ILB in the 3-4 but seems like an awkward fit at MLB. 

5 minutes ago, trufalconsfan said:

He just doesn't look like a MLB in the 4-3 to me.  I could see him playing ILB in the 3-4 but seems like an awkward fit at MLB. 

Well I think he can be very good at it but you are right he will not look like a typical 4-3 ILB but I like what he brings to the position and think he could do well at it. At first not so much then I really watched his UGA games at ILB and they did not have him doing it because he was a slouch.

I'm sorry but you guys are disillusional if you think floyd can be a productive linebacker off the ball linebacker in the nfl. 

The guy is an undersized 3-4 OLB at best . I'm going to dive back into the film on him and I'll admit if I'm wrong but I don't see it all. We're signing guys like Upshaw and Shelby we want to get faster no doubt but I don't see them sacrificing the physical element in the process 

14 minutes ago, atlGM said:

I'm sorry but you guys are disillusional if you think floyd can be a productive linebacker off the ball linebacker in the nfl. 

The guy is an undersized 3-4 OLB at best . I'm going to dive back into the film on him and I'll admit if I'm wrong but I don't see it all. We're signing guys like Upshaw and Shelby we want to get faster no doubt but I don't see them sacrificing the physical element in the process 

You must be anti Darren Lee and many of the other projected WLB prospects as well then?  Most of the projected WLB guys in this draft are undersized i.e. Lee, Cravens, Jones, Smith.  Floyd actually would bring the most size of all of them, with the potential to add 10-15 pounds and potentially keep his speed.  

36 minutes ago, atlGM said:

When you do be sure to specifically check out the games he played ILB. Remember that he is playing that position with very limited experience. Watch him closely because I have 2 knocks on him at it and that is he could do a better job tackling and the fact he needs to see the play to start towards it but that is mainly due to lack of experience. People claiming he is weak at the PoA is pure myth because he holds up well at it. Granted you would like to see him defeat more of the blocks and make the tackle but he did a good job holding it and allowing team mates to clean up. Beating it outright and making the play will come with experience but those claiming he is blown out is not accurate. He even handled the double teams pretty well using his length and leverage.

This is the first vid I came across.  Maybe there's better out there, but this... not good.  It wasn't just that he look indecisive, which is to be expected, but he looked awkward and unnatural scraping to his gaps and he couldn't get off blocks to save his life.  He looked like a totally different player when he moved to the line of scrimmage where he looked very lithe and explosive.

He did seem to get a little better as the game went on and when he was untouched made a few nice fills, but he can't start in the NFL as a weakside linebacker like this.  On the plus side, he had some nice drops in coverage from that spot.  Looked really fluid.  

50 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

This is the first vid I came across.  Maybe there's better out there, but this... not good.  It wasn't just that he look indecisive, which is to be expected, but he looked awkward and unnatural scraping to his gaps and he couldn't get off blocks to save his life.  He looked like a totally different player when he moved to the line of scrimmage where he looked very lithe and explosive.

He did seem to get a little better as the game went on and when he was untouched made a few nice fills, but he can't start in the NFL as a weakside linebacker like this.  On the plus side, he had some nice drops in coverage from that spot.  Looked really fluid.  

Everything you just listed there is a experience issue as I see it. Yet he still manages to make a good number of plays and stonewall blockers and allow team mates to clean up. As anything but a SLB in our scheme he is going on potential and his natural pass rush ability. Still even playing a position he has so little experience at he does pretty well at it. I think he will be the pick at 17 if he is there and he will be used at multiple LBer positions and a end on pass rushing downs.

8 hours ago, Reggie_Kelly said:

I see Wheeler and Worrilow as the will and mike respectively.

I think Quinn will draft a DT in the first, Safety in the second and a TE in the third. I don't envision Floyd being drafted here.

2 castoffs on 1 year deals....backed up by 1 year deal guys...basically the entire linebacker corp is on a 1 year deal and you want a DT, where we have 3 guys taken in the last 2 years. Next year as it stands reed will be the only linebacker under contract....we will be back in this same boat again next year.....

I just dont think we can afford to have a 1st round draft choice be a backup....not this season... we NEED that pick to start.

Make no mistake, between babs, jarrett, and hageman...we have our starting DTs. With mbu and jackson backing them up.