Harbaugh to host satellite camp in Atlanta area

Carter

Further proof that Harbaugh gives no ffffunky stuff. Harbaugh will host a satellite camp on June 2nd at Cedar Grove in Atlanta. Cedar Grove is home to several top instate recruits, including Netori Johnson and UGA commit Justin Shaffer.

Other camps he's planning include Pearl High in Mississippi (June 8th), Bob Jones High in Alabama (June 10th), and Showtyme Elite camp in Dallas (June 13th).

Cedar Grove head coach Jimmy Smith expects 300-500 players from around Georgia to attend.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2016/03/24/harbaughs-southern-swarm-tour-adds-another-camp/82225862/

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Wardog357 said:

Well....seems like we need to hold a camp near his home turf. Pick a very good central recruiting area he would typically go after. Fire with fire.

there are no good players in Michigan - that is why Harbaugh is coming down here - all the horses are in the South - also Florida, Texas and Cali

4 hours ago, g-dawg said:

there are no good players in Michigan - that is why Harbaugh is coming down here - all the horses are in the South - also Florida, Texas and Cali

I agree...but his whole team doesn't consist of just those state players. I know the concentration of players aren't there. I'm going to check out their roster and see if I can find out what percentage of their team are made up of Florida, Georgia, Texas and such. I'm sure they are a much more deverse team in regards to logistics of players.

10 minutes ago, Wardog357 said:

I agree...but his whole team doesn't consist of just those state players. I know the concentration of players aren't there. I'm going to check out their roster and see if I can find out what percentage of their team are made up of Florida, Georgia, Texas and such. I'm sure they are a much more deverse team in regards to logistics of players.

of course they are but they don't get enough players from the South  - that is the whole purpose of all this crap Harbaugh is doing.  He is smart enough to know that he cannot turn Michigan into a national power again without southern players.

Kirby Smart is right to battle him at every turn - as should other SEC coaches and FSU.    To just cede and let Harbaugh in is foolish. I don't know what can be done about it, but Kirbster should do whatever he can.

33 minutes ago, Wardog357 said:

Just looked up their roster...this is a general breakdown but not complete

Mich. 36 players

Ohio 13

Fla. 8

NJ 7

IL. 5, NY 3, PA 4, MD, 3, AL, 2, Cal. 2, VA 2, MO 1,KY 1, TX 1, GA 1,

I say have a camp in Michigan based on the numbers.

Those numbers gotta be why he's looking south. Outside of Detroit and Flint there isn't much there and they battle Michigan State for those...Ohio gets the cream of the crop in this state by birthright 

i would do a camp in ohio.. i wouldn't waste my time in michigan.. there is a reason he wants players from the south.. that michigan number will drop if he can be successful down here and in texas and california.  however i believe this camp in georgia won't happen.  we will know for sure when the vote happens in april, but there is a lot of support to stop these type of recruiting only camps.  i also agreed with gene smith and his comments on going down south for a practice like harbaugh did at img.  it's not fair at all to take away the player's spring break so a coach can push his recruiting agenda.  these players will be in that weight room and working all offseason and working the entire year.  no reason to take them from going to see their families or going to have some fun so harbaugh can work on getting players.  he has plenty of other opportunity to recruit.  

• 2 weeks later...

“If these satellite camps go through, I’ve been in discussion with two Big Ten teams. I’ve been in discussion with teams in Florida and Texas, as well as the (Dallas) Cowboys,” Bielema said. “If this thing goes through, we’re going to do an exclusive camp right there with the Cowboys unique to us that no one else in the SEC will be able to do. That’s going to be a huge advantage.

“I’m talking about going east with a Big Ten team I’ve got a relationship with. If that pans out, some really good things could open the door.”

http://gridironnow.com/ncaa-sec-satellite-camps/

sounds like all acc and sec teams have a problem with it.  there is a measure being voted on this month that if it passes will make these satellite camps against ncaa rules and none of these camps will happen.  there is a lot of support for this measure except for 1 conference.  if it doesn't pass and it's fair game then expect the sec teams to let the rule expire in a month and they do satellite camps all over the country.  then it's game on and let's hear the whining nationally when we do that. 

Let them whine.  

I believe that all these gifted, hard-working kids should be given every opportunity to find the right situation for themselves.  But, then again, I also believe that every student should be able to transfer from one school to another after staying at the first school two years.  I believe in free trade.  Freedom for players, as well as coaches.  

5 hours ago, etherdome said:

Let them whine.  

I believe that all these gifted, hard-working kids should be given every opportunity to find the right situation for themselves.  But, then again, I also believe that every student should be able to transfer from one school to another after staying at the first school two years.  I believe in free trade.  Freedom for players, as well as coaches.  

i personally have no issues with the satellite camps.  it gives kids more exposure and there might be a player that isn't good enough for the team doing the camp, but someone might call a lower tier program's coach and give him the info.  the one thing i really appreciated with CMR is when we had camps in Athens lots of times he would invite the middle tennessee state and other programs of that calibur to come out and see the kids as well.  it helps programs with a small budget see hundreds of players in one spot and also helps a kid who might not be at a big 5 school, but is plenty talented enough to help out a middle tier or lower tier school.  

1 hour ago, Porter Osborne Jr said:

My biggest issue with it is the amount of money colleges will be spending doing these camps.  Out spending the little guys even more.

the vote is on friday.. if it's voted to not allow these camps then this will be stopped for a year.. however if they vote to allow it to continue then the sec will go ahead and allow their coaches to do it.  the arms race as you know has been an ongoing battle for a decade plus.. now the arms race will be how much money can i spend on these satellite camps.  that would include guest speakers, etc.  kirby smart said today if we get the green light we will have a plan in place and we will be active in satellite camps.. i can't wait to see what areas he picks for us to go to. 

NCAA bans satellite camps effective immediately

1:44 PM ET
  • sherman_mitch_m.jpg&w=80&h=80&scale=crop
    Mitch ShermanESPN Staff Writer

The NCAA has shut down satellite camps, effective immediately, with a ruling Friday by the Division I Council that requires FBS programs to conduct all clinics at school facilities or facilities regularly used for practice or competition.

Satellite camps rose to prominence over the past year as several programs, notably Michigan and others from the Big Ten, conducted camps in the South and regions rich in recruiting prospects.

The ruling Friday is effectively a win for the the SEC and ACC, which had banned their coaches from working camps at destinations outside a 50-mile radius from their schools.

Alabama coach Nick Saban spoke out against satellite camps this week in advance of the council's ruling, saying the proliferation of satellite camps could lead to dozens of camps annually in heavily populated cities.

"It sounds like a pretty ridiculous circumstance for me for something that nobody can really determine [if] it have any value anyway," Saban told AL.com

The issue landed in the crosshairs of the Division I Football Oversight Committee as part of that group's comprehensive review of recruiting issues. The oversight committee, chaired by Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby, last year formed a subcommittee to review camps and clinics.

The subcommittee investigated the need for legislation to address the growing divide over satellite camps and was to report its findings before the council reached a decision.

Look, I'm no fan of Harbaugh or of UM. But I had no problem with what I see to be innovative and progressive thinking. If "cash strapped" programs have a problem with it, then they are doing it wrong. I wholeheartedly disagree with this decision.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/15162704/ncaa-bans-satellite-camps-effective-immediately