Courtney Upshaw visiting falcons

HaRdH3ad

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Summerhill said:

I don't see how he has a place in this defense. 

If we see him as a SAM in our D, do we try and move Reed for a late round pick? Wondering if the staff thinks he can play with his hand in the dirt.  He did that a good bit in college

Here is an interesting write up regarding his free agency this off season:

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Late-For-work-22-Is-Courtney-Upshaw-The-Odd-Man-Out-In-Free-Agency/93b6ec96-ef76-44b2-b961-bfbb6a5a9d87

Is Courtney Upshaw The Odd Man Out In Free Agency?

It’s happening again. Courtney Upshaw is flying far, far beneath the radar.

Upshaw has always been the Ravens’ gritty linebacker that plays the unheralded edge-setting role and gets little attention for it. Therefore, it comes as no surprise that his pending free-agency status is rarely discussed.

A fan recently asked ESPN’s Jamison Hensley if the lack of chatter should be interpreted as a foregone conclusion that Upshaw will be the odd man out and the priority is to re-sign teammates Kelechi Osemeleicon-article-link.gif and Justin Tuckericon-article-link.gif.

Actually, no. Upshaw’s underrated status could become the Ravens’ gain.

“I wouldn't agree that Upshaw is the odd man out,” wrote Hensley. “I could be wrong, but I don't expect Upshaw to have a huge market in free agency because he didn't put up big numbers in his contract year.”

For outside linebackers to get a big payday, they usually need sacks, sacks and more sacks. That’s how Pernell McPhee priced himself out of Baltimore last year after amassing 7.5 sacks in a contract season.

Upshaw has always loved his role as a run defender, but coming into 2014, he wanted to prove he could do more, including getting after the passer. While he wasn’t wishing for an injury, Upshaw couldn’t have asked for a better opportunity after teammate Terrell Suggsicon-article-link.gif went down with a torn Achilles in Week 1.

But Upshaw really didn’t produce more sacks.

It took until late November to notch his first sack by blindsiding Rams quarterback Case Keenum and knocking the ball out with one minute remaining in the fourth quarter. The Ravens won the game five plays later. It was a big moment, but he only had two sacks the entire season and a total of five during his four-year career in Baltimore.

While that will hurt his free-agency options, the Ravens have always loved Upshaw and praised him for his durability, reliability and team-first attitude. They would be happy to get him back.

“The Ravens like Upshaw because he's reliable (Defensive Coordinator Dean Pees pointed out that Upshaw didn't miss a practice all year) and does a lot of the dirty work in setting the edge,” wrote Hensley. “This might be a case where he has more value to the Ravens than other teams.”

We need linebackers. He's one. I guess if the price is right. Seems like he'd be a good run defender like Reed. Nothing wrong with a little depth I suppose.

Free agent OLB Courtney Upshaw will visit the Falcons.

The Falcons are desperate for pass rushing help, but Upshaw is more of an edge setter than a pass rusher. He has five career sacks in four seasons. Upshaw has also visited the Jets. The Patriots and 49ers have reportedly shown interest as well.
Related: Falcons

Mar 24 - 11:45 AM