5 questions with Falcons prospect Darron Lee

Shaggy 2.0

FLOWERY BRANCH – Falcons coach Dan Quinn wants to improve the speed on defense.

Ohio State linebacker Darron Lee, who could be available when the Falcons select with the 17th pick overall, is speedy fast. He weighed in at 232 pounds at the NFL scouting combine and ran the 40-yard dash in 4.47 seconds. (Running back fast!)

Lee, of New Albany, Ohio, fits the new prototype of new age linebacker-safety types.

Here are five questions with The Ohio State Buckeye, who could be wearing red and black soon:

Q: Can you be a hybrid linebackers/safety?

A: “I think getting more speed to the defense, I know a lot of teams are looking for speed. I feel that’s something I’ll be able to do, me tuning up my technique and becoming more of a linebacker over these next couple of years, that will help me out.”

Q: Are you almost a new breed of linebacker?

A: “I feel linebackers are changing in the league, to be honest – a lot smaller. There aren’t really too many bigger guys. The game is getting faster and you need guys to cover. You’re starting to see that change a lot this year in the league.”

Q: What have you been specifically working on or want to show (NFL teams) during your workouts?

A: “Consistency in technique for sure. I think if I can show being consistent in my technique and even showing that on the field, that will get you out of some tough situations and help you play fundamentally sound. Being a fundamentally sound football player or linebacker will carry you a long way in your career.”

Q:  What were your main responsibilities for the Buckeyes?

A: “It was a mixture. It was a mix of everything, zone coverage and man coverage. It really depended on who we were playing that week and what coaches wanted to do. So it really depended on game plan.”

Q: In man coverage were you mainly covering running backs?

A: “No. Sometimes it would be tight end and sometimes it would even be speed receivers. I probably have some help here and there a little bit with a safety, but there’d be sometimes I’d have to cover speed receivers.”

4 minutes ago, Ben Day Hoe said:

He would look good in red and black! Will only get stronger as he gets older. He's only 21!!!

I know I just found that out earlier this week... I was like he is only 21?! turns 22 in November I think. If he is there at 17- take him!!

31 minutes ago, Shagpill 2.0 said:

Q: Can you be a hybrid linebackers/safety?

A: “I think getting more speed to the defense, I know a lot of teams are looking for speed. I feel that’s something I’ll be able to do, me tuning up my technique and becoming more of a linebacker over these next couple of years, that will help me out.”

Q:  What were your main responsibilities for the Buckeyes?

A: “It was a mixture. It was a mix of everything, zone coverage and man coverage. It really depended on who we were playing that week and what coaches wanted to do. So it really depended on game plan.”

A: “No. Sometimes it would be tight end and sometimes it would even be speed receivers. I probably have some help here and there a little bit with a safety, but there’d be sometimes I’d have to cover speed receivers.”

Between Richard Smith, Jeff Ulbrich, and our new Passing Game Coordinator, Jerome Henderson, he would get some good coaching.

Not afraid of a challenge