Figured I'd put something together for the guy I'm pulling for us to draft but who most have seen little to nothing of.

Note: This isn't a highlight video. There are a lot of plays where he's just in coverage, or showing how he handles himself in the run game, or how he guns for the QB, or simply plays where his closing speed is outrageous. It's not meant to make him look flawless (though it is mostly good plays), it's meant to show his style of play, which I think is a dead ringer for the defense Quinn is trying to build.

So enjoy.

Also, sorry that it might be hard to tell who he is at first for some plays - full screen helps, just look for the number. Don't have a lot of time to put these videos together due to work so I didn't go about highlighting him every play.

Would love to hear thoughts and discussion.

Floyd in the 1st, Jones in the 2nd, Feeney in the 3rd, James/Weatherly/Vigil in the 4th, Walker in the 7th. We might not hit on all of them but we'll hit on enough that LB and SS won't be problems anymore.I think Jones and Freeney can both play SS in our scheme honestly. Jones plays like a SS already.

6 minutes ago, Kayoh said:

Floyd in the 1st, Jones in the 2nd, Freeney in the 3rd, Vigil in the 4th, Walker in the 7th. We might not hit on all of them but we'll hit on enough that LB and SS won't be problems anymore.I think Jones and Freeney can both play SS in our scheme honestly. Jones plays like a SS already.

I think you are relying a lot on these guys 40 times to make your choices here. (esp Feeney)  Neither Jones nor Feeney has a shot in **** to play SS in this league if you watched them play...

Just now, gHost83 said:

I think you are relying a lot on these guys 40 times to make your choices here. (esp Feeney)  Neither Jones nor Feeney has a shot in **** to play SS in this league if you watched them play...

I literally just spent 10 minutes watching Jones play and he looks like a SS to me. You do realize the SS in Dan Quinn's scheme is basically just a nickel LB right? He'd be in the box over 80% of the time, covering TEs and occasionally dropping into underneath zones.

4 minutes ago, gHost83 said:

Ok. I respect your opinion.  I just disagree.

I just feel like we need speed on defense. Quinn keeps saying it so why would we think he's going to decide "meh, speed is okay but I can live without it" on draft day? 40 times are important, just not the most important. That's another reason why I chose the names I did - Leonard Floyd, Darron Lee, Travis Feeney, Joe Walker, Cory James and Stephen Weatherly are the top 6 names in my LB athlete score spreadsheet. Deion Jones is 12th on that list and Nick Vigil is 9th. This is out of 24 LBs I have complete data for. 

9 hours ago, TheTruth1886 said:

Overrated. A lot of people were saying take him in the second....he has a late third/early fourth round grade LOL

Didn't watch? 

8 hours ago, gHost83 said:

Neither Jones nor Feeney has a shot in **** to play SS in this league if you watched them play...

Didn't watch? 

8 hours ago, Kayoh said:

I literally just spent 10 minutes watching Jones play and he looks like a SS to me.

Ayy, you watched! 

But yeah, I do get Jones playing SS in Quinn's scheme - I just think he'd be better suited to adding 10-15 lbs and playing MLB or WLB, both of which he has experience and the skillset for. He's a leader and an all around good player, but he isn't the enforcer I think our SS ought to be.

2 hours ago, Falcan Moore said:

Didn't watch? 

Didn't watch? 

Ayy, you watched! 

But yeah, I do get Jones playing SS in Quinn's scheme - I just think he'd be better suited to adding 10-15 lbs and playing MLB or WLB, both of which he has experience and the skillset for. He's a leader and an all around good player, but he isn't the enforcer I think our SS ought to be.

My thing is, if he adds those 10-15 lbs, how much of that speed would he lose in the process?

32 minutes ago, droopy1592 said:

A lot of his tackles would be broken in the NFL. Seems legit for 2nd or 3rd

1 hour ago, osiruz said:

Too many shoe string tackles 

Yep, my biggest issue is his tackling. I've graded him as a mid 2nd rounder/back top 50 prospect since the beginning and he's still my favorite uninjured LB (not counting Jack or healthy Smith). This is just an incredibly weak class. Disagree with people wanting to trade up, or take him in the 1st, but I'm all for it in the 2nd.

This is his only year starting. I see his floor as Kwon Alexander (who I also loved, but Jones can easily be better) and his ceiling as a faster Brandon Marshall kinda player.  Low risk player in a simple scheme imo. Get the tackling sorted and he's great. He's obviously not afraid of contact. 

@Kayoh, I doubt he'd lose too much. He has speed to spare. But with added muscle, he could be a seriously dangerous player. 

2 hours ago, Falcan Moore said:

Didn't watch? 

Didn't watch? 

Ayy, you watched! 

Obviously it's implied that I have watched both play.  So, did watch both quite a bit bruh.

1 hour ago, gHost83 said:

Obviously it's implied that I have watched both play.  So, did watch both quite a bit bruh.

I meant the video. Either way, don't prefer him at SS.

Should mention that in every game I watched - every single one - he never took a bad angle. Sure, he missed a few tackles due to not breaking down well enough, and he overran a couple plays to where he had to try an arm tackle due to his speed, but not ONCE did he just take a horrible angle that led to a bunch of extra yards - or worse - while he tried to catch up. That's a rare trait. He also has phenomenal instincts for such a young player. 

4 minutes ago, Romfal said:

people look too much at what someone can't do and not enough at what they can. thx for posting

You sounded like Quinn there. That's exactly what he said about Beasely, when he was questioned about the pick last year.

13 hours ago, gHost83 said:

Yeah he's got some kind of Kayo score that he truly believes is tried, tested and true. He's gonna shove that sht down our throats too. Anybody that drafts a player with a low Kayo score is a clown. What a crock. I bet that Kayo score doesn't measure heart, football smarts or want to.

5 minutes ago, hjerry said:

No disrespect Moore, but I'm going to post his 2015 vids here as well, to put things in perspective, and for those who want to see a more broad view on him.

100% fine by me. I feel like they'll only reinforce my point. Just figured people would like something more condensed so they don't have to spend a couple hours. Only real issue in any of his games that persists is tackling.

• 9 months later...
2 minutes ago, Falcan Moore said:

Shameless bump and ego stroke :D

But really, the improvement from his sole college season to now is incredible. Just watch the video.  If he makes even half that leap from this year to next year, he'll be a Pro Bowler. So happy we got him instead of the Saints. 

WOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!