Mack Excited To Play In Shanahan’s System Again

Mack Excited To Play In Shanahan’s System Again

Posted Mar 17, 2016

Andrew Hirsh

After playing under Kyle Shanahan in Cleveland, Alex Mack has been reunited with his former offensive coordinator in Atlanta. And the veteran center is excited to once again play in a system he thrives in.

When Alex Mack steps onto the gridiron for his first practice at Flowery Branch, he’ll already have a good idea of what it’s like to play for Atlanta.

That’s because the 30-year-old center, who agreed to five-year contact with the Falcons last week, a spent a year working with Kyle Shanahan in Cleveland. There, Mack learned how to play in a scheme that emphasizes speed, lateral movements and legal cut blocks. And he liked the structure enough to leave the only NFL team he’s known, the one that drafted him 21st overall in 2009, to be a part of it again.

“It’s a system I’m comfortable with,” Mack said. “I was with (Shanahan) two years ago in Cleveland and I really like how the system works. I thought we had a good thing going. It made me very comfortable knowing it was an offensive system I can do and can perform well in.”

The Falcons’ offense experienced a lot of highs and lows in 2015. It started hot, helping Atlanta to a 5-0 record and racking up plenty of yards and touchdowns; as the year wore on, however, it dealt with a lot of adversity.

Those second-half issues were concerning, but as veterans like Mack know, it’s difficult—if not impossible—to fully grasp an NFL scheme in 12 months.

“The longer you’re in a system, the better you’re going to run it,” said Mack. “The more in tuned everyone will be, the better you get at running the offense. So having another year under the belt, having the team know what’s expected of them and a whole year of film to watch and learn from, you really become a well-oiled machine.”

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/blog/article-1/Mack-Excited-to-Play-in-Shanahans-System-Again/fdf7f16a-2826-46af-b7a1-05f77c319278

9 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Yeah, I say nonsense.  I have it on good authority that everybody hates Shanahan.  Mack is only in this for the money.

/purp

Well a cool 50 mill smooths over a lot!!

But yeah I think people are over blowing his issue.....shannahan is a control freak but that is like 90 % of offensive coaches in the league..

2 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

Well a cool 50 mill smooths over a lot!!

But yeah I think people are over blowing his issue.....shannahan is a control freak but that is like 90 % of offensive coaches in the league..

I know, right?  A coach wanting players to play within the system and do what the gameplan calls for.

The nerve of that ***hole.

1 hour ago, HouseofEuphoria said:

Players will say anything to get out of Cleveland.

1 hour ago, atlshocker said:

Or excited to play for someone other than the Browns

He could have gone to any team in need of an all star center but picked the Falcons......  He bought in on the system, understands how it works and believes it will be a winner........Happy as heII to have him aboard.............  

What did y'all expect him to say? It's not like he had 31 other teams he could have signed with or something.

I mean, when Arthur Blank says in 5 minutes your signature or your brains are going to be on that contract, you sign.  And when Arthur Blank says you will say nice things about the pimple faced offensive coordinator that only got hired because his daddy is was a head coach (even though no one on our staff except the offensive coordinator has any ties to daddy), well, you do that too, because you are used to walking without a limp.  It's not like Alex Mack was a free agent.  I mean, good grief, y'all act like this is a free country and Alex Mack has a will of his own.

Idiots.

#notenoughpurpinthewholeworld

On 3/18/2016 at 5:27 PM, GTBF54 said:

This can't be.... A Pro Bowl top tier lineman wanting to play for Shanny........ :lol: 

Exactly !!

How dare one of the BEST O linemen ever to blow up all the Shanahan hate here !!!  I guess they'll have to find a new scapegoat.