Falcons to conduct private workout with LSU's Deion Jones

Falcons to conduct private workout with LSU's Deion Jones

Vaughn McClure - ESPN Staff Writer

The Atlanta Falcons, seeking more speed at linebacker, have a private workout scheduled with draft prospect Deion Jones from LSU on Thursday.

The 6-foot-1-inch, 221-pound Jones is fresh off running a 4.38 in the 40-yard dash at LSU's Pro Day, faster than the 4.59 he posted at the NFL combine. He started generating interest from the Falcons during the Senior Bowl.

"Definitely excited," Jones said about the upcoming workout.

Jones, projected as a late second or early third-round pick, also posted a 35 1/2 inch vertical jump and did 18 reps at 225 pounds on the bench press during his Pro Day.

LSU coach Les Miles offered high praise after Jones' blazing 40 time.

"Not a lot of linebackers in history will run like that," Miles said. "That guy may be the fastest linebacker that I personally have been around that had any size to him at all. He’s absolutely the first. That fits into the NFL game as a guy that can move and make plays and has ball skills. He’s going to fit right into the NFL game."

Jones said he has a number of workouts upcoming.

"I just want to show them how hard I work and that I can get after it," Jones said.

The New Orleans native said during the Senior Bowl that his father, a diehard Saints fan, might not like him going to the Falcons. Maybe those thoughts have changed considering the Falcons' interest.

"He'll get over it," Jones said. "He won't have a choice."

Last season at LSU, Jones had a team-leading 100 total tackles, 13.5 tackles for losses, five sacks, two interceptions, and a forced fumble.

It's no secret the Falcons need help at linebacker, particularly at the weak-side spot following the release of injury-prone Justin Durant. They pursued both Danny Trevathan and Jerrell Freeman in free agency only to see both sign with the Bears. They re-signed former first-round draft pick Sean Weatherspoon to a one-year deal with no guaranteed money in order for him to prove himself. The only other inside linebacker in the mix is starting middle linebacker and leading tackler Paul Worrilow, who still has to sign his one-year, $2.553 million restricted free agent tender.

There is a strong possibility the Falcons could target a speedy linebacker such as Ohio State's Darron Lee with the 17th overall pick in the draft. It wouldn't be a surprise to see them follow up with another linebacker such as Jones after that, considering the need at the position.

Falcons coach Dan Quinn has emphasized the need for speed since the beginning of the offseason

http://espn.go.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/post/_/id/19530/falcons-to-work-out-lsus-deion-jones

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

Falcons need to trade down in 1st if Shaq Lawson is off the board.   We desperately need an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick.   We need 4 picks in the top 100 instead of 3.

Would be a nice change if we could get extra picks instead of giving extra picks.

Honestly my personal value for him is about where we are picking I the first. I really like him and wouldn't be mad if he was picked at 17. Hopefully we can trade back and still get him or get him in the second. Bullard, Jones, and Karl Joseph are my big three for us in this draft. Hoping we can at least get two 

5 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Falcons need to trade down in 1st if Shaq Lawson is off the board.   We desperately need an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick.   We need 4 picks in the top 100 instead of 3.

I would agree with this sentiment...you know as well as most good posters...it takes two to tango...

As I look at the teams behind us in the 1st round....I'm nto sure I see a solid suitor to move up for X player???

NE and ARI are both out because they either don't ahve a 1st round pick or a 2nd round pick...

KC lost its 3rd rounder for tampering, so they are most likely out...

That leaves:

18. IND....won't give us enough to move one post, doesn't make sense.

19. BUF....again, very similar to IND...they do have a 3rd round comp pick, so may be more willing...but probably a 2nd round trading partner for teams in early part of 2nd round

20. NYJ....would only net us #83....and again, who would they really want to move ahead fo 2 teams? Probably want OLB, which if Lee is on the board, I dont think we trade

21. WAS....only get #84...needs OL, so this is a possibility with IND and BUF potentially having needs there as well, bu we would be moving behind NYJ (OLB)

22. HOU....only get #85...need OL, similar to WAS trade

23. MIN...would net #86...they have made a lot of draft day trades recently, but again we would move behind NYJ. MIN is all on Offense right now...

24. CIN...only net #87..this team hardly ever moves around, but usually trades back. They would most likely be moving up for DT or LB, which we might not want to drop on

25. PIT...now we might get a 3rd and maybe a 4th rounder....but who is available at #17 that is really wanted on defense...and why shouldn't we just take that player?

26. SEA...a possible 2nd rounder, if we throw in our 7th or a player...but still most likely a 3rd and 4th, and may be more likely b/c they ahve a 3rd rd comp pick

27. GB...this is most logical...GB has 2 4th round comp picks, so may be more likely to give away a 2nd...and the trade value chart is pretty close...but GB loves draft picks

30. CAR....Divisional foe...NEVER going to happen...

31. DEN...they have a 3rd round comp pick...this would be interesting if one of the top 2 QBs were on the board...still this would need to be a player that DEN covets...we could get a 2nd rounder from them...but is it worth falling 14 spots? and what players would be picked?

Just thinking aloud here...I'm all for trading back...but who will be available when we finally get to pick, how much compensation will there be?

I would rather seek a 2nd round trade and get an additional 3rd rounder and a 5th rounder...

32 minutes ago, Ben Day Hoe said:

Would be a nice change if we could get extra picks instead of giving extra picks.

between Shaq Lawson, Kevin Dodd, Emmanuel Ogbah, Leonard Floyd, Noah Spence, A'Shawn Robinson, Andrew Billings and Darron Lee - there are just too many prospects similiarly rated not to consider a trade-down of 5-14 spots.  I would trade back as far as Denver's #31 pick - don't think I would trade entirely out of the 1st round.

For example (using trade chart):

Small Trade-down strategy:

Falcons (#1-017 = 950pts), trading back 6 spots would garner us Bengals 1st(#24 = 740pts), 3rd(#87 = 155pts) and 4th(#122 = 50pts) for a total point discrepancy of only 5 points (950 vs. 945).

Falcons would then have:

#1-024(f/ Cincy)

#2-050

#3-081

#3-087 (f/ Cincy)

#4-115

#4-122 (f/ Cincy)

Big Trade-down strategy:

Falcons trade (#1-017 = 950pts), trading back 13 spots with Carolina for Panthers 1st(#30 = 620pts), 2nd(#62 = 284pts) and 4th(#129 = 43pts) for a total point discrepancy of 3 points (950pts vs. 947).

Falcons would then have:

#1-031 (f/ Carolina)

#2-050

#2-062 (f/ Carolina)

#3-081

#4-115

#4-129 (f/ Carolina)

G-Dawg Analysis:

I see either of these trade-down EXAMPLES as a boon to the Falcons because I believe we still get a quality player in 1st round who can make an impact AND the potential to add another long-term starter with the extra picks.  I am not locked into these two teams but this is used as an example using a the NFL trade chart to give you an idea of what we could get for our pick.

9 minutes ago, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

I would agree with this sentiment...you know as well as most good posters...it takes two to tango...

As I look at the teams behind us in the 1st round....I'm nto sure I see a solid suitor to move up for X player???

NE and ARI are both out because they either don't ahve a 1st round pick or a 2nd round pick...

KC lost its 3rd rounder for tampering, so they are most likely out...

That leaves:

18. IND....won't give us enough to move one post, doesn't make sense.

19. BUF....again, very similar to IND...they do have a 3rd round comp pick, so may be more willing...but probably a 2nd round trading partner for teams in early part of 2nd round

20. NYJ....would only net us #83....and again, who would they really want to move ahead fo 2 teams? Probably want OLB, which if Lee is on the board, I dont think we trade

21. WAS....only get #84...needs OL, so this is a possibility with IND and BUF potentially having needs there as well, bu we would be moving behind NYJ (OLB)

22. HOU....only get #85...need OL, similar to WAS trade

23. MIN...would net #86...they have made a lot of draft day trades recently, but again we would move behind NYJ. MIN is all on Offense right now...

24. CIN...only net #87..this team hardly ever moves around, but usually trades back. They would most likely be moving up for DT or LB, which we might not want to drop on

25. PIT...now we might get a 3rd and maybe a 4th rounder....but who is available at #17 that is really wanted on defense...and why shouldn't we just take that player?

26. SEA...a possible 2nd rounder, if we throw in our 7th or a player...but still most likely a 3rd and 4th, and may be more likely b/c they ahve a 3rd rd comp pick

27. GB...this is most logical...GB has 2 4th round comp picks, so may be more likely to give away a 2nd...and the trade value chart is pretty close...but GB loves draft picks

30. CAR....Divisional foe...NEVER going to happen...

31. DEN...they have a 3rd round comp pick...this would be interesting if one of the top 2 QBs were on the board...still this would need to be a player that DEN covets...we could get a 2nd rounder from them...but is it worth falling 14 spots? and what players would be picked?

Just thinking aloud here...I'm all for trading back...but who will be available when we finally get to pick, how much compensation will there be?

I would rather seek a 2nd round trade and get an additional 3rd rounder and a 5th rounder...

disagree.   If you are going to trade, the round to trade in is round#1 where the talent level is relatively flat from #13 - 35.   Teams that want a long-term QB to develop like a Paxton Lynch might move up.  Denver comes to mind here.  Agree that no other team in the bottom-half of the 1st round really resonates for a trade-up - but it only takes one team who is hot for 1 player to make the difference.

I don't believe we will want to trade back in 2nd round at all - there is going to be a player we are dying for at #2-050.

I do not thank Jones gos round 2 unless late in the 2nd. He is a 1 year starter fast but would be a reach at 2. But our front office has done this before in rd 2. We are not trading back they will pick at 17 I will say Ragland or Floyd will be the pick.

Edited by JJC28

1 minute ago, JJC28 said:

I do not thank Jones gos round 2 unless late in the 2nd. He is a 1 year starter fast but would be a reach at 2. But our front office has done this before in rd 2.

I agree.  I believe #2-050(Falcons 2nd rd pick) is a little rich for Deion Jones.  Unfortunately, I think he will be gone by Falcons 3rd round pick(#81).   This is where the trade-down in 1st round would help us secure a player like Deion without having to reach a little early.   We need one more late 2nd round pick.

17 minutes ago, JJC28 said:

I do not thank Jones gos round 2 unless late in the 2nd. He is a 1 year starter fast but would be a reach at 2. But our front office has done this before in rd 2. We are not trading back they will pick at 17 I will say Ragland or Floyd will be the pick.

Shaq Lawson is a one year starter. Deion Jones was also a finalist for the Butkus award. Over 100 tackles and 13.5 tackles for a loss. He was also a team captain. He's not the same kind of project Jalen Collins was because he's more than just a physical freak. He's one **** of a football player. Plus he's named after Primetime  

30 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

disagree.   If you are going to trade, the round to trade in is round#1 where the talent level is relatively flat from #13 - 35.   Teams that want a long-term QB to develop like a Paxton Lynch might move up.  Denver comes to mind here.  Agree that no other team in the bottom-half of the 1st round really resonates for a trade-up - but it only takes one team who is hot for 1 player to make the difference.

I don't believe we will want to trade back in 2nd round at all - there is going to be a player we are dying for at #2-050.

If I had my druthers, aka "Madden draft"....but I think the scenario is not too far from reality...

Trade #17, 4th rounder, 2017 2nd rounder, and Tyson Jackson to NYJ for #20 and Mohammad Wilkerson.

Then trade #20 and #81 (1035pts) to DEN for #31, #63, and #95 (1000pts)....

We then have the following:

Mohammad Wilkerson (DT)...starting DT...

#31 Deion Jones WLB.....starting WLB (fast)

#50 Jaylon Smith MLB....starting MLB in 2017 (fast)

#63 Miles Killebrew SS....starting SS (athletic and downhill player)

#93 Travis Feeney SLB....backup SLB for Reed (athletic and downhill)

7th: BPA at WR...depth after Hester cut....

This assumes Beirmann, Schofield, and Stupar are brought back and we roll with Person at RG....

Beasley/Berimann, Hageman/Jarrett, Wilkerson/Babs, Shelby/Clayborn

Jones/Laurinaitis, Worrilow/Smith/Stupar, Reed/Freeney

Trufat/Collins, Alford/King/FA, Allen/Godfrey, Killebrew/Ishmael

Edited by Matt_The Iceman_Ryan

Lawson may very well be there at 17 I just got this gut feeling that Ragland and Floyd are there pick. if we come back with Jones at 2 I maybe down with that we get a TE or G at 3. Last year they were pulling guys later in the draft a rd after they should have went. I like Jones way better than Lee.

Edited by JJC28