Trade Matt Ryan to Denver before Elways gets his QB!

iDash

9 hours ago, stizz said:

I get it, no free agency news so you thought this would be a good idea.

On another note, I'd hate to see New Orleans get that kid from Clemson when he comes out. 3 mobile QB's in the division would be a nightmare.

I think we will be fine - our defense seems geared towards containing mobile QBs

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Realistically, what would it take for you to pull the trigger? Draft picks? Two 1sts+? A 1st and a 2nd? 

Keep in mind: Alex Smith was traded 2-3 years ago for two seconds. Sam Bradford was traded for a second (basically). Cutler was 2 firsts, a third and Kyle Orton. 

What do you think would be adequate compensation? 

This is what I was coming to say. No one has even said what they would trade Ryan for. They lost some big pieces of their D, Ware ain't getting younger, so they aren't trading any valuable D players, that would also defeat the purpose of going all in for a guy like Ryan while they still have a D. And you mentioned above what average QBs get traded for.

I don't usually entertain these hair brained threads, but realistically, our FO would laugh at anything less than two 1st round picks, and probably a few other 2 or 3rd rounders. The reason no one can think of adequate compensation is because you don't trade a QB as good as Ryan. It doesn't happen.

I think one major bone of contention here is that Matt Ryan is a top 10 QB. No GM in their right mind would trade away a top-10 QB for any three players/draft picks you might offer. But is Matt Ryan really a top-10 QB? If he was before, is he still at that level? I don't think so. He was obviously overwhelmed by the ZBS system, but he had myriad other issues as well. In many games last season, he looked more like a bottom-10 QB. Terrible throws, terrible decisions, didn't take care of the ball, took too many sacks that could've been avoided. 

Matt Ryan has been a great player for the Falcons, but he's never been able to take this team to the next level where it matters most, which is the play-offs. If anyone wants to argue he's a top-10 regular season QB, that has some validity. In the play-offs, Matt Ryan has been very, very mediocre.

If the Matt Ryan of last season shows up again this season, then the Falcons will have already missed their opportunity to get maximum value for a player who has passed his prime and is heading rapidly downward toward retirement or a guy who retains his job because of his big contract and the fear the team won't be able to find anyone to take his place. I tend to think we could find another QB. Certainly we could find a QB that could perform as well in this new offense as Matt Ryan did last season. 

I like Matt Ryan, but if I were GM, I'd listen to offers, and if the right package were to be offered, I'd pull the trigger.

People are significantly overstating how "bad" he was last year. 

He made some very bad decisions and very bad throws. But these were still very much in the minority of his throws. He remained highly accurate, was a bit more mobile, looked more comfortable throwing on the run, etc. 

There were growing pains for sure. But people suggesting he was really bad or awful need to watch more QBing around the league, IMO. 

15 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Again, it ain't happenin'. It would have to be an outrageously good deal, say RG3 type numbers. That was 3 number 1s and a couple of 2s? That's where the talks would start.

I believe I started this by saying I'm not opposed to trading Ryan but you could never get enough value in return to make it worth your while.

I was legitimately asking, not arguing. Just trying to get a sense of what you would be looking for. 

Matt Ryan is a beast, more importantly hes our beast. All of you that want to get rid of Matt are just sour because we wont get the players you want. You want to trade him? For what? Matt is top 3 QB point blank period. You people are delusional. We will get rid of Matt when he cant play anymore. Right now hes our guy and NOTHING is going to change that.

4 hours ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Meanwhile, in the last two weeks....Sam Bradford and Brock Osweiler have been paid $60million guaranteed.

Yep. They're going to cut him any second.

smh

Not talking about Ryan being released.  Players -can- request a trade.  And you never know what this FO will do.....

23 minutes ago, krammmit said:

Still don't understand how this thread exists

Because people are dumb and just spew things from their pieholes without thinking it through.

Matt Ryan is not good, but the Broncos will give us all kinds of picks and/or players for him.

TD sucks, but with the picks we get from trading Ryan, we'll get all pro-bowlers, including the next great QB, easy.

Ryan almost led the Falcons to a SB appearance with great performances against top defenses - Seattle and 49ers, but he's always sucked in the playoffs.

See first sentence....people are just dumb, and unfortunately any moron with a computer and internet connection can spew their stupidity whenever they want.

I play Madden and Fantasy football.....I know what I'm talking about.

11 hours ago, Silvoxx said:

Because this defense is not even on the same playing field as denvers. Matt has had nothing but talent around him his whole career. Aaron Rogers or tom Brady would die to have the talent Matt has had around him and he has nothing to show from it.

The Falcons have so many stupid fans.  SMH

2 hours ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

I was legitimately asking, not arguing. Just trying to get a sense of what you would be looking for. 

Aaah, thought you were misinterpreting what I was saying. Basically, I'd ask so much for Ryan that no GM in his right mind would do it.

Smh. Okay, let's say we do trade Ryan? Heck, throw Schaub in there too. Do you really want to sit through the exact same thing as last year with a new qb trying to learn Shanny's system? Take away part of the reason Mack came here and have a rookie qb probably not near as smart as Matt will be at reading defenses? Ask Cleveland how not having a good qb works out for them.

29 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

How in the world is Ryan a beast? If he is a beast then we need a new term for what we were saying a beast is.

How in the world does Ryan suck? If he sucks then we need a new term for what we were saying sucks is.

Now that the two extremes are represented....back to your regularly scheduled debate consisting of the remaining 98%.