Trade Matt Ryan to Denver before Elways gets his QB!

iDash

2 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Denver is struggling to find a QB.  Falcons have a franchise QB that half the fans want to keep and the other half want to get rid of.  Let's just hand him over to Denver (cause you know franchise QBs are so easy to find) what say you fan base?

Now I love me some Matty Ice but if Denver were crazy and said a number 1 and 2 this season, a number 1 and 2 next season...I'd be like hmmm...

ONLY way you do that is IF you have your eye on the next Franchise QB coming out either this(a very weak QB draft) or next year(which I kinda like Watson). 

Also, to get the guy next your that would essentially mean we would have to tank this year and roll the dice with a rookie going into the new building.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Door Gunner said:

That would be great for Matt. But this defense is no were near good enough to keep us in a game with a Trent type QB at the helm. However we could get a lot of top five first round draft picks for quite some time and the boards would be entertaining.

Ironically for Mack it would be like home(Cleveland) for him again! lol

Problem is...................I dont believe ANY general manager looks at Matt Ryan as being no more than MAYBE a high second rounder at this point of his career. Matt looked horrible in that new Shanahan offense and he never had the best throwing arm anyway. 

An we do what for a QB? Just as we are finally getting him some OL line help we trade him?  I don't think so. Matt will retire a Falcon in 2 or 3 years. Don't see him trying to "hang on" like the sad end of the careers of jocks like Farve.

5 hours ago, egoprime II said:

Ryan leaving the Falcons is a lot closer to reality than folks think.  But not this year.  Next off season onward, anything can happen.  Denver certainly is an option.  So is Dallas, Chicago, Philly, Arizona, several others.

Meanwhile, in the last two weeks....Sam Bradford and Brock Osweiler have been paid $60million guaranteed.

Yep. They're going to cut him any second.

smh

41 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

Problem is...................I dont believe ANY general manager looks at Matt Ryan as being no more than MAYBE a high second rounder at this point of his career. Matt looked horrible in that new Shanahan offense and he never had the best throwing arm anyway. 

lololololol.

Do you people even pay attention to the league or just the **** that happens on this board? 

5 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

lololololol.

Do you people even pay attention to the league or just the **** that happens on this board? 

Got NFL sunday ticket, Saw MOST of the league last year. Name ONE top 10 list that NFL people put Ryan on.

Edited by slickgadawg

Not opposed to trading Ryan, but there's just no way any team is going to give up enough to make it worth your while. Cap hit hit would be hard to take too.

Also want to see him in the second year of the offense with an improved Oline.

Now, the Saints might make a trade like that, got a 30 mil cap hit on Brees,He's 37, they may feel the best thing to dois take the cap hit, get some picks, start over.

6 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

I'm not even sure what this is asking for....

Quarterbacks can't have any bad years. It's sinful, and only the elite quarterbacks are ones who win playoff games and win Superbowls...

Let me find my puple pen...i got it here somewhere.

Dan Marino should get a free sucker punch on the people that keep bringing this up. I could name a few others, but I'm sure the punch would be good enough without a total beating.

5 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Not opposed to trading Ryan, but there's just no way any team is going to give up enough to make it worth your while. Cap hit hit would be hard to take too.

Also want to see him in the second year of the offense with an improved Oline.

Now, the Saints might make a trade like that, got a 30 mil cap hit on Brees,He's 37, they may feel the best thing to dois take the cap hit, get some picks, start over.

If we cut/traded him tomorrow, we'd gain $5m in cap space. Next year, that jumps to a $13m gain. So I don't think its really much of a money thing. 

And then you're left without a QB. You've downgraded from good-to-very-good starter down to empty chair. At 17, you're probably able to draft Paxton Lynch.Your best FA replacements would be: RGIII (who is off the board because of his history with Shanahan), Ryan Fitzpatrick (who would cost you ~$10m per year), Matt Moore, Charlie Whitehurst, Brandon Weeden, etc.

Again, we're in a climate where mediocre-to-bad starters are getting paid $18m a year. And now we should trade our good+ starter for.....? For the benefit of having "no sacred cows"? 

3 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

If we cut/traded him tomorrow, we'd gain $5m in cap space. Next year, that jumps to a $13m gain. So I don't think its really much of a money thing. 

And then you're left without a QB. You've downgraded from good-to-very-good starter down to empty chair. At 17, you're probably able to draft Paxton Lynch.Your best FA replacements would be: RGIII (who is off the board because of his history with Shanahan), Ryan Fitzpatrick (who would cost you ~$10m per year), Matt Moore, Charlie Whitehurst, Brandon Weeden, etc.

Again, we're in a climate where mediocre-to-bad starters are getting paid $18m a year. And now we should trade our good+ starter for.....? For the benefit of having "no sacred cows"? 

I did say nobody would make it worth my while to make the trade. It'd have to be some combination of the Hershel Walker and RGIII trade to make it worth doing.

14 minutes ago, falconidae said:

I did say nobody would make it worth my while to make the trade. It'd have to be some combination of the Hershel Walker and RGIII trade to make it worth doing.

Realistically, what would it take for you to pull the trigger? Draft picks? Two 1sts+? A 1st and a 2nd? 

Keep in mind: Alex Smith was traded 2-3 years ago for two seconds. Sam Bradford was traded for a second (basically). Cutler was 2 firsts, a third and Kyle Orton. 

What do you think would be adequate compensation? 

We were having a discussion about fans being crazy and over the top about player performance.  I think it was directly related to some bashing Sanu and stating that he can't catch or drops too many balls.  I brought up the fact that I think too many posters lack real "depth" of knowledge on NFL players.  I think this thread/post falls into that category and here is why.

QB is the most important position on the field.  You have a good QB without a doubt.  Why in the world would you trade a known quantity for draft picks?  You basically would be taking away your teams ability to be competitive for 2016 and maybe beyond.  Julio Jones would be a waste at that point.  RB's life span is pretty short in the NFL and you would really waste the next 2 years for Freeman, that puts him up against free agency.

I just don't understand the mentality that looks at draft picks as 100% pure 24k gold, but a player that may not be perfect is look at as expendable.  I think you at a minimum need to see how Matt plays in 2016.  If he is just as bad in 2016 as 2015, then it is time to prepare to move on.  So if you think Matt Ryan is expendable, you better be ready to deal with life without a franchise QB.  More young QB turn into a Johnny Manziel or EJ Manuel than Matt Ryan.

I just looked back at the 80 guys drafted in rounds 1-3 since 2000.  29 of them I would call good QB's (some it is a bit early to say that about) for some period of time.  The other 51 I would call disappointments. That is 36% that you are hitting on at QB in the top 3 rounds.  I don't like those odds.  Especially with the amount of importance on that position and how much they make.  You cross that bridge when you naturally come to it.  Not just for the heck of it.

QB Hits       QB Misses
2015   Garrett Grayson   2015   Jameis Winston
2015   Sean Mannion   2015   Marcus Mariota
2014   Johnny Manziel   2014   Blake Bortles
2014   Jimmy Garoppolo   2014   Teddy Bridgewater
2013   EJ Manuel   2014   Derek Carr
2013   Geno Smith   2012   Andrew Luck
2013   Mike Glennon   2012   Ryan Tannehill
2012   Robert Griffin   2012   Brock Osweiler
2012   Brandon Weeden   2012   Russell Wilson
2012   Nick Foles   2011   Cam Newton
2011   Jake Locker   2011   Andy Dalton
2011   Blaine Gabbert   2010   Sam Bradford
2011   Christian Ponder   2009   Matthew Stafford
2011   Colin Kaepernick   2009   Mark Sanchez
2011   Ryan Mallett   2008   Matt Ryan
2010   Tim Tebow   2008   Joe Flacco
2010   Jimmy Clausen   2006   Jay Cutler
2010   Colt McCoy   2005   Alex Smith
2009   Josh Freeman   2005   Aaron Rodgers
2009   Pat White   2005   Jason Campbell
2008   Brian Brohm   2004   Eli Manning
2008   Chad Henne   2004   Philip Rivers
2008   Kevin O'Connell   2004   Ben Roethlisberger
2007   JaMarcus Russell   2004   Matt Schaub
2007   Brady Quinn   2003   Carson Palmer
2007   Kevin Kolb   2003   Rex Grossman
2007   John Beck   2003   Byron Leftwich
2007   Drew Stanton   2001   Drew Brees
2007   Trent Edwards   2000   Chad Pennington
2006   Vince Young        
2006   Matt Leinart        
2006   Kellen Clemens        
2006   Tarvaris Jackson        
2006   Charlie Whitehurst        
2006   Brodie Croyle        
2005   Charlie Frye        
2005   Andrew Walter        
2005   David Greene        
2004   J.P. Losman        
2003   Kyle Boller        
2003   Dave Ragone        
2003   Chris Simms        
2002   David Carr        
2002   Joey Harrington        
2002   Patrick Ramsey        
2002   Josh McCown        
2001   Michael Vick        
2001   Quincy Carter        
2001   Marques Tuiasosopo      
2000   Giovanni Carmazzi        
2000   Chris Redman        

13 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Realistically, what would it take for you to pull the trigger? Draft picks? Two 1sts+? A 1st and a 2nd? 

Keep in mind: Alex Smith was traded 2-3 years ago for two seconds. Sam Bradford was traded for a second (basically). Cutler was 2 firsts, a third and Kyle Orton. 

What do you think would be adequate compensation? 

Again, it ain't happenin'. It would have to be an outrageously good deal, say RG3 type numbers. That was 3 number 1s and a couple of 2s? That's where the talks would start.

I believe I started this by saying I'm not opposed to trading Ryan but you could never get enough value in return to make it worth your while.