Walterfootball.com Falcon Free Agent Grades (they are not a fan of Sanu - LOL)

falconsb_logo.gif Falcons sign WR Mohamed Sanu (5 years, $32.5M; $14M guaranteed): LAUGHING TOO HARD TO CONCENTRATE ON KIELBASA INSERTION Grade 
Whoever was responsible for this signing needs to be thrown in prison for stupidity. It's that horrible. In fact, it's so terrible that even Matt Millen, who was notorious for overpaying pedestrian receivers, must be laughing at it. The Falcons should apologize to him for spoiling the mood. 

I don't get the thought process behind this. Sure, the Falcons needed a new No. 2 receiver, but that doesn't mean that they should've thrown $32.5 million at a terrible player. And Sanu is terrible for sure. Sanu caught just 33 balls in 2015, and in the year before, when he was utilized more in the wake of numerous injuries, he led the league in dropped passes, all while struggling to separate. He logged 56 catches for 790 yards. 

A realistic contract for Sanu should've been a 2-year, $5 million deal with about $1.5 million guaranteed. And that's being generous. It's quite apparent that the Falcons haven't watched any tape of Sanu. Either that, or they're intentionally trying to ruin Millen's afternoon. 

2-mohamed-sanu-wr-cincinnati-bengals-30-

falconsb_logo.gif Falcons sign C Alex Mack (5 years, $45M; $28.5M guaranteed): B- Grade 
I can't blame Atlanta fans if they are being overly enthusiastic about this signing. Alex Mack was the top center on the market, and he'll be filling a huge need for the team. Matt Ryan's pass protection has been poor over the past few seasons, and Mack, in theory, should be able to help the veteran quarterback bounce back after a couple of down years. 

However, it should be noted that Atlanta's front office has been guilty of overpaying on past production in the current regime. Acquisitions like Steven Jackson, Paul Soliai and Osi Umenyiora come to mind. I can't help but think that this could be another instance. Mack has been fantastic, and he'll feel at home in Kyle Shanahan's zone-blocking scheme, but the fact of the matter is that he'll turn 31 in November. He could still be able to play on a very high level, but there's a chance that he'll begin to regress soon, given that he's now into his 30s. Either way, the Falcons probably won't be getting Mack at his best, though 90 percent is still great. 

Having said that, I can't grade this poorly. We're not living in a secret world where the Falcons have been fine at center; Alex Mack more than satisfies that need. Plus, as I wrote earlier, I don't have an issue if a team wants to slightly overpay for a player who can protect the franchise quarterback. 

usatsi_6866376_221200_lowres.jpg

falconsb_logo.gif Falcons re-sign DE Adrian Clayborn (2 years, $9 million): B Grade 
Adrian Clayborn missed all but one game in 2014 because of torn biceps, but returned to the field this past season and played well. The stats don't show it (3 sacks), but he got to the quarterback rather well in sub packages. 

The Falcons are making a solid move by bringing Clayborn back. He reportedly generated some interest from other teams, so it sounds like another organization would've paid him more. Thus, Atlanta is getting a decent bargain. 

falconsb_logo.gif Falcons sign DE Derrick Shelby (4 years, $18 million): B Grade 
The Dolphins didn't want to keep Derrick Shelby around because he's too young for their roster. Shelby only turned 27 this month, making him quite unappealing for the Dolphins. The Falcons won't complain, as they managed to find a potential starter across from Vic Beasley. 

Shelby hasn't started much as a pro, but he looked good playing in place of Cameron Wake last year. He was good in run support and only OK in terms of getting to the quarterback, but he has potential. At four years and $18 million, he's a pretty decent bargain. 
web1_AP21714759733_2.jpg?itok=25KfiNPy

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that we over paid, but whoever wrote this is exaggerating. And I always lol when "professional" writers say things like "Why pay him $32.5 million" when everyone knows that the dude isn't going to get 32.5 million dollars. Smh. The writer should have just kept it broad and said he thinks we over paid. Now he looks like an idiot. 

1 minute ago, MayorWest13 said:

I liked the other signings...

yeah me too.....I even like Sanu but we are paying him like he is an elite #2 WR when he is more like a better-than average #3.  His play will need to rise significantly for him to be worth that contract.

Just now, RYNE said:

I just don't get the Sanu deal. He has never done anything. I hope the structure of it makes it a lot better than it looks. 

yes, something seems odd about it  - like Sanu is engaged to AB's niece or something.    Nobody thinks Sanu is a bad player, just seems like you are really projecting him to some level of play that does not seem to the average person to be attainable based on past performance.

Just now, g-dawg said:

yes, something seems odd about it  - like Sanu is engaged to AB's niece or something.    Nobody thinks Sanu is a bad player, just seems like you are really projecting him to some level of play that does not seem to the average person to be attainable based on past performance.

We'll we're gonna have to wait and see how the season unfolds. Either he was under utilized like group"A" contends or he's overrated like group "B" contends.

7 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Was the deal pretty team friendly? So it really isn't quite as much money as it seems? 

12 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

yeah me too.....I even like Sanu but we are paying him like he is an elite #2 WR when he is more like a better-than average #3.  His play will need to rise significantly for him to be worth that contract.

First of all.. elite #2 is an oxymoron and you're half of that word for saying it like that.

I like the signing s ok but with that said we overpaid for Sanu, no way in hello he's worth that kind of money, Mack is going to be a great addition but one would have to think with him being 31 and declining we also overpaid and could've found a better bargain, then Shelby is unproven and NOT a very good pass rusher. Hopefully he proves us wrong.....

9 minutes ago, RYNE said:

Was the deal pretty team friendly? So it really isn't quite as much money as it seems? 

The deal is not that bad, but not great.  He's a cheap cap hit this year at $2.4 million, but then it jumps to about $7+ the next few.  Good news is that it wasn't a huge signing bonus, so they could get out of it after year 2 without it hurting too bad.

Also, a $6.5 mil/year deal now is equivalent to a $5 mil/year deal 3 years ago relative to the cap.