Falcons sign Alex Mack

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is huge. Way bigger than bringing in a really shiny new Hood Ornament WR to complement JJ. If Mack is back to full speed from his broken leg/ankle, his potential impact on our offense is inestimable. His addition could mean five or six minutes more time of possession per game. He could mean an extra 7 to 10 points per game from drives that no longer end with a breakdown in OL play on third and long and other critical situations. If Mack turns out to be the FO's one and only big splurge of the off season, at least they plugged one of the most glaring weak spots on the team. I just hope it's a good start.

12 hours ago, Knight of God said:

it's getting close. oh well, there is next year. go offense I guess

would you have honestly felt better if we blew double the money for Olivier  Vernon?

a lot of those guys are not worth what they got paid, I feel like we got a decent deal for Mack and a good contract structure. Hopefully we fill a few more holes tomorrow and get some solid defensive players in the draft 

Mack was a fantastic addition. I don't really think we needed to pick up arguably the best center in the NFL, but certainly worth the bank roll if he doesn't cost us several games like Person and Stone did last year. Biggest issue, is if he gets hurt there's a huge drop off in talent with Gradkowski.

Guess the same could be said about Ryan and Shaub too though...hopefully this team stays healthy this year then...if we do this team should be an easy playoff contenter with a good draft.

Edited by FenixFalcon

56 minutes ago, FenixFalcon said:

Mack was a fantastic addition. I don't really think we needed to pick up arguably the best center in the NFL, but certainly worth the bank roll if he doesn't cost us several games like Person and Stone did last year. Biggest issue, is if he gets hurt there's a huge drop off in talent with Gradkowski.

Guess the same could be said about Ryan and Shaub too though...hopefully this team stays healthy this year then...if we do this team should be an easy playoff contenter with a good draft.

oh yes Fenix...we have to look at it just like this.

4 hours ago, Knight of God said:

pass rush is still garbage

You're one of the guys on here who's posts I read. I share your frustration about our $hitty pass rush. Watching QBs stand in a clean pocket for a decade used to have me tearing my hair out on Sundays...now I just shake my head at it in disappointment.

Truth is we're (still) lacking significantly on both trenches. Protecting Matt is something that frustrated me as much as our lack of pass rush, if not more. Watching him get mauled to the point where Matt started making reflexive throws to protect himself used to disgust me...now I just shake my head at it in disappointment. 

I can't remember the last time I felt comfortable with the Falcons' needing to convert a crucial 3&2, or with them running it in a goaline package. And I'm NOT saying ALL of that will change now all of a sudden! Trust me, I share your frustrations. 

BUT I sh!t on the FO for it all the time. So I must acknowledge they finally made a huge move to attempt to fix things. Mack is a legit C and he'll go a long ways to improving our offense, both in the run and the pass. Keeping Matt upright must be a (bigger?) priority, so he can actually be healthy in the future. I gotta give credit where it's due. This is a big move, KOG. Cheers, mate.

15 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

This is huge. Way bigger than bringing in a really shiny new Hood Ornament WR to complement JJ. If Mack is back to full speed from his broken leg/ankle, his potential impact on our offense is inestimable. His addition could mean five or six minutes more time of possession per game. He could mean an extra 7 to 10 points per game from drives that no longer end with a breakdown in OL play on third and long and other critical situations. If Mack turns out to be the FO's one and only big splurge of the off season, at least they plugged one of the most glaring weak spots on the team. I just hope it's a good start.

I hear you Pokersteve. This offseason I have been saying if we spend a lot on any single position I want it to be center and I specifically mentioned Mack as my #1 target.

Mack is a game changer for this offense. One of the biggest problems Ryan had last year was no pocket to step up into to buy a little extra time. The interior pocket collapsing on passing downs caused all kinds of secondary problems including tipped passes, blocked passing lanes, and often forced Ryan to get rid of the ball before the play developed down field. It also really messed up Ryans mechanics as he no longer could simply step forward when heat was coming off edges, he had to start moving laterally with everything breaking down around him and his feet weren't setting as in previous years. Mack is going to help correct all those problems and is going to make both guards better just being between them. Ryan will know he most likely has a clean pocket to step into with Mack in front of him.

Missed assignments will go way down and blown snaps will disappear. Ryan wil, have much more confidence knowing he's got a real pocket. And in the complex blocking designs of our ZBS, Mack being right in the middle of the OL at snap is going to really help get everyone on their assignments which will really improve our running game. 

Our center position didn't just get better, Matt Ryan and the  OGs just got better too, just having Mack lining up next to them. 

I'm stoked about this and I know Matt Ryan couldn't be happier.

5 hours ago, Knight of God said:

pass rush is still garbage

What could they have done about that? Spent 10 mil a year on Irvin? 100 mil for Vernon? Williams apparently didn't talk to anybody besides Miami & NY.

What this move does allow them to do is spend their draft picks on D. They got the big signing in FA right, get a stud for the front 7 with pick 17, this team improves considerably just from those moves.

33 minutes ago, falconidae said:

What could they have done about that? Spent 10 mil a year on Irvin? 100 mil for Vernon? Williams apparently didn't talk to anybody besides Miami & NY.

What this move does allow them to do is spend their draft picks on D. They got the big signing in FA right, get a stud for the front 7 with pick 17, this team improves considerably just from those moves.

personally I'm not sure I want to sit through any more development in that area. My posts are even gradually devolving. Getting bored with this movie. 

also we are spending 10mil on a center...lol. I didn't like Vernon at all.

16 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

personally I'm not sure I want to sit through any more development in that area. My posts are even gradually devolving. Getting bored with this movie. 

also we are spending 10mil on a center...lol. I didn't like Vernon at all.

C was the number one position of need on the team.  I don't have a problem with them addressing it.

I hear you on the pass rush, but we did draft a pass rusher first last year (and one you and I both agree was the guy to get), we are bringing in some help, and it's not really a good year for talent versus value at pass rush in FA.  Basically everyone but Mario got overpaid.  I wanted Irvin, but we didn't get him.  I'd bet we hit that position again early in the draft, and I'd also bet they're counting on Beasley taking the next step (I think he will).

My point is I get your complaint, and I agree.  We wouldn't be talking about this if it weren't for the 7 years before last season.  But we are, and they're addressing it in FA and the draft.  I don't blame them for not blowing all our cap money on one of the overpaid guys, and I don't blame them for not wanting Mario due to his desire to get into a bidding war and his performance in Buffalo.  TD put us in this position, but part of being in this position is there isn't a lot we can do with what's available and how much that (mediocre) talent is being paid in FA.  It's not good business to overpay for any position, least of all one that can be addressed in the draft as easily as FA.

I am kind of upet that we had to eventually sign Alex Mack.  If you would of asked me after week 3 and week 4 of this past season,  I would of told you that Mike Person was one of the best Center's in the game today.  

Person was Harvey Dahl 08 like and was a monster in the middle.  Fast forward today, we are giving Alex Mack the highest contract of all centers.  

It's sad to be honest. 

I am still going to blame Roddy White for ******* up this whole offense with his tirade and rant after week 4.  Obviously Roddy White NEVER sat well with this coaching staff since the FACT is, he is already GONE.