Depends on each individual contract I believe. 

Someone with more knowledge can certainly give you a more accurate answer. 

I believe dead money is the guaranteed amount divided out over the years of the contract. 

So say you sign a 5 year deal and get cut in year 3. The dead money would stick around the final 2 years. 20 mill over 4 years. 5 mill a year. For this scenario you'd have 5 mill the final 2 years. 

I could be 100% wrong though lol

Baker was released 6/15 of last year so his dead money ends this year.  Asamoah, White and Moore are all absorbed this season so no carryover dead money for them.

Pre-May 12 cuts it's all absorbed in the current year (unless designated as a 5/12 move).

Post May 12 the current year's guaranteed money hit is absorbed that year and the remaining guaranteed money becomes dead money against the following year's cap.

17 minutes ago, .WORzone said:

Depends on each individual contract I believe. 

Someone with more knowledge can certainly give you a more accurate answer. 

I believe dead money is the guaranteed amount divided out over the years of the contract. 

So say you sign a 5 year deal and get cut in year 3. The dead money would stick around the final 2 years 

When you cut a player with pro-rated money (signing bonuses usually) left on the cap, it accelerates to the current year. (unless he is one of your two designated June 1st cuts as detailed by cap, below) So, lets look at Roddy.

(NUMBERS ARE APPROXIMATE)

Salary - $2.75m
Pro-rated Bonus - $1.87m
Roster Bonus - $1.5m

Salary - $3m
Pro-rated Bonus - $1.87m
Roster Bonus - $1.5m

By cutting Roddy in 2016 before his roster bonus is due, here's what happens.
Total Cap hit - $6.1
Subtract salary - $6.1m - $2.75m = $3.35m
Subtract roster bonus - $1.5m = $1.87m 

So you're left with a cap hit of $1.87m for 2016. BUT! Because the pro-rated signing bonus is money that has already been paid out to the player but spread out over multiple seasons, you have to eat the cap hit for any remainder of the bonus. So....the 2017 portion of the signing bonus ($1.87m) accelerates to this year's cap. Which leaves Roddy as a "dead money" charge of:

$1.87m (2016) + $1.87m (2017) = $3.7m 

2 minutes ago, capologist said:

Baker was released 6/15 of last year so his dead money ends this year.  Asamoah, White and Moore are all absorbed this season so no carryover dead money for them.

Pre-May 12 cuts it's all absorbed in the current year (unless designated as a 5/12 move).

Post May 12 the current year's guaranteed money hit is absorbed that year and the remaining guaranteed money becomes dead money against the following year's cap.

Thank you Cap.

3 minutes ago, capologist said:

So it's a one year thing? Well that's better than I thought. 

Mehta happens for a player that,say, is signed through 2018?