What type of message did we send?

Nino11

1 hour ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

Dude, you're so out of touch with this situation that nobody can help you.  

Is it too difficult for you to know that a player can give his all to his team and believe that his team mates and coaches are in it together and that they still care about each other even all the while knowing that one day the team has to do what's best?

Or do you expect us to believe your bulchit false narrative where somebody has got to be the POOR LITTLE VICTIM??????

LOL...Have a fkg clue.  You'd make a great, dishonest politician.

Get a grip bro, I don't buy any of what you're trying to sell...:)

Fact of the matter players are expected to honor their contracts and take less money for the good of the team but teams rarely do the same. Don't care to engage you on whatever else your talking about. Not here for victim support or a pitty party just pointing out the ******** double standards guys in the league face. Everyone isn't paid millions of dollars by the way. And would you take a million to deal with the degenerative condition the majority of those guys take? Doubt it, and I doubt you are so tough that you would tell them to suck it up to their face keyboard warrior. Internet tough guys kill me 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

OP what are you suggesting we holdon to Roddy tillhe's 40 and keep donating to his retirement fund lol wake up mate like many have mentioned this isn't an isolated case and this is a business.

Endofthe day Roddy had nothing else to give he was know longer a vertical threat and made a living off comebacks and crosses.you can't pay 6mill a season for a guy who just doesn't produce like he once did.

What I'm suggesting is the 2 million we saved really worth cutting a guy that has shown he can still produce? One bad season out weighs 10 or so good ones? If we replace him with somebody that is obviously better then so be it but I just don't see that happening with 2 million unless we hit on a draft pick 

5 hours ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Roddy is a man with a family and a heart. And he's a man that was paid very very well by this organization. 

I appreciate culture as much as the next guy but lets not act like this is the organization doing Roddy wrong. This was a completely foreseeable act and one that good teams have the courage to make. 

Agree on all points. Roddy loves this team, and everybody in the organization loves him back. But, sentimentality will get you nowhere in the NFL. Roddy was a great player for the Falcons and well-respected in the locker room.

He very well might have at least a couple of good years left, but his time with the Falcons had reached its natural conclusion. It is the same way for every team and, eventually, for every player in the league.

14 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

Agree on all points. Roddy loves this team, and everybody in the organization loves him back. But, sentimentality will get you nowhere in the NFL. Roddy was a great player for the Falcons and well-respected in the locker room.

He very well might have at least a couple of good years left, but his time with the Falcons had reached its natural conclusion. It is the same way for every team and, eventually, for every player in the league.

So you think Roddy is done? 

4 minutes ago, Nino11 said:

So you think Roddy is done? 

Not necessarily. I just said this in the post you quoted.... "He very well might have at least a couple of good years left...."

It will depend on what team he would go to, his role, the QB of that team, Roddy's health situation, how quickly he learns a new system, etc., etc., etc.

3 hours ago, Nino11 said:

What I'm suggesting is the 2 million we saved really worth cutting a guy that has shown he can still produce? One bad season out weighs 10 or so good ones? If we replace him with somebody that is obviously better then so be it but I just don't see that happening with 2 million unless we hit on a draft pick 

YES.

It allows us to cut ties and carry 0 dead $$$$$ into next year.

So yes it's worth it when looking at the big picture.

11 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

Not necessarily. I just said this in the post you quoted.... "He very well might have at least a couple of good years left...."

It will depend on what team he would go to, his role, the QB of that team, Roddy's health situation, how quickly he learns a new system, etc., etc., etc.

Which brings me to my point. Sure we all know he has lost a step. Sure he wasn't as great as he once was. But I seem to recall a franchise that was the embarrassment of the league at one point and he was the only guy worth watching on the team. He suffered through 3 of the worst QBs in the league and still put up over 1000 in a nightmare season. He went through the toughest times with us and was Mr. Falcon for years when he could of went to greener pastures, more oppurtunity to raise his star but he was loyal through and through. I think we owed him at least this year to see if he bounced back 

20 hours ago, Nino11 said:

I will come out and admit I don't like the Roddy move. Didn't like the Abe move either. I get all the quasi-general mangers are peddling the Falcons did "what's best for the team" and it's a "hard business." This isn't madden. You aren't just cutting some video game player and swapping him out for a guy that runs faster. This is a real dude with a real family that put in real work when he was one of the only enjoyable things about the team. What kind of message are we sending to potential free agents and draft picks? You think they will be lined up to give home town discounts or show loyalty to a Franchise that will not honor their contract to you after a down year? I remember Roddy getting trashed for holding out and called selfish but when the shoe is on the other foot it's just the business. I don't think this reflects well on the Falcons. Guys have friends in the league, guys talk. If we don't see the playoffs this is gonna turn real ugly

You do realize that the players have a union that negotiated into this, right? It's a wonder the Player's Union never speaks out when players get cut before their contracts are done...probably because it's part of the structure that they agreed to. Get the **** over it.

4 minutes ago, Duff_Man said:

You do realize that the players have a union that negotiated into this, right? It's a wonder the Player's Union never speaks out when players get cut before their contracts are done...probably because it's part of the structure that they agreed to. Get the **** over it.

Union aren't the end all be all. They give and take. If the players were smart they would start their own league. But you seem a bit agitated over a discussion on a message board. Think you got some stuff you need to get over in real life 

22 minutes ago, Nino11 said:

Union aren't the end all be all. They give and take. If the players were smart they would start their own league. But you seem a bit agitated over a discussion on a message board. Think you got some stuff you need to get over in real life 

In this case, yes they are. The players vote for their reps and agree to the terms set up. They know that most contracts will never be honored. That's what they agreed to. People need to stop acting like it is some horrible thing. It's not that big of a deal. 

If this was Kroy Biermann, not one person would be worried about "family" and "loyalty". But since people bought Roddy jerseys, they are all up in arms over it. If you choose to watch professional sports, you need to accept the fact that players will come and go and that being emotionally tied to them is an exercise in futility.

Notice in the Calvin Johnson thread that nobody is screaming "LOYALTY IS DEAD" and crying about what message it sends to other teams that he is demanding his release...

15 hours ago, Nino11 said:

He has only been in the league for 11 seasons, so, no...he has not had 10 good ones. He had 6 very good ones, 3 bad ones and 2 OK ones. And two OK ones and one bad one were the past three years. 

20 hours ago, Nino11 said:

Fact of the matter players are expected to honor their contracts and take less money for the good of the team but teams rarely do the same. Don't care to engage you on whatever else your talking about. Not here for victim support or a pitty party just pointing out the ******** double standards guys in the league face. Everyone isn't paid millions of dollars by the way. And would you take a million to deal with the degenerative condition the majority of those guys take? Doubt it, and I doubt you are so tough that you would tell them to suck it up to their face keyboard warrior. Internet tough guys kill me 

Nino, get a grip dude.  When I begin to feel sorry for a guy who is living the nfl dream and killing it, then I imagine it'll be snowing in ****.  Geesh.  Glad you're in touch with your feminine side...  Pfft.

On 3/3/2016 at 10:33 AM, Nino11 said:

I will come out and admit I don't like the Roddy move. Didn't like the Abe move either. I get all the quasi-general mangers are peddling the Falcons did "what's best for the team" and it's a "hard business." This isn't madden. You aren't just cutting some video game player and swapping him out for a guy that runs faster. This is a real dude with a real family that put in real work when he was one of the only enjoyable things about the team. What kind of message are we sending to potential free agents and draft picks? You think they will be lined up to give home town discounts or show loyalty to a Franchise that will not honor their contract to you after a down year? I remember Roddy getting trashed for holding out and called selfish but when the shoe is on the other foot it's just the business. I don't think this reflects well on the Falcons. Guys have friends in the league, guys talk. If we don't see the playoffs this is gonna turn real ugly

The Falcons are no different any other professional sports franchise. Bill Walsh made it a point to call a player into his office before the season started and tell said player that this would be his last year with the team and that he would be cut after the season. He believed in getting rid of a player 1 year too soon rather than 1 year too late. Seemed to work out pretty well for Walsh as the 49ers won 5 Super Bowls with that policy in place and had no trouble attracting top notch free agents.