Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trick Montalban

We learned a lot about Quinn today

76 posts in this topic

We did learn a lot about Quinn. He's a gutless knucklehead who doesn't understand intangible value. 

I'm generally optimistic, and usually understand coaching moves, but this was a classless b1tch move.

HouseofEuphoria likes this

30 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

Again...how long has the season been over?  You mean to tell me they JUST came to this realization?  Both Roddy and Quinn aaid that they hadnt talked since the end of the season.

Quinn said they were finishing up evaluations and it was after the combine (Monday) when they came to their decision to cut him 

I'm surprised that I'm surprised that Roddy is gone. You knew he was gone any time Blank or Quinn were questioned about it, but still doubted it in the dark recesses. I'm ok either way, but kinda sad. Not as butthurt as when we cut Hawley...but kinda sad.

29 minutes ago, Dirtybird56 said:

Quinn said they were finishing up evaluations and it was after the combine (Monday) when they came to their decision to cut him 

Excuses.  Roddy deserved to be a priority in the evaluations.  I find it odd that they sure found a way to contact paul soliai, but not roddy.

Ohhhhh the, "I had no other choice but to break up with you on Valentine's day" excuse.

I swear next we are going to find out they did it while his mom was in the hospital. 

10 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

Excuses.  Roddy deserved to be a priority in the evaluations.  I find it odd that they sure found a way to contact paul soliai, but not roddy.

Ok? I like Roddy. Roddy is no longer a part of the Falcons, but I'll continue to cheer for the Falcons, because I'm a Falcon fan. You will too, because you're emotionally invested like the rest of us.

Could this had been handled better? Probably. But it's a business and however it needed to happen, it did.

1 hour ago, mashburn*Fibonacci said:

Ohhhhh the, "I had no other choice but to break up with you on Valentine's day" excuse.

I swear next we are going to find out they did it while his mom was in the hospital. 

General Hospital

mashburn*Fibonacci likes this

5 hours ago, TheRisen999 said:

Can't say I didn't think Roddy could still contribute if used correctly but if they're going all in on improving this team then lets go all the way. Trade Reed and get rid of Worrilo,  Bierman, Levitre, Jackson, Weems and Hester too.  We can find better options than all of them and not go over the cap. If we're cutting dead weight.. lets cut ALL the dead weight. 

I imagine they'll cut who they want to cut when they want to cut them.  Several have gone before Roddy and several will go after more than likely.

Sounds like ur butt hurt over roddy but I think you are right about more dead weight being trimmed bro.

8 hours ago, MilleniumFalcon said:

At this point Hardy is a better receiver. Offense will be better by having a bigger threat in place of Roddy's old spot and also utilize 2.5 million in savings to improve the team.

1. He certainly hasnt proven it

2. If* we have a bigger threat in his spot

3. 2.5 Mill is nothing.

9 hours ago, Nino11 said:

What receiver can we get for the 2 million we saved that will do more then Roddy? 

likely we will spend more on a WR to do more than Roddy and that was probably the plan all along, but the freed up cap pretty much covers the RFA tender for Ryan Schraeder or Worrilow

9 hours ago, high impact said:

You can say what you want but this will be another deal that will lead to a downgrade of this team. I also bet this staff has no plan in place to replace what Roddy could give the team this season. I have seen this play out time and time again with the Falcons. A new staff comes in and they release good proven players. Without anything close to replace the player they let go. Then we as fans see another year go by and the team still looks like it always has, ok to poor. I feel for you people on here that say Roddy did not do anything for this team last year. If you go back and watch Kyle S had that in his seasons plan to make Roddy expendable by saying we did fine without going to Roddy all year. I could see this coming a mile away. How many of you forgot the DQ just kicked our starting center to the curb last year with no good plan in place moving forward. Do I need to say that turned out good did it not. 

Exactly. They kept Roddy's targets down, which kept his stats down, which made it more acceptable for some. This way, the whole fan base isn't crashing. Its taken a hit blank cant afford right now. They better have a monster first day of FA and make a huge splash over all. Get the fans faith back. This move has dumb written all over it. Quinn can keep saying he cut Roddy, he did, but because of his boy shanny.  Roddy will be productive if he gets chances.

9 hours ago, high impact said:

You can say what you want but this will be another deal that will lead to a downgrade of this team. I also bet this staff has no plan in place to replace what Roddy could give the team this season. I have seen this play out time and time again with the Falcons. A new staff comes in and they release good proven players. Without anything close to replace the player they let go. Then we as fans see another year go by and the team still looks like it always has, ok to poor. I feel for you people on here that say Roddy did not do anything for this team last year. If you go back and watch Kyle S had that in his seasons plan to make Roddy expendable by saying we did fine without going to Roddy all year. I could see this coming a mile away. How many of you forgot the DQ just kicked our starting center to the curb last year with no good plan in place moving forward. Do I need to say that turned out good did it not. 

Agreed^^^^^ Letting Roddy go was a mistake he should have had a year to show Shanny that he made a mistake last year.... I hope he does just that where ever he lands...  but they might have there 1st pick in the draft set in on Treadwell with this cut.....

What we learned about Quinn is he will sit there and lie to our face.  To say White was not underutilized last year is a joke.  I am a big 84 fan and understand the economics of the move but did you make any attempt to have him take less money?  No because you are completely  bought into Shanahan and that will be your downfall.  We will be lucky to go 8-8 again this year but we will hear about speed, and playing hard and blah blah blah.  I have to believe with the decisions the past couple of years to keep Dimitroff and hire Shanahan that Blank is accepting of mediocrity.  I like Quinn and think he could be a good head coach but to say he wants Dimitroff and Shanahan around him will be his downfall.  Oh well, another ****** year here we come but at least the tailgates are great.  

8 hours ago, Dem Birds said:

I learned that he is capable of cutting one of the greatest players in team history via text. 

Now that's a players coach right there /smh

5 minutes ago, TAILGATE HEAVEN said:

What we learned about Quinn is he will sit there and lie to our face.  To say White was not underutilized last year is a joke.  I am a big 84 fan and understand the economics of the move but did you make any attempt to have him take less money?  No because you are completely  bought into Shanahan and that will be your downfall.  We will be lucky to go 8-8 again this year but we will hear about speed, and playing hard and blah blah blah.  I have to believe with the decisions the past couple of years to keep Dimitroff and hire Shanahan that Blank is accepting of mediocrity.  I like Quinn and think he could be a good head coach but to say he wants Dimitroff and Shanahan around him will be his downfall.  Oh well, another ****** year here we come but at least the tailgates are great.  

Nolan was Smitty's downfall, Shanahan very well could be Quinn's downfall.  Quinn talked about this unit being the tightest group of guys he has ever been around, but Freeman said the complete opposite on the radio. He said he wanted to see in the huddle that guys had each other's back and that was missing from this team. He  ironically mentioned Roddy as one of those warriors who you knew played for his teammates.   This years offense looked disjointed, there was clearly problems between players and the coaches. Roddy has played for 4 offensive coordinators and you never heard that he was difficult to work with on the other hand Shanahan has been in the middle of controversy everywhere he has been. 

KRUNKuno and JD dirtybird21 like this

2 minutes ago, insight said:

Nolan was Smitty's downfall, Shanahan very well could be Quinn's downfall.  Quinn talked about this unit being the tightest group of guys he has ever been around, but Freeman said the complete opposite on the radio. He said he wanted to see in the huddle that guys had each other's back and that was missing from this team. He  ironically mentioned Roddy as one of those warriors who you knew played for his teammates.   This years offense looked disjointed, there was clearly problems between players and the coaches. Roddy has played for 4 offensive coordinators and you never heard that he was difficult to work with on the other hand Shanahan has been in the middle of controversy everywhere he has been. 

Great post insight

3 minutes ago, insight said:

You may very well be right.  If the offense struggles like it did last year, then the only conclusion one can infer is that the Shannahan experiment failed.  I truly HOPE that is not the case because it will mean we wasted 2 years of Ryan, Julio & Freeman's careers. 

16 hours ago, Trick Montalban said:

With the decision to cut Roddy White we have learned an important aspect of how Dan Quinn will operate as our head coach throughout his future tenure here. He won't hold sacred cows as our old HC did. He will do what is best for the team. I wasn't sure before today which path he would take: The path that does what the fans want (keeping Roddy) or do what is more beneficial for the team going forward (releasing Roddy). 

Personally I would not have minded either path. I love Roddy and love him on the team, but I also understand the needs of the team. I think he could have still done well here, but if he isn't what the coaches want moving forward then it may have been better to release him. 

Either way, whether you wanted Roddy to stay or not, we can at least say we know Quinn will make the tough decisions to try and make this team better. My confidence in him as our head coach has increased for making this decision. Let's hope for a fruitful draft and FA this offseason, go Falcons!

I call complete BULLSH*T on this. Clayborn. Tjax. sacred cows. Quinn is doing what everyother head coach does and dismantles the team. Say what you want about Mike Smith, but his players LOVED playing for him. LOVED. I feel bad for you with this thought process. Quinn hasnt made a SINGLE tough decision since he has been here. Firing Kyle last season would have been a tough decision. Not letting go of Roddy. Stop building Quinn up to be some mastermind when he has only won 8 games and it took him almost entire season to get to 8. its clear Quinn doesnt know Offense. He is the Sean Parker of Napster (in Social Network- its a movie) hoping that he has found his Mark Zuckerberg in Kyle. rant over. 

TAILGATE HEAVEN likes this

All in all, it was the right decision to make for the franchise. Not sure why Quinn is getting flak for the text thing, based on where Roddy was at the time this should be understandable. I'm sure Quinn would have liked to do it in person. Regardless I think Roddy knew it was coming. Roddy's time has passed, it's time to let new players make their mark.

6 hours ago, RubberDucky said:

1. He certainly hasnt proven it

2. If* we have a bigger threat in his spot

3. 2.5 Mill is nothing.

I agree how much did we roll over in Cap money last year?!? lol This is a classic lets make Kyle happy and Quinn and Troff don't want to look like the bad guys in their own coaching circle. This stinks. If there was a day that the offense turned its back on the coaching staff it was today. Somehow HESTER is on this team still. Roddy White making  a million or two more than you would like WASNT the problem last year. Quinn...what a *****. Blank has lost the team too. The Falcons took another step towards being just another team who churns and treats players badly ala the eagles... Don't piss off Kyle, Matt Ryan or your next too. Kyle will break whatever he needs too to try and fix his offense even when its already dead- he is already half way there with this team. I hope Blank knows the difference between fake smiles and hand shakes because he will be getting a lot of both for a long time. 

putnam6 likes this