Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trick Montalban

We learned a lot about Quinn today

76 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Trick Montalban said:

With the decision to cut Roddy White we have learned an important aspect of how Dan Quinn will operate as our head coach throughout his future tenure here. He won't hold sacred cows as our old HC did. He will do what is best for the team. I wasn't sure before today which path he would take: The path that does what the fans want (keeping Roddy) or do what is more beneficial for the team going forward (releasing Roddy). 

Personally I would not have minded either path. I love Roddy and love him on the team, but I also understand the needs of the team. I think he could have still done well here, but if he isn't what the coaches want moving forward then it may have been better to release him. 

Either way, whether you wanted Roddy to stay or not, we can at least say we know Quinn will make the tough decisions to try and make this team better. My confidence in him as our head coach has increased for making this decision. Let's hope for a fruitful draft and FA this offseason, go Falcons!

Please explain how this move improved the roster or gave us allot of flexibility. Newsflash it doesn't, we pulled the same dumb move releasing Joe Hawley last year without a competent center on the roster. 

I guess if Matt Ryan struggles this season the argument can be made he does not have enough weapons. 

11 minutes ago, Conquistador Zebra said:

same here 

not like TD will do anything smart with the extra cap... we'll probably throw a bloated contract at some over the hill defender like Mario Williams and then sign a bunch of wal-mart players

Over the hill.... Lol 

But Roddy is still in his prime amirite? 

Cutting roddy opens up a roster spot for a younger, faster guy because we severely lack speed outside Julio. 

Hopefully Hester is the next one out. 

Dirtybird56 likes this

To be fair, Smitty cut a lot of previous regime's sacred cows when he arrived. I think it is just the reality of a new coach wanting to build a team around his philosophy and game plan.  Many team vets just don't fit the new mold or do not adapt well to schemes, position on the team etc.  I appreciate what DQ is bringing to this team but in my opinion there will be even more changes.

Trick Montalban likes this

I understand the business end of it. 

I just have a sinking feeling thinking this guy also made the decision to cut hawley and decide person was starting C qualified. What other bone headed "business decisions" are we gonna see from this dude. 

I mean he was quoted that he always had a hard time defending kyles offenses too, but what has kyle actually won in this league. Another "brilliant" decision by quinn...

Really was a no brainer move. It was painful to watch Roddy last year. Dude had lost more than just a step. I wonder if we even offered to keep him at a pay cut. 

Sounds like Dan informed him he was being cut by sending him a text message. I hope that's not true, that's impersonal as f***. I lost a ton of respect to Quinn today, not only by cutting Roddy, but doing it via a text. Keeping him would've done nothing but good as Hardy needs leadership. Cutting him gave us some money but I'm just as sure we will piss it away on some reciever everyone will hate 5 games into the season like Hankerson. Sounds like we're looking at Julio and Freeman as WR 1/2. Maybe I'm being emotional about it right now, but people can be cold as ****. Dude looked great when they actually threw him the ball towards the end of the season.

13 minutes ago, FenixFalcon said:

Sounds like Dan informed him he was being cut by sending him a text message. I hope that's not true, that's impersonal as f***. I lost a ton of respect to Quinn today, not only by cutting Roddy, but doing it via a text. Keeping him would've done nothing but good as Hardy needs leadership. Cutting him gave us some money but I'm just as sure we will piss it away on some reciever everyone will hate 5 games into the season like Hankerson. Sounds like we're looking at Julio and Freeman as WR 1/2. Maybe I'm being emotional about it right now, but people can be cold as ****. Dude looked great when they actually threw him the ball towards the end of the season.

Julio can lead hardy, same way roddy led him. 

1 hour ago, Grrrillapmpn Inc.® said:

How exactly does cutting Roddy make us better? I missed that part. 

If you don't understand now, it's no point explaining.

Dirtybird56 likes this

1 hour ago, high impact said:

You can say what you want but this will be another deal that will lead to a downgrade of this team. I also bet this staff has no plan in place to replace what Roddy could give the team this season. I have seen this play out time and time again with the Falcons. A new staff comes in and they release good proven players. Without anything close to replace the player they let go. Then we as fans see another year go by and the team still looks like it always has, ok to poor. I feel for you people on here that say Roddy did not do anything for this team last year. If you go back and watch Kyle S had that in his seasons plan to make Roddy expendable by saying we did fine without going to Roddy all year. I could see this coming a mile away. How many of you forgot the DQ just kicked our starting center to the curb last year with no good plan in place moving forward. Do I need to say that turned out good did it not. 

You gotta let go man.

While this probably had to be done, doing it on a text is pretty pussified if you ask me just a step above, resigning and leaving copies in the locker room. Love the Birds ,ain't the end of the world but this was pretty much a ***** move by Quinn. Go sign Mario ,Mack and Trevathan make a big splash 

This is the GM, not just Quinn.  If he's considered to have balls for this move, he should have had bigger balls and fired his OC and GM.  Sacred Cow?  He S****** on Roddy last season with the ignore button.  I really wish Roddy the best.  Roddy's production went down, but the only receiver that was worthy of a roster spot is Julio Jones.  Ryan was safe, regardless of his lack of production and expensive contract.  I really hope that he knows what he is doing, because last season.  Other than the defense, he look completely lost.

He cut the guy through a text message.

Equivalent to breaking up with your girlfriend over the phone.

Roddy was never contacted about his status or a restructure, but Paul Soliai was.  

Quinn showed his belly is as yellow as the yellow crayon in a freshly opened box.

2 hours ago, halifaxfalcon said:

we can use that 2 million TOWARDS paying for a new a shiny receiver who will fit more suitably into our scheme. No point keeping players past their peak with large cap hits. I expect hester to be released next. The money saved from releasing both pays for a good no2 reciever

yep - i'm surprised Hester hasn't already been released.

1 hour ago, Xfactor said:

Next time Quinn be man enough to pick up the **** phone what a ****** way to release Roddy White.

He did. He called Roddy who was out of the country at the time.  

citsalp likes this

4 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

He cut the guy through a text message.

Equivalent to breaking up with your girlfriend over the phone.

Roddy was never contacted about his status or a restructure, but Paul Soliai was.  

Quinn showed his belly is as yellow as the yellow crayon in a freshly opened box.

Ya'll need to do some more research. Durham and Zino said about 20 minutes ago that Quinn first called Roddy who was out of the country.  

I hate to see h go but it is what it is.

1 minute ago, Godzilla1985 said:

He did. He called Roddy who was out of the country at the time.  

How long has the season been over?

15 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

How long has the season been over?

KRUNKUNO man I feel your pain bud. I'm just saying let not label Quinn a coward just because of a rumor he sent a text to Roddy that he cut h9m.

2 hours ago, Xfactor said:

Next time Quinn be man enough to pick up the **** phone what a ****** way to release Roddy White.

Are you sure Quinn knows how to use a phone?  Some far he moves do not prove him to be a smart man.

2 hours ago, Clark Kent™ said:

Really was a no brainer move. It was painful to watch Roddy last year. Dude had lost more than just a step. I wonder if we even offered to keep him at a pay cut. 

Nope we didn't, staff knows he's done.

2 hours ago, Xfactor said:

2 hours ago, FenixFalcon said:

1 hour ago, putnam6 said:

While this probably had to be done, doing it on a text is pretty pussified if you ask me just a step above, resigning and leaving copies in the locker room. Love the Birds ,ain't the end of the world but this was pretty much a ***** move by Quinn. Go sign Mario ,Mack and Trevathan make a big splash 

I have more info on WHY the news was delivered to Roddy via text. All I can and will say about it is that team didn't have another option.

9 minutes ago, Dirtybird56 said:

Nope we didn't, staff knows he's done.

I have more info on WHY the news was delivered to Roddy via text. All I can and will say about it is that team didn't have another option.

Again...how long has the season been over?  You mean to tell me they JUST came to this realization?  Both Roddy and Quinn aaid that they hadnt talked since the end of the season.

mashburn*Fibonacci and Xfactor like this

2 hours ago, caver50 said:

If you don't understand now, it's no point explaining.

Don't hide from the question with sarcasm. If you don't have a valid reason, save you keystrokes and keep it moving.