Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trick Montalban

We learned a lot about Quinn today

76 posts in this topic

With the decision to cut Roddy White we have learned an important aspect of how Dan Quinn will operate as our head coach throughout his future tenure here. He won't hold sacred cows as our old HC did. He will do what is best for the team. I wasn't sure before today which path he would take: The path that does what the fans want (keeping Roddy) or do what is more beneficial for the team going forward (releasing Roddy). 

Personally I would not have minded either path. I love Roddy and love him on the team, but I also understand the needs of the team. I think he could have still done well here, but if he isn't what the coaches want moving forward then it may have been better to release him. 

Either way, whether you wanted Roddy to stay or not, we can at least say we know Quinn will make the tough decisions to try and make this team better. My confidence in him as our head coach has increased for making this decision. Let's hope for a fruitful draft and FA this offseason, go Falcons!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exactly while I'm sad to see roddy go I'm  so happy our coach doesn't just hold people based on what they did yesterday. I'm sure it was tough but it may be a blessing in the future 

ltstorm2 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the only reason I am not raving mad.  I respect people who know what they want and have the balls to follow through.  I think this was a mistake and we will regret not holding onto Roddy but I defer to those who hold the responsibility for making this a great team.

Tips hat to DQ/KS/TD for having the balls to rub the cat the wrong way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I respect what Quinn did. It's not like he's been here for years and had that attachment to Roddy, so he didn't let fear of what the fans would say affect his decision 

Statick likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Monolith2001 said:

This is the only reason I am not raving mad.  I respect people who know what they want and have the balls to follow through.  I think this was a mistake and we will regret not holding onto Roddy but I defer to those who hold the responsibility for making this a great team.

Tips hat to DQ/KS/TD for having the balls to rub the cat the wrong way.

We will not regret waiving Roddy - he has very little left in the tank - if he goes somewhere else, he is not going to start and he is gonna make about 1/2 of what the Falcons would have paid him this year ($4.25mm).

If Peyton Manning does not retire in 3 more days, John Elway is going to cut him.    Everyone's time comes when it is time to hang'em up or realize you are a bit player versus in your prime.

It is time for Roddy now - he can retire or slowly fade away.    I don't begrudge him either way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

We will not regret waiving Roddy - he has very little left in the tank - if he goes somewhere else, he is not going to start and he is gonna make about 1/2 of what the Falcons would have paid him this year ($4.25mm).

If Peyton Manning does not retire in 3 more days, John Elway is going to cut him.    Everyone's time comes when it is time to hang'em up or realize you are a bit player versus in your prime.

It is time for Roddy now - he can retire or slowly fade away.    I don't begrudge him either way.

I'm foolishly arguing with Swift on Twitter right now about this subject. Whether or not it's Shanny's fault, Roddy wasn't going to get the ball thrown his way this year so why pay him the money. I think it's actually 6 mil against the cap if he stays. 

His "leadership" is a poor excuse to keep him at a high salary for his lack of production. Julio can show the young guys the ropes and the coaches are there to coach.

This is more of a Patriots move than a Browns move. When there is obvious decline in a vet and his cost exceeds his benefit, you cut loose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Nino11 said:

What receiver can we get for the 2 million we saved that will do more then Roddy? 

we can use that 2 million TOWARDS paying for a new a shiny receiver who will fit more suitably into our scheme. No point keeping players past their peak with large cap hits. I expect hester to be released next. The money saved from releasing both pays for a good no2 reciever

UnrealfalcoN likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sad but I understand the business aspect of it. Roddy it's going to use this as motivation and have a decent season for someone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't say I didn't think Roddy could still contribute if used correctly but if they're going all in on improving this team then lets go all the way. Trade Reed and get rid of Worrilo,  Bierman, Levitre, Jackson, Weems and Hester too.  We can find better options than all of them and not go over the cap. If we're cutting dead weight.. lets cut ALL the dead weight. 

papachaz and PokerSteve like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can say what you want but this will be another deal that will lead to a downgrade of this team. I also bet this staff has no plan in place to replace what Roddy could give the team this season. I have seen this play out time and time again with the Falcons. A new staff comes in and they release good proven players. Without anything close to replace the player they let go. Then we as fans see another year go by and the team still looks like it always has, ok to poor. I feel for you people on here that say Roddy did not do anything for this team last year. If you go back and watch Kyle S had that in his seasons plan to make Roddy expendable by saying we did fine without going to Roddy all year. I could see this coming a mile away. How many of you forgot the DQ just kicked our starting center to the curb last year with no good plan in place moving forward. Do I need to say that turned out good did it not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His move alone signified that Quinn will succeed or fail "his way". This event give me more hope than anything since 2012...it shows me that Quinn is not a puppet answering to the 50 or so GM's or Ex-GM's in the building.

Finally something for me to be optimistic about!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Grrrillapmpn Inc.® said:

How exactly does cutting Roddy make us better? I missed that part. 

 

Our locker room will improve because we wont have a crybaby that talks to media. We can give another wideout a shot that has more than 2 routes that they can run effectively and keep the secondary honest and off Julio.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Roddy can be replaced by a WR who doesn't fall down when he catches the ball.

21 minutes ago, Grrrillapmpn Inc.® said:

How exactly does cutting Roddy make us better? I missed that part. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Grrrillapmpn Inc.® said:

How exactly does cutting Roddy make us better? I missed that part. 

 

At this point Hardy is a better receiver. Offense will be better by having a bigger threat in place of Roddy's old spot and also utilize 2.5 million in savings to improve the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, high impact said:

You can say what you want but this will be another deal that will lead to a downgrade of this team. I also bet this staff has no plan in place to replace what Roddy could give the team this season. I have seen this play out time and time again with the Falcons. A new staff comes in and they release good proven players. Without anything close to replace the player they let go. Then we as fans see another year go by and the team still looks like it always has, ok to poor. I feel for you people on here that say Roddy did not do anything for this team last year. If you go back and watch Kyle S had that in his seasons plan to make Roddy expendable by saying we did fine without going to Roddy all year. I could see this coming a mile away. How many of you forgot the DQ just kicked our starting center to the curb last year with no good plan in place moving forward. Do I need to say that turned out good did it not. 

We will be fine without Roddy. Roddy not getting the ball had every thing to do with Roddy and not Shannahan. Just stop it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, high impact said:

You can say what you want but this will be another deal that will lead to a downgrade of this team. I also bet this staff has no plan in place to replace what Roddy could give the team this season. I have seen this play out time and time again with the Falcons. A new staff comes in and they release good proven players. Without anything close to replace the player they let go. Then we as fans see another year go by and the team still looks like it always has, ok to poor. I feel for you people on here that say Roddy did not do anything for this team last year. If you go back and watch Kyle S had that in his seasons plan to make Roddy expendable by saying we did fine without going to Roddy all year. I could see this coming a mile away. How many of you forgot the DQ just kicked our starting center to the curb last year with no good plan in place moving forward. Do I need to say that turned out good did it not. 

No it wont

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm disappointed because Roddy was one of our GOATs, but if we use the money wisely, I will accept it. If Alex Mack is the consolation, I can deal. If we band-aid our issues with mid-tier hit or misses, we'll look back at this as a bad day, especially if he goes to Nola, Carolina or Tampa. 

falconsd56, papachaz and hjerry like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Grrrillapmpn Inc.® said:

How exactly does cutting Roddy make us better? I missed that part. 

 

 same here 

 

not like TD will do anything smart with the extra cap... we'll probably throw a bloated contract at some over the hill defender like Mario Williams and then sign a bunch of wal-mart players

putnam6, ssj5gal, Shelley#37 and 1 other like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Trick Montalban said:

With the decision to cut Roddy White we have learned an important aspect of how Dan Quinn will operate as our head coach throughout his future tenure here. He won't hold sacred cows as our old HC did. He will do what is best for the team. I wasn't sure before today which path he would take: The path that does what the fans want (keeping Roddy) or do what is more beneficial for the team going forward (releasing Roddy). 

Personally I would not have minded either path. I love Roddy and love him on the team, but I also understand the needs of the team. I think he could have still done well here, but if he isn't what the coaches want moving forward then it may have been better to release him. 

Either way, whether you wanted Roddy to stay or not, we can at least say we know Quinn will make the tough decisions to try and make this team better. My confidence in him as our head coach has increased for making this decision. Let's hope for a fruitful draft and FA this offseason, go Falcons!

LMAO at Smitty holding on to sacred cows. He either cut, traded or let Abe, Turner, Grimes, Dunn, Crump, Brooking, Mud Duck, Clabo, Dahl, Ovie, Grady and Snelling walk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Trick Montalban said:

With the decision to cut Roddy White we have learned an important aspect of how Dan Quinn will operate as our head coach throughout his future tenure here. He won't hold sacred cows as our old HC did. He will do what is best for the team. I wasn't sure before today which path he would take: The path that does what the fans want (keeping Roddy) or do what is more beneficial for the team going forward (releasing Roddy). 

Personally I would not have minded either path. I love Roddy and love him on the team, but I also understand the needs of the team. I think he could have still done well here, but if he isn't what the coaches want moving forward then it may have been better to release him. 

Either way, whether you wanted Roddy to stay or not, we can at least say we know Quinn will make the tough decisions to try and make this team better. My confidence in him as our head coach has increased for making this decision. Let's hope for a fruitful draft and FA this offseason, go Falcons!

Well said bro, 

Trick Montalban likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites