• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, insight said:

I disagree that it was the right move. We don't have much talent at wide receiver, Hankerson did not work out, Williams is nothing special and Hardy is decent. I don't see us building a winning roster, we are saving money which I could care less about.  

I get what you're saying,  and I was as big a fan of White as anybody,  but speaking realistically here, you can easily replace the production that Roddy provided at this point. Especially when considering the money,  the move makes sense on and off the field.  I agree about the lack of talent at receiver down the list,  but it's not like Roddy actually helped that problem last year.  

5 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

we are not making a mistake.   You people are in denial.

When you consider the level of WR in FA, it is. I don't think Sanu or Benjamin for instance are a level above Roddy. Roddy can still be a decent contributor to this offense. 

It just seems like a money-saving move to me, rather than just a pure football move. 

Edited by BritFalcon
2 minutes ago, MoFalconsFan56 said:

Would've been nice if he could've made some other receiver TAKE the job from him but he wasn't given that opportunity and that's ****** up 

EXACTLY. 

Let him go out competing for a spot, then you KNOW your teaming is getting better. This is the same way the KONZ was gifted his job and Biermann replaced ABE. You build a strong team with COMPETITION. 

This feels like putting down an old, beloved family dog. You logically know that it's the right move because the dog is in pain, and you are constantly feeling sad about it, but it still doesn't feel good to see em go. 

I sure will miss Roddy. We were lucky to have such a tough SOB on our team for so long. With Roddy and Robiskie both gone, this offense is probably gonna look pretty different this season. 

I'm wondering if we're going to start putting more into our TEs because of how Shanny likes to play the two TE sets. It makes sense in my head because we have our number one WR in Julio, and we know he's going to get the overwhelming majority of catches from that unit. Tamme is totally solid, we just drafted a nice slot receiver in Hardy, so maybe all we need next is to draft a solid TE maybe somewhere around 3rd or 4th round. 

As sad as it is to see Roddy gone, it seems like a lot of changes are coming the Falcons way. I'm excited about this offseason.

1 minute ago, BritFalcon said:

When you consider the level of WR in FA, it is. I don't think Sanu or Benjamin for instance are a level above Roddy. Roddy can still be a decent contributor to this offense. 

It just seems like a money-saving move to me. 

how is it a money saving move? we saved a paltry $2.3mm against the cap.   We were going to pay Roddy $4.25mm for no production.

I'm not happy as a Roddy fan, but I'm happy as a Falcon fan. And I've learned over the years to put the team fandom ahead of the player fandom for this exact reason. Roddy is in my 5 all time Falcons but it saves 2.4 mil and his production slipped. While I believe Shannahan helped that production slip, Father Time is undefeated. Roddy is 34 and the team needs to go younger and faster. 

1 minute ago, Duff_Man said:

I think it will be weird not seeing Roddy out there, but in modern sports you just can't get attached to players because they can be gone any minute to any number of things. Thanks for the effort, Roddy. Time for the team to move on.

It is an unfortunate by-product of working in a league that uses a salary cap. In other sports, teams try to keep players that have been at the club for their entire career, even if their role has to be greatly reduced.

Roddy can still make an impact for the Falcons, his salary was clearly the issue here.

Loved Roddy and wish him the best. Another indicator of  management showing they are  serious about turning things around in a hurry. Yesterday, I caught just a few seconds of talk  on 680 about relaxing the Falcon filter in a big way. Sorry. I didn't hear all of the conversation or read it anywhere but if this is true that's another indicator of out with the old and in with the new wholesale changes and I for one am glad to see management is looking at everything and everybody to turn things around with this franchise. 

20 minutes ago, Atlfanstckndenver said:

I gotta say,  I didn't think the front office had the balls to do it,  but i totally understand.  From a business standpoint,  I thought there was validation for keeping him.  Football wise though. ......I get it.

My first thought too, like "dang, they actually did it."

Right now, my feelings about the situation are a bit muddled, because as you said, I understand the business part of it, but Roddy has made such an indelible imprint on this franchise that I'm still finding it hard to stomach the decision.

Sigh. It is what it is.