Jump to content

If we can only get one? Irvin, Trevathan or Williams


B. Irvin, D. Trevathan or M. Williams  

75 members have voted

  1. 1. If we can only get one, who do we get?

    • Bruce Irvin
      4
    • Danny Trevathan
      37
    • Mario Williams
      34


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow really is this even a real question/poll.

So whoever took Irvin > Mario I don't know what to say to but wake up.

If they get Mario it'll be the first time since Abe that we had a legit double digit sack guy who can play every defensive snap.

Trevathan is next.

Irvin isn't in this race.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mario Williams. He's still a high-caliber player who not only would produce sacks and pressure, but also serve as a mentor role for Beasley and any other young passrusher(s) who I hope the Falcons acquire. With an improved pass rush, something that Mario offers, comes improved play among the linebackers (of course linebackers NEED to be addressed) and the secondary.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, CTann said:

Mario Williams. He's still a high-caliber player who not only would produce sacks and pressure, but also serve as a mentor role for Beasley and any other young passrusher(s) who I hope the Falcons acquire. With an improved pass rush, something that Mario offers, comes improved play among the linebackers (of course linebackers NEED to be addressed) and the secondary.

The mentor thing I don't care about I just want to see him drill Cam Drew and Jamies like he did to Tannerhill in Miami into the dirt leading with the shoulder into the rib cage laying 290lbs of hurt twice a year on unsuspecting QB's in our division.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To answer the question I would choose Travathan.

As long as we are as weak as we are at MLB and Will, it don't matter who we have rushing the passer... QBs will continue to dump the ball off to RBs and the rushers will always be a second too late.

We HAVE to address the middle of the defense.

Edited by FentayeJones
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hahahahaha. It would be Mario or nothing. Mario is a legit destructive force on the Dline allowing us to put pressure with just the front 4. 

Trevethan is not a must have player or a  a gamechanger. With a potent pass rush, even someone like Ragland can be productive in the second level. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

The mentor thing I don't care about I just want to see him drill Cam Drew and Jamies like he did to Tannerhill in Miami into the dirt leading with the shoulder into the rib cage laying 290lbs of hurt twice a year on unsuspecting QB's in our division.

Hey man, I'll take anyone who can do that for the Falcons. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Would be happy to see any of those three become a Falcon. Trevathan is my knee-jerk reaction, but I still can't decide whether he is as good as he seems because of the outstanding supporting cast he is surrounded with. Irvin has speed which we need, but he, too, is difficult to ascess on his own merits for the same reason. Both are younger than Wiliams and that is the only reason Mario is not #1 on my list of those three though he will very likely be productive for a few years. If I had to pick one, though, it would be Trevathan. A fast, aggressive Lb'er unit would vastly improve the Defense.  At #17we will have a chance to get a well rated DE (who could "grow' with Beasley as bookend edge rushers of the future) or a very good penatrating interior defensive lineman either of which can significantly improve the pass rush. Another possibility, which has been mentioned in previous posts, is that Clayborn was admittedly used 'wrong' last year. He could be a good choice to play DE opposite Beasley if a 1st round Interior DL fell to us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, FentayeJones said:

Travathan all day.

As long as we are as weak as we are at MLB and Will, it don't matter who we have rushing the passer... QBs will continue to dump the ball off to RBs and the rushers will always be a second too late.

We HAVE to address the middle of the defense.

For me it's the other way round I don't care whose playing MIKE or WILL you give a QB enough timeto pass you could have Superman playing LBer a good QB will always find someone.

On the other hand if that same QB is getting drilled an average LBer can somewhat have a chance to look better behind a decent rush. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If we were a just a pass rusher away from really competing for a Super Bowl, I would say Williams. However, we have a lot of holes to address, so it doesn't make much sense to sign a 31 year-old coming off his worst season to a massive deal. I'm not a big build through free agency guy anyway, but at least Trevathan fills a need and is only 25 years old.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, JRob215 said:

If we were a just a pass rusher away from really competing for a Super Bowl, I would say Williams. However, we have a lot of holes to address, so it doesn't make much sense to sign a 31 year-old coming off his worst season to a massive deal. I'm not a big build through free agency guy anyway, but at least Trevathan fills a need and is only 25 years old.

This is the type of thinking that I don't get.

If we have so many holes like you say why are we trying to fix it all when.

1.We are only middle of the road in cap space.

2.We only have 5 picks in the draft.

The fix everything in one hit is the quickest way to failiure.

What we need to do is put all our resources into the 2-3 biggest holes fix them with the best talent we can not spread ourselves thin like you are suggesting if we do it that way it's sure fire going to fail.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

AThis is the type of thinking that I don't get.

If we have so many holes like you say why are we trying to fix it all when.

1.We are only middle of the road in cap space.

2.We only have 5 picks in the draft.

The fix everything in one hit is the quickest way to failiure.

What we need to do is put all our resources into the 2-3 biggest holes fix them with the best talent we can not spread ourselves thin like you are suggesting if we do it that way it's sure fire going to fail.

The Falcons are rebuilding the entire defense under Dan Quinn. I'm fine with signing younger guys that can grow with the team, but signing past-their-prime free agents that will only be good for another two seasons (if that) doesn't make sense unless you are already an established contender like Denver.

That's just my philosophy - you don't build through free agency. The Redskins, for one, are the perfect example of that.

Edited by JRob215
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, JRob215 said:

The Falcons are rebuilding the entire defense under Dan Quinn. I'm fine with signing younger guys that can grow with the team, but signing past-their-prime free agents that will only be good for another two seasons (if that) doesn't make sense unless you are already an established contender like Denver.

That's just my philosophy - you don't build through free agency. The Redskins, for one, are the perfect example of that.

Your philosophy has to be adaptable I agree the draft is the key but sometimes you can't just stick to the status quo and pretend it's the be all and end all if there's guys out there that can help you and can produce at a high level and your in a position to get them why not go get them.

Mario Williams is one of those guys.DQ is fooling himself if he thinks he's fixing every hole with what we have picks and FA $$$$ wise this year with only 5 picks this year is where we have to strike some real talent in FA make up for lack of picks hanging round in the mid tier isn't going to do it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd take Mario, pair him with Vic and our pass rush instantly becomes a lot better, then we get our LB in the first, we have missed having a pass rush for awhile, suddenly other positions benefit from it, our corners aren't cover over 5 plus seconds, we need constant qb pressure, we get Mario, a center, a top 2nd option receiver in free agency, then address other needs through the draft, we'd still have cap room to fill other areas

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Your philosophy has to be adaptable I agree the draft is the key but sometimes you can't just stick to the status quo and pretend it's the be all and end all if there's guys out there that can help you and can produce at a high level and your in a position to get them why not go get them.

Mario Williams is one of those guys.DQ is fooling himself if he thinks he's fixing every hole with what we have picks and FA $$$$ wise this year with only 5 picks this year is where we have to strike some real talent in FA make up for lack of picks hanging round in the mid tier isn't going to do it.

Mario Williams is a short term asset for a contending team.

Though many don't want to believe it, we are in a multi-year rebuild with our defense. I'm not saying we fix everything in one season, in fact I'm arguing completely against that. I believe you build primarily through the draft and supplement that with players that can be short-term place holders for the young talent that is coming through. Occasionally, when a young, established player such as Trevathan hits the market, you have to at least look into it.

I would look at the Packers as the perfect model of that philosophy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Trying to fix every problem is how you end up getting bargain players. Right now we have corner stone players in key positions. Mario would instantly make the most important position on defense a strength. The other major holes like C and Mlb can be fit with the remaining cap and first 2 rds in the draft. 

Also cobtrarybto popular belief in this forum. Elite DEs dont burst into flames when they turn 31

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, JRob215 said:

Mario Williams is a short term asset for a contending team.

Though many don't want to believe it, we are in a multi-year rebuild with our defense. I'm not saying we fix everything in one season, in fact I'm arguing completely against that. I believe you build primarily through the draft and supplement that with players that can be short-term place holders for the young talent that is coming through. Occasionally, when a young, established player such as Trevathan hits the market, you have to at least look into it.

I would look at the Packers as the perfect model of that philosophy.

You're going to pay more for trevathan just because of his team's accomplishments. I've seen nothing from trevathan to make me think he's worth Bobby Wagner money. He was a mid round pick that performed well on a stacked team. How many guys like that have we seen fail on a new team? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...