Mario Williams Released

38 minutes ago, andrews31cain21 said:

Actually their numbers are similiar.  Osi had 85 sacks in 161 games.  Williams has 96 in 145 games.  Basically Osi has 0.52 sacks per game and Williams has 0.66 sacks per game.  Keep in mind Osi was basically a rotation player in Atlanta and his last season with ATL did not play much near the end of season.  So saying Osi is not in the same league is a false statement.  Not saying he was as good as Mario, but he was close.

Osi was just a good player who maximized his potential and had a nice career. Mario Williams has a body from the gods and for as good as he is, has probably underachieved a little. He has the tools to keep going for a while like a Julius Peppers or Kevin Carter. 

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a question?  If Mario isn't the answer on a defense that already has some pretty good players, what makes him the answer to making the Falcons better as a defense?

It takes a team to win, and a player "IS ONLY ELITE WHEN HIS TEAM MATES PUT HIM IN THAT POSITION TO BE SO".......

Just my opinion........ Personally, Falcons should try and draft a pass rusher, they got what they need already in Beasley and Hagemen. Build on what they've got, through the draft and I am as sick as every other Falcons fan on here having to say "Just WAIT" because that really sucks, but it is what it is. We shall see how this all pan's out, but as a fan I still say NO TO MARIO! JMO........... 

1 hour ago, Halsey. said:

Looking forward to all the crying if the Falcons are not the 1 of 32 teams that signs him. Typical fan logic to think your team should just be able to make a phone call and he's as good as signed. 

no most of us are just hoping that idiot td will make a splash at some point this off season in free agency and mw is the guy

4 minutes ago, GTBF54 said:

Yep............

Vernon has never been "The guy", I'd be fine with him for 7-8 mil a year, but over 10 is pretty ridiculos. At least with Mario you get some vet leadership for hopefully Beasley and a young pass rusher we can draft and develop in the 1-3 round range. 

just my 2 cents

We have to sign a pass rusher that Drew, Cam, and Jameis will think about in their sleep...You have to gameplan to win your division first and foremost. These guys laugh when they see the Falcons on the schedule..Sign Mario... Sign a center...Draft a LB, S, TE, G.  And Im happy..

1 hour ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

$13.3 millon a year for an elite pass rusher, that's a steal.

I think he can be had for about $22m or so in the first 2 yrs. 

4yr deal around $45m. $12m signing bonus/roster/whatever/guarantee 1st yr salary.

1st yr - 4m salary + 3m bonus =7m cap

2ndyr $6m salary + 3m bonus= 9m cap

3rd  8m salary+ 3m bonus = $11m cap

4th $10m salary +$3m bonus =13m cap

He gets $22m  first 2 yrs which I think he is worth should be looking for. You could even bump it up to $25m with minimal damage to the cap. That's how I see his deal going. Basically 2yrs then u go from there.

Edited by jeffro2000

6 hours ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

OK, lets examine why he'd come here.  Or is this going to be all about money for him again?

#1, we have a huge need and a genuine, proven, defensive minded HC

#2 he gets to play accross from one of the hottest, up & coming pass rushers in the nfl in VB

#3 he will be playing in the newest, latest state of the art mega-domes in all of football

#4 he'll fit our scheme and do what he does best again

Hope you're right about #2......don't see it

Sign him ... And I'd be completely fine with the 3 year 40 mil that was mentioned.  Time to over pay a little for a proven commodity.  Based off what I've read he has a chip on his shoulder after being misused by Rex.  Mario is the type of player that AB wants on cups at the Pantheon when it opens...I'll buy one.  

6 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

PMF stop it Bro it's getting my hopes up here.

JBO what's scarey is that even in a down year like last year Mario is still rated in the top 100 **** the top 45 even that's just scarey good not any in the league would be rated that highly after the down year he had. 

You do realize that ranking was put together before the season right?

6 hours ago, BreakFree11 said:

Why sign Williams for big money when he only has a couple good years left and we can daft a DE in the first round and have him for 10. I like him and all but we have waaay too many holes to fill in FA.

He just turned 31. That means he still has 3 or 4 good years left in him.

5 hours ago, g-dawg said:

I am not sure signing a 31yr old Super Mario would be the best long-term move for Falcons.

I am fairly certain signing Super Mario would be the best short-term move for the Falcons though

And this from a Super Mario fan. Nobody lobbied harder for Williams on TATF than G-Dawg and Kiwi the year he went to BUF. 

I agree Dawg, Mario would be a great short term fix, but maybe not a long term fix. I think it's time for us to go long. Get two young contributors for the price of Mario. 

He will have plenty of suitors and won't come cheap. Get two 27 year olders and ride em for four or five years. DE, LB, DT, SS, FS, CB, WR, TE, C, OG, any combination.

7 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

And this from a Super Mario fan. Nobody lobbied harder for Williams on TATF than G-Dawg and Kiwi the year he went to BUF. 

I agree Dawg, Mario would be a great short term fix, but maybe not a long term fix. I think it's time for us to go long. Get two young contributors for the price of Mario. 

He will have plenty of suitors and won't come cheap. Get two 27 year olders and ride em for four or five years. DE, LB, DT, SS, FS, CB, WR, TE, C, OG, any combination.

And once Mario get 12.5 sacks somewhere you will blame TD for not signing him right?

13 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Not sure there is a Longview with Ryan at QB. Ryan doesn't strike me as the kind of QB that plays into his late 30's. Hope I'm wrong but he's been hit too much. Like Bartkowski back in the day. The Falcons need production now. You  need rest too. 

I'm ALL IN.  Like was stated earlier, we have two games each vs Cam, Brees and Winston and to have them crapping in their pants and on the field with MW and VB out there foaming out the mouth to plant their butts into the turf, nothing would give me more pleasure!   Not to mention, we play the NFC West and the AFC East next year (Meaning Mario gets to set sights on a 'Revenge' game against the Bills!). 

Edited by falconfansince66

2 hours ago, GeorgiaFalconFan said:

Just a question?  If Mario isn't the answer on a defense that already has some pretty good players, what makes him the answer to making the Falcons better as a defense?

It takes a team to win, and a player "IS ONLY ELITE WHEN HIS TEAM MATES PUT HIM IN THAT POSITION TO BE SO".......

Just my opinion........ Personally, Falcons should try and draft a pass rusher, they got what they need already in Beasley and Hagemen. Build on what they've got, through the draft and I am as sick as every other Falcons fan on here having to say "Just WAIT" because that really sucks, but it is what it is. We shall see how this all pan's out, but as a fan I still say NO TO MARIO! JMO........... 

he got 5 sacks in a scheme he doesnt fit, thats still more than anyone on this roster