Jump to content

Dan Quinn, Falcons monitoring wide receivers closely


FentayeJones
 Share

Recommended Posts

Quote

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Atlanta Falcons certainly need to find a complement to wide receiver Julio Jones, which is why Dan Quinn and his staff are taking a long look at potential free agents and wide receiver prospects at this year's combine.

Quinn said the status of veteran Roddy White remains in limbo. Meanwhile the Falcons have done their homework on a list of players with expiring contract including Cleveland's Travis Benjamin, Cincinnati's Mohamed Sanu, Seattle's Jermaine Kearse and Washington's Nate Washington, among others.

"At each position, there's always some guys that catch you like, `Man, that guy can really make a difference and make an impact,'" Quinn said. "And oftentimes some of those guys, whether they're franchised or get back to their own club ... free agency can be a little tricky. You're interested, interested, then they're back to their own club.

"We went through them all, and there were definitely some guys that had our interest for sure."

Benjamin has a natural tie to the Falcons, having thrived in Kyle Shanahan's system when the Falcons' offensive coordinator held the same role with the Browns. But keep an eye on Sanu, a play-maker in his own right who would fit the scheme.

In terms of draft prospects, TCU's Josh Doctson, Ohio State's Braxton Miller and Notre Dame's Will Fuller are guys to keep an eye on if the Falcons target a wide receiver in the second round. Quinn got a closer look at the explosive Miller last month.

"My first interaction with him was at the Senior Bowl, and just seeing him battle and compete for it," Quinn said. "I know a little bit of his history of playing two positions (quarterback, wide receiver). So, I think he's got a huge future."

More than anything, the Falcons have to find a receiver capable of establishing separation in one-on-one situations, considering the added defensive attention Jones will continue to draw coming off a 136-catch, 1,871-yard season.

The wide receivers at the combine address the media Thursday and have on-field workouts Saturday.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/198716/dan-quinn-falcons-monitoring-wide-receivers-closely

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, 

This is a shelf created issue just like the center position. We cut ties with Harry D, to roll with injury plagued Hankerson. We end up releasing Hankerson and now Quinn seems hyper focus on addressing the position when we need a SS, MLB, OLB, C, TE, G, and DE. We cut Hawley a week before the regular season, to roll the dice with a player with no experience at the position. Now we are in desperate need of finding a competent player who can snap the ball when we had one under contract. 

We still have the worse pass rush in the league and were talking about wide outs in February. We drafted a WR last year, and gave up 5 picks for the one we just signed to a long term mega contract. 

I sincerely hope Quinn and his staff our successful and find the right guys, but I would like to see more attention paid to the obvious needs on the front lines instead of building from the outside. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, insight said:

Hmmm, 

This is a shelf created issue just like the center position. We cut ties with Harry D, to roll with injury plagued Hankerson. We end up releasing Hankerson and now Quinn seems hyper focus on addressing the position when we need a SS, MLB, OLB, C, TE, G, and DE. We cut Hawley a week before the regular season, to roll the dice with a player with no experience at the position. Now we are in desperate need of finding a competent player who can snap the ball when we had one under contract. 

We still have the worse pass rush in the league and were talking about wide outs in February. We drafted a WR last year, and gave up 5 picks for the one we just signed to a long term mega contract. 

I sincerely hope Quinn and his staff our successful and find the right guys, but I would like to see more attention paid to the obvious needs on the front lines instead of building from the outside. 

 

Harry is done and showed nothing with Ten last season. Q took the defense from dead last two seasons in a row to middle of the pack in one off season. Do you really think he won't bring this defense to a top 10 just because he wants to find a receiver to compliment Julio?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, stizz said:

Harry is done and showed nothing with Ten last season. Q took the defense from dead last two seasons in a row to middle of the pack in one off season. Do you really think he won't bring this defense to a top 10 just because he wants to find a receiver to compliment Julio?

Quinn improved the D, but pass rush remained atrocious and tight ends were still running like wild fire up the seam. Top 10 Defense, I don't really see that type of leap until we secure more talent allot of the numbers this year were a result of playing 5 backup QBs and having a very soft schedule. 

I think it would be more productive to focus on improving the offensive line which would improve the overall play of the QB and all the skill positions instead of getting distracted by the a shiny new receiver. Look at Seattle, they brought in Jimmy Graham, and he impact was minimal because Wilson was running for his life and they couldn't getting in sync. 

I hope I am wrong, but last year my biggest gripes were offensive line and pass rush. From my vantage point we still are soft at the line of scrimmage. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

IF snd i mean IF we are serious about finding a wide receiver then by all means it should be Josh Doctson.  The guy is so much of a breast that it doesnt make sense.  The ball doesnt need to be accurate for him to make a play.  Silky smooth player that can stretch the field.  Easily my favorite player in the draft. 

There's no reason to spend the amount of money on a free agent receiver that will be required to bring one aboard.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hope we go WR in the draft vs a free agent (unless the price is right). WR isn't a position I think we should overpay for, especially since WR1 and TE get peppered in KS system (see Johnson, Gordon, Jones under him)

That said, I think it was pretty obvious the team needs better performance from WR2, especially when the field shortens in the red zone, and it is easier to contain Jones.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

I hope we go WR in the draft vs a free agent (unless the price is right). WR isn't a position I think we should overpay for, especially since WR1 and TE get peppered in KS system (see Johnson, Gordon, Jones under him)

That said, I think it was pretty obvious the team needs better performance from WR2, especially when the field shortens in the red zone, and it is easier to contain Jones.

 

I dont really like this WR class so I hope for the exact opposite. taking a WR in round 2 and 3 with some of the talent at other positions would be a mistake. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, insight said:

Hmmm, 

This is a shelf created issue just like the center position. We cut ties with Harry D, to roll with injury plagued Hankerson. We end up releasing Hankerson and now Quinn seems hyper focus on addressing the position when we need a SS, MLB, OLB, C, TE, G, and DE. We cut Hawley a week before the regular season, to roll the dice with a player with no experience at the position. Now we are in desperate need of finding a competent player who can snap the ball when we had one under contract. 

We still have the worse pass rush in the league and were talking about wide outs in February. We drafted a WR last year, and gave up 5 picks for the one we just signed to a long term mega contract. 

I sincerely hope Quinn and his staff our successful and find the right guys, but I would like to see more attention paid to the obvious needs on the front lines instead of building from the outside. 

 

Good point. We have been creating a lot if unnecessary problems on this roster. Biggest example is Roddy imo. We need wide receiver  help so we get rid of the second best wr on this team... Makes sense.

Let's keep him, find a number 2 and if someone goes down Roddy can make a difference for a game or 2. Julio isn't exactly known for his ability to stay off an injury report. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, krammmit said:

Good point. We have been creating a lot if unnecessary problems on this roster. Biggest example is Roddy imo. We need wide re I ever help so we get rid of the second best wr on this team... Makes sense.

Let's keep him, find a number 2 and if someone goes down Roddy can make a difference for a game or 2. Julio isn't exactly known for his ability to stay off an injury report. 

If Roddy White is the second best receiver on the team then we most definitely need to be looking at the receiver position. Roddy would the the 3rd or 4th receiver on most teams on the league. There are a couple of teams where Roddy would not even make the roster - at least not at his current price tag.

Edited by FentayeJones
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey guys I have a secret... You can get better at multiple positions in the offseason! I know it's hard to grasp but just because we want to fill the need at receiver doesn't mean we don't want to fill the need at other positions. I'm sorry but Quinn knows we have needs in the trenches and at linebacker and safety. He has said so in almost every interview since the season but he knows we need help at receiver too

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Colin_Pernett said:

Hey guys I have a secret... You can get better at multiple positions in the offseason! I know it's hard to grasp but just because we want to fill the need at receiver doesn't mean we don't want to fill the need at other positions. I'm sorry but Quinn knows we have needs in the trenches and at linebacker and safety. He has said so in almost every interview since the season but he knows we need help at receiver too

Exactly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, FentayeJones said:

If Roddy White is the second best receiver on the team then we most definitely need to be looking at the receiver position. Roddy would the the 3rd or 4th receiver on most teams on the league. There are a couple of teams where Roddy would not even make the roster - at least not at his current price tag.

Exactly, that's my point. Roddy would be  3rd or 4th option on most teams. That's what I am trying to say. Our 2nd best receiver is Roddy. After that our best guy is at best a 4th receiver. So getting rid of Roddy turns getting a number 2 receiver into getting a 2nd, a 3rd, and probably a 4th.

It makes more of a problem then it has to be. Especially since we have limited amount of picks and multiple positions needed to be filled.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Colin_Pernett said:

Hey guys I have a secret... You can get better at multiple positions in the offseason! I know it's hard to grasp but just because we want to fill the need at receiver doesn't mean we don't want to fill the need at other positions. I'm sorry but Quinn knows we have needs in the trenches and at linebacker and safety. He has said so in almost every interview since the season but he knows we need help at receiver too

When Quinn was asked to evaluate their progress in  free agency and the draft last season his response was  "WE NAILED IT". We addressed many positions last season and they all feel like Dejavu heading into 2016. Hankerson, Charles Godfrey Rex Grossman, Justin Durrant and Reed were all part of the nailed it free agency class. Hopefully with the changes made in the front office this year will be better. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry I suck at embedding these tweets but more on Fuller.  I would be ecstatic with Fuller or Doctson in the 2nd. 

 

  1. Notre Dame WR Will Fuller just told me the Falcons are his favorite team. Loved the idea of a possible Philly connection w/ Matt Ryan

Edited by falconsfan4life3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, insight said:

Quinn improved the D, but pass rush remained atrocious and tight ends were still running like wild fire up the seam. Top 10 Defense, I don't really see that type of leap until we secure more talent allot of the numbers this year were a result of playing 5 backup QBs and having a very soft schedule. 

I think it would be more productive to focus on improving the offensive line which would improve the overall play of the QB and all the skill positions instead of getting distracted by the a shiny new receiver. Look at Seattle, they brought in Jimmy Graham, and he impact was minimal because Wilson was running for his life and they couldn't getting in sync. 

I hope I am wrong, but last year my biggest gripes were offensive line and pass rush. From my vantage point we still are soft at the line of scrimmage. 

I totally agree here. 2nd round is way too early to consider a WR with all our other needs. We're falling into the same trap once again. We'd be better off drafting a solid OG or a Center and giving guys like Hardy more time to develop. And that doesn't even *consider* all our defensive needs.

If you get a steal on a TE in the 2nd round, then MAYBE you pounce. Otherwise, you go trenches or LB.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, krammmit said:

Exactly, that's my point. Roddy would be  3rd or 4th option on most teams. That's what I am trying to say. Our 2nd best receiver is Roddy. After that our best guy is at best a 4th receiver. So getting rid of Roddy turns getting a number 2 receiver into getting a 2nd, a 3rd, and probably a 4th.

It makes more of a problem then it has to be. Especially since we have limited amount of picks and multiple positions needed to be filled.

Ok I see what you are getting at. I am speaking from the aspect that whether Roddy is here or not, we still need a receiver and we absolutely should be looking.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No to Fuller..........

Rotoworld...

Notre Dame WR Will Fuller's hands measured just 8 1/4 inches at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Fuller's smallish hands may have played a part in his penchant for college drops, which are the biggest knock against the speedster's game. Fuller stands 6-foot, 186 and showed the ability to outrun coverage for the Irish. College Football Focus charged Fuller with 21 drops over the past two seasons.
 
Feb 25 - 12:15 PM
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, insight said:

When Quinn was asked to evaluate their progress in  free agency and the draft last season his response was  "WE NAILED IT". We addressed many positions last season and they all feel like Dejavu heading into 2016. Hankerson, Charles Godfrey Rex Grossman, Justin Durrant and Reed were all part of the nailed it free agency class. Hopefully with the changes made in the front office this year will be better. 

 

You act like every single back end roster move is supposed to be a slam dunk.  Just not how it works. You go through each and every single option. Then quickly move on from the ones that don't work.  Just part of the process. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, GTBF54 said:

No to Fuller..........

Rotoworld...

Notre Dame WR Will Fuller's hands measured just 8 1/4 inches at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Fuller's smallish hands may have played a part in his penchant for college drops, which are the biggest knock against the speedster's game. Fuller stands 6-foot, 186 and showed the ability to outrun coverage for the Irish. College Football Focus charged Fuller with 21 drops over the past two seasons.
 

 

I have no idea what the real number is but according to NFL.com it was 9 not 21 drops in 2 years. 

Edited by falconsfan4life3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Atlfanstckndenver said:

You act like every single back end roster move is supposed to be a slam dunk.  Just not how it works. You go through each and every single option. Then quickly move on from the ones that don't work.  Just part of the process. 

I did not proclaim the Falcons nailed free agency Quinn did. I'm not expecting miracles but we should start seeing more answers than questions. Right now there are big questions about our linebacker core, pass rush, interior line and strong safety position. 

Edited by insight
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Former Auburn WR Duke Williams gets emotional while discussing bar fight, dismissal: ‘It wasn’t worth it’

Posted : 13 mins ago
Alex Martin Smith
SECcountry staff

INDIANAPOLIS — An emotional D’haquille “Duke” Williams fought back tears Thursday afternoon while updating the media on his path to the NFL draft.

The former Auburn wide receiver was kicked off the team in October following a bar fight and two previous suspensions. His personal life — and draft stock — cratered in the aftermath.

“Plenty of nights I went to sleep and I cried,” Williams said, his voice shaking. “I really cried. Because I ain’t hurt myself. I also hurt my family. My friends. My teammates. Coaches who gave me chance after chance. I hurt them.”

With anxiety and regret consuming him, Williams decided to attend counseling sessions.

“I had to really collect myself as a person,” he said. “When I lost football, it felt like I lost a lot of things. It’s something I put my heart into. And to lose it overnight; it wasn’t worth it.”

An NFL combine invite lifted his spirits after the new year, and he now faces a tough task: Convincing teams he’s not the same man who got himself kicked out of Auburn.

Last year, many analysts saw Williams as a top pick in the draft.

If I didn’t get in any trouble, I know I’m a legit first-round pick,” he said. “God had other plans. I’m a first-round pick no matter what, but off the field, I’m a seventh-round pick. My character’s a seventh-round pick.”

With surveillance footage of his bar assault still readily available on the Internet, Williams will be under close observation by all 32 teams before the draft begins in late April.

Thursday, he emphasized the need to be accountable.

“I regret the fight,” he said. “(Coach Gus) Malzahn, he gave me chance after chance. It’s not his fault. It’s my fault because I should’ve learned. He took a chance on me. And I hurt the Auburn family by getting dismissed.”

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/former-auburn-wr-duke-williams-gets-emotional-while-discussing-bar-fight-dismissal-it-wasnt-worth-it

 

ComplexAlienatedFieldspaniel.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...