White opens up on Falcons’ offense, his future

theProf

2 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Interesting comments on Shanny. I already knew about the McClure Troff.

I'm working on my offseason retooling plan. When I get down to the numbers, Roddy might have to go. We're hurtin on the defensive side of the ball folks. It's time to fix that. We need Olineman more than receivers on the offensive side of the ball.

If he goes it won't be the first time a fan fav did. I've seen Bart, Jessie, Deion, Rison, Claude, Andrews, Case, Jam, Abe, Chandelier, Turner, Vick, Crump, Dunn, Nobis, Van Note, Kenn and many more either get cut or let walk. Many unceremoniously. We can survive a Roddy cut. Trust me.

Yeah we're not known for making good decision.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Interesting comments on Shanny. I already knew about the McClure Troff.

I'm working on my offseason retooling plan. When I get down to the numbers, Roddy might have to go. We're hurtin on the defensive side of the ball folks. It's time to fix that. We need Olineman more than receivers on the offensive side of the ball.

If he goes it won't be the first time a fan fav did. I've seen Bart, Jessie, Deion, Rison, Claude, Andrews, Case, Jam, Abe, Chandelier, Turner, Vick, Crump, Dunn, Nobis, Van Note, Kenn and many more either get cut or let walk. Many unceremoniously. We can survive a Roddy cut. Trust me.

Many of those were good decisions.. but you didn't mention the one we never recuperated from ,, Curtis Lofton and was the player we never could replace .... my point is he played a great game for several years after he went to NO. Against us....

On 2/24/2016 at 0:06 PM, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

I thought I asked...  "Cut Roddy and go with what else we have??", which is what you stated. "Justin Hardy for 1. Not to mention the RB, TE and FB that is part of the QB progression tree before the QB looks at the #2 WR in this offense. I am not sure if you know this, but Roddy is #5 on the pecking order to whom Ryan throws to."

So no, I didn't read anything about FAs because you didn't say anything about them. 

Let me change the Tenor of this back and fourth by stating my full position on mr. White. No, I am not one of the people on this board that doesn't think he is replaceable, he is. I am also not one of the folks on this board that doesn't realized this May not be the best time to let him go as we have a lot of holes to fill as you additionally stated(offensive line). 

With that said... I STILL think it would be a better idea to draft a WR than free agency IF we were going to replace him. That actually gives us to option to keep or release him this year as well. 

Another point is that in todays NFL you play a heavy amount of three Receiver formations so it's a good idea to have four or more dependable guys on your roster as well for such a situation.

"Today's NFL" as it applies to 3 receiver formations are not indicative of what the Falcons are doing currently. That is a general statement of what most teams are doing, not what Shanahan has planned for this offense. So that is irrelevant. Shanahan has the #2 WR as the 5th option in his offense. You are just going to have to deal with that fact. Therefore it is not nearly the priority it is just because you want the Falcons to do what the NFL at large is doing, and that is running multiple WR sets.

Shanny has built this offense with the running game coming first. Shanny is known for making RBs not WRs. At best you will have 1 WR with the big yards and the #2 being for the most part being a decoy. Since the fact that the interior line sucks at protecting MR, MR has little time even looking to his #3 option or anything else beyond that. So unless the interior is fixed 1st, worry about the #5 option in this offense is that much less of a priority. This is also why the offense struggled because if teams could stop the #1 and #2 options, they knew MR wouldn't really have time to go down his progression tree. Now you can blame Shanny for that, which he is partially to blame, but this scheme is not going to change regardless in how we feel about it. We know Shanny is stubborn, and we also know Quinn supports him.

15 minutes ago, Intellectually Honest said:

"Today's NFL" as it applies to 3 receiver formations are not indicative of what the Falcons are doing currently. That is a general statement of what most teams are doing, not what Shanahan has planned for this offense. So that is irrelevant. Shanahan has the #2 WR as the 5th option in his offense. You are just going to have to deal with that fact. Therefore it is not nearly the priority it is just because you want the Falcons to do what the NFL at large is doing, and that is running multiple WR sets.

Shanny has built this offense with the running game coming first. Shanny is known for making RBs not WRs. At best you will have 1 WR with the big yards and the #2 being for the most part being a decoy. Since the fact that the interior line sucks at protecting MR, MR has little time even looking to his #3 option or anything else beyond that. So unless the interior is fixed 1st, worry about the #5 option in this offense is that much less of a priority. This is also why the offense struggled because if teams could stop the #1 and #2 options, they knew MR wouldn't really have time to go down his progression tree. Now you can blame Shanny for that, which he is partially to blame, but this scheme is not going to change regardless in how we feel about it. We know Shanny is stubborn, and we also know Quinn supports him.

This is hyper simplistic.  Sometimes the no. 2 is the first read.  The offense is designed to move pieces around on the fly to keep the defense from keying on one player.  That's not how it was executed last season, for a lot of reasons.  And yes, the no. 1 receiver is going to play heavily, as is the no. 1 RB and the no. 1 TE.  So the no. 2 receiver overall gets less volume than any of those, but to say the no. 2 receiver is "the 5th option" is not accurate.  That's not how any offense works, this one included.

I do agree with you that they had Roddy way down in the progression disproportionately last season, so I think your overall point is valid.  But if they decided in a particular game to take advantage of a matchup and move Roddy to the no. 1 read for certain plays, that's well within this system, and easily done either at the line or with the playcall.

The other thing that mitigates this is the QB can go through 4 reads lightning fast in this system.  I forgot which game it was, but it was late -- I think before our win against Carolina but I'm not sure.  Anyway, there was a particular play where Ryan bounced through his reads and hit the 4th option in less than 2 seconds.  I remember it because I told my dad "that's how this is supposed to look."  He still wasn't doing it consistently, but he was starting to figure it out by then.  If he can ever put it together, Roddy or whoever replaces him will get more targets.  One reason Julio was targeted so much is Ryan locked on him early and then was late getting to the next targets.  That's also a reason the targets later in the progression weren't getting as many balls -- they were covered by the time he got to them.  Getting the timing down will help with that a lot.