Falcons free agent LB O'Brien Schofield feels knee is not issue

FentayeJones

O'Brien Schofield has experienced the ups and downs of free agency before, so he knows what to expect and how to handle it.

The Atlanta Falcons outside linebacker realizes there are lingering questions about arthritis in his left knee. Those concerns cost him a two-year, $8 million contract with the Giants two years ago.

As he enters free agency again this March, Schofield hopes his knee is a non-issue for everyone, including the Falcons.

"A lot of teams have been worried about my knee, man," Schofield said. "I didn't miss any games in three years. I've been in the postseason twice.

"They say I'm bone-on-bone, so a little arthritis. But the way I look at it is, it hasn't stopped me. And I think it's time to stop the knee talk and talk about what I do on tape. This has nothing to do with my physical health because I've done everything I can do to be healthy and be available for every game, play at a high level, and be effective."

Schofield is one of 12 Falcons set to become unrestricted free agents on March 9. He played in all 16 games last season, starting 10 and playing 466 total defensive snaps. Schofield would be the first to say he wanted to put up bigger numbers, after finishing with just two sacks and 28 tackles. His transition away from a pass-rushing role later in the season no doubt contributed to his low sack total, although he was second on the team with 13 quarterback hits.

One could argue Schofield's value exceeds most of the other impending free agents purely based on the leadership and toughness he brings to the locker room.

"I want to be here in Atlanta," Schofield said. "If they ask me why they should keep me, I'm going to tell them that I'm a leader. I know how this game is played. I give 100 percent effort every time on the field. I'm a great guy in the locker room. I've been in Coach (Dan) Quinn's system, so I know exactly what he's looking for as far as how to practice, how to play. I do believe I'm an emotional leader on this team.

"And I've stepped into multiple roles. I played Will (linebacker). I played Sam (linebacker). I played D-end. I've done whatever has been asked of me. I really feel like I'm an intricate part of this team."

Schofield signed a one-year, $1.75 million contract last season after two years in Seattle, where he won a Super Bowl and had Quinn as his defensive coordinator. He was offered a two-year deal from the Falcons but declined.

"I didn't regret that, not at all," Schofield said. "I thought it worked out perfectly. I think it really allows me to see what my value is to the Falcons. It was a great opportunity for me to prove myself to my teammates, to the coaches, to the organization.

"And on the one-year deal, it was protection so they could see how the knee was. That's been a concern the last three years. And each year, I've managed to quiet that down. I'm hoping this year in free agency, the knee is not an issue. I hope it's more about my performance and what I mean in the locker room and on the field."

http://espn.go.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/post/_/id/19060/falcons-obrien-schofield-feels-knee-no-issue-approaching-free-agency

1 minute ago, kiwifalcon said:

Him and Wheeler are both keepers for me as there both Dawg's.

I'd upgrade him to around 2-2.5 mill a season.

I think Schofield, Stupar and Wheeler are great rotational players and we should bring back all three. The problem is the guys that we had starting at LB - they were worse than the backups.

Just now, FentayeJones said:

I think Schofield, Stupar and Wheeler are great rotational players and we should bring back all three. The problem is the guys that we had starting at LB - they were worse than the backups.

No doubt but the good thing is we can double dip Draft & FA and still get good guys.

Its just all dependent on how the FO want to play this.I got a feeling that 2nd round pick I s where we'll move to get that WLBer.

4 hours ago, gazoo said:

It hurts like heII when bone and bone smash together in any kind of collision. 

I can imagine.  My knee gets a little tender when I put in too many miles and that makes me want to spend a few days doing nothing.  I can't imagine being a pro ball player and walking around every day with bone rubbing against bone, let alone training, practicing and actually playing.

1 minute ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

I can imagine.  My knee gets a little tender when I put in too many miles and that makes me want to spend a few days doing nothing.  I can't imagine being a pro ball player and walking around every day with bone rubbing against bone, let alone training, practicing and actually playing.

A bone bruise is infinitely more painful than a muscle bruise. It takes a couple of months for a bone bruise to tame down a bit. It sounds like Scho's been fortunate the last few years where he hasn't had a collision that tested it but I may be wrong as I don't have his condition. I do have experience with bone bruises though.

Yeah, that bone-on-bone stuff doesn't sound very good.  I don't think I'd give him more than another 1 year deal, at about 1.5 to 2 mill ---

I know NFL football is a violent sport, and guys get injured --- that's one thing --- but, I'm just done with us signing/re-signing guys who we know are hurt and injury prone!  

No way to build a fundamentally sound football team --- 

2 hours ago, FalconJim said:

Yeah, that bone-on-bone stuff doesn't sound very good.  I don't think I'd give him more than another 1 year deal, at about 1.5 to 2 mill ---

I know NFL football is a violent sport, and guys get injured --- that's one thing --- but, I'm just done with us signing/re-signing guys who we know are hurt and injury prone!  

No way to build a fundamentally sound football team --- 

His argument is going to be to look at his record: he hasn't missed pretty much any game in the last few years. But the teams don't pay you for not being injured in the past, they pay you to not be injured in the future. And if you're bone on bone, no team is going to feel comfortable gambling this isn't the year your knee finally can't keep going. Once your knee is done, you're done.

I'm not so sure I believe his knee is Bone on Bone. maybe more Arthritic and if Arthritic then sure sign him. he's a great player to have

If that knee was truly bone on bone he'd have a hard enough time simply walking let alone running up and down the field . Obviously not knowing his tolerance for pain it may be possible he can play through it but no way near top speed

Bone on bone pretty much means the dude needs a Knee replacement. and if that's the case he's hosed. That's a major surgery and the replacement knee has a shelf like of 10-15 years so at his age he may be looking at several of those in his future

If I'm the GM.. I want my doctor to do a complete exam on that knee before I offer up ANY contract other then vet min with no signing bonus

10 hours ago, clownorg said:

I'm not so sure I believe his knee is Bone on Bone. maybe more Arthritic and if Arthritic then sure sign him. he's a great player to have

If that knee was truly bone on bone he'd have a hard enough time simply walking let alone running up and down the field . Obviously not knowing his tolerance for pain it may be possible he can play through it but no way near top speed

Bone on bone pretty much means the dude needs a Knee replacement. and if that's the case he's hosed. That's a major surgery and the replacement knee has a shelf like of 10-15 years so at his age he may be looking at several of those in his future

If I'm the GM.. I want my doctor to do a complete exam on that knee before I offer up ANY contract other then vet min with no signing bonus

I forget where I read it, but Schofield actually said it was "pretty much bone on bone, with some arthritis in it".  But also said, he didn't think it affected him that much, and that his play speaks for itself. But, I'm with you, I would have to have a qualified orthopaedic doctor guarantee that his knee is fit enough to play another season, and play at a pro level, before I offered him anything!  My gut tells me it's only a matter of time before the knee gives up, and just our luck, it would be right after we re-sign him ---