ESPN Insider: Big 2016 for Falcons' Vic Beasley

FentayeJones

• Vaughn McClureESPN Staff Writer

Atlanta Falcons rookie Vic Beasley would be the first to say he was far from satisfied with his first NFL season despite setting a franchise rookie record with four sacks.

As he prepares for Year 2, one ESPN expert said he believes Beasley will have a strong sophomore campaign.

Former NFL player and ESPN Insider Matt Bowen named Beasley was one of five rookies "ready to pop in Year 2." Joining Beasley on the list are Dorial Green-Beckham of the Titans, Jeremy Langford of the Bears, Quinten Rollins of the Packers, and Clive Walford of the Raiders.

You can read the entire breakdown here (Insider). This is a snippet of what Bowen had to say about Beasley:

Beasley recorded only four sacks in 2015, which is low for a top-10 pick. But I caution against looking only at box scores to analyze his production: Beasley progressively improved over the course of the season, based on the tape I watched. That's a sign of development at a position in which rookies often struggle. It's hard to consistently win on the edge in the NFL.

Beasley said he played the entire season with a torn labrum in his right shoulder, an injury he refused to use as an excuse. Falcons coach Dan Quinn said Beasley will not have to undergo shoulder surgery.

The Falcons need Beasley to be dominant next season as they try to fix a broken pass rush. They finished last in the league with 19 sacks. Getting Beasley some pass-rush help up front will help the cause.

Vic Beasley Jr., DE, Atlanta Falcons

Beasley's combine performance the past February was absolutely ridiculous. At 6-foot-3, 246 pounds, the former Clemson star ran a 4.53 40-yard dash, posted a vertical jump of 41 inches and recorded a time of 6.91 in the three-cone drill. Those are numbers we would expect from a defensive back -- not a 240-plus-pound edge rusher. Oh, and he threw some weight around at the combine, with 35 reps on the bench test.

Even with all the buzz Beasley generated, questions lingered. Would his athleticism translate to the field on Sundays? Could he develop the counter moves necessary to get to the quarterback?

Beasley recorded only four sacks in 2015, which is low for a top-10 pick. But I caution against looking only at box scores to analyze his production: Beasley progressively improved over the course of the season, based on the tape I watched. That's a sign of development at a position in which rookies often struggle. It's hard to consistently win on the edge in the NFL. Speed, or burst, is one thing -- you need that. But can you set up offensive tackles, use multiple moves at the point of attack, win with your hands and create a positive angle to put a hit on the quarterback? This stuff takes time (and reps) to truly see results.

With that one year of experience, tape to self-scout in the offseason and a better feel for the pro game, Beasley will be in position to produce more and become a disruptive edge rusher in Dan Quinn's scheme. Although he needs to improve against the run game (another transition for college players), his development is something to watch in 2016. All that speed and power? A lot of talent here.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/14755329/five-rookies-ready-pop-year-2-nfl

http://espn.go.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/post/_/id/19027/espn-insider-big-2016-for-falcons-vic-beasley

Edited by FentayeJones

I'll see if I can get to my insider account on my phone to post the whole thing... (And no I don't plan to renew it was a spur of the moment type thing).

edit: oh is that it at the end of the OP? 

Edited by HEIST

3 minutes ago, HEIST said:

I'll see if I can get to my insider account on my phone to post the whole thing... (And no I don't plan to renew it was a spur of the moment type thing).

edit: oh is that it at the end of the OP? 

Yeah but its not the whole article though, only what he wrote about Beasley after watching his game tape.

Edited by FentayeJones

Those 35 reps on the bench press is probably what tore the tindan in his shoulder.. Or did he do those reps with the injury?? He's a tough kid, I know that and I'm extremely glad we drafted him, If he stayes healthy next season, He'll be a force to be reckoned with.  I'd say he will have 10 sacks next year or more.

22 hours ago, SpongeDad said:

He jinx'd himself by saying he would have 10 sacks before ever playing a down in the NFL. We need a good LDE to take the load off Beasley in 2016.

Beaze got double-teamed a LOT this season.  An opposite edge rusher would help a lot and make Beaze a star!