Falcons owner Arthur Blank: I love Roddy White

theProf

Falcons owner Arthur Blank: I love Roddy White

• Vaughn McClure ESPN Staff Writer

Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank wants Roddy White to finish his career with the team but said the decision ultimately will come down to coach Dan Quinn.

The 34-year-old White just completed his 11th NFL season and has two years left on his contract. His salary cap number is $6,043,750 next season, a hefty figure based on White's limited role in offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan's scheme. And White has no desire to take a paycut.

Although Blank is a White supporter, he won't force the issue regarding which players remain on the roster.

"I have nothing but respect for Roddy and I love Roddy," Blank said in a telephone interview from the Super Bowl's radio row. "I love what he's done for our franchise. And I love the type of leadership that he has. And I love his role as a father.

"When it comes to where Roddy is in the future, that's where the owner doesn't get involved. That's a decision that will be made by the coach, the coaching staff and personnel. When they're ready to do it, they'll do it. They're in the process of going through the roster evaluation now. They've had some discussions. They'll have more discussions."

White said he wants to be a Falcon for life and play in the new Mercedes-Benz Stadium, which will be the Falcons' new home for the 2017 season. Blank was asked if he wants White to be on the roster for the grand opening.

"The answer is, of course, yes," Blank said. "Age does take its toll on players. Whether or not Roddy is going to have the capability at that point in time, I really don't know. But he's certainly competitively, and culturally, and community-wise, he's performed at the highest level for us for a long period of time. And during this year, in some tough situations, he played well."

Quinn, who has the final say over the 53-man roster, said he values the leadership White brings to the equation. Plus the Falcons probably would benefit from White's wisdom with assistant coach Raheem Morris making the move from defensive pass game coordinator to wide receivers coach.

White, the franchise's all-time leading receiver with 808 receptions for 10,863 yards and 63 touchdowns, had just 43 catches for 506 yards and one touchdown this past season. He expressed his desire for more touches early in the season, which led to meetings with both Quinn and Shanahan regarding his role.

5 minutes ago, big_dog said:

He did need more touches but Ryan obviously had narrowed his choices to get better results. I don't think worked very well did it?

I don't know if it is Ryan narrowing his choices to JJ or the play calling was limited. Irrespective, Roddy is one of the reason why some people come to games. That will play into the decision as well.

The article says AB loves RW.

How wonderful. So AB is in like company as we all love RW.

Then as you read, it says he won't be a part of the decision. And then it compares his current production to his current contract.

He does bring value to the club in other dynamic ways with his experience and competitive nature.  But at this stage of his career his production value does not justify the size of his contract in 2016.

You can allow yourself to get caught up with the emotional side of this thing, or you can ask yourself if that money could be used to get younger & more explosive in the near future.

Restructuring is the only wise way to keep one of our all time favorites. 

For the future of our franchise, this is the only logical and healthy solution. 

Roddy is only useful as a slot WR at this point. He has no break-away speed, no ability to separate vertically any more. He has to be thrown the ball right into his numbers to catch it. Its a tough decision to make, his $6 million cap is definitely a factor. If he could agree to restructure his contract, which he should, then it wouldnt be a problem keeping him around for another year or 2.

3 minutes ago, The Falcon Jedi Knight said:

Roddy is only useful as a slot WR at this point. He has no break-away speed, no ability to separate vertically any more. He has to be thrown the ball right into his numbers to catch it. Its a tough decision to make, his $6 million cap is definitely a factor. If he could agree to restructure his contract, which he should, then it wouldnt be a problem keeping him around for another year or 2.

quinn and td came out and said his contract was not a issue. its whether he can still play at the best of his ablity. quit hating mr negative. 

That's that, the Boss man said it so let's move on. Like someone posted " Roddy ain't going nowhere! Neither is TD, so let's try and figure out how we can make the  best team possible despite whether they should or should not be here and what they are paid. I think AB is more involved with whose on this team then we think. I'm cool with it but I hope RW don't force the issue next season if things aren't going his way and TD will listen to his Coaches and Scouts when drafting

I STILL dont see the supposedly " fall off" in Roddy's ability that the Falcons want us to believe. Looked to me the " fall off" was Shanahan not wanting to throw the ball to Roddy. The only receiver thats better than Roddy on that roster is Julio........

Edited by slickgadawg

2 hours ago, IronHead34 said:

Keep him. Our cap is fine and Quinn probably won't break the bank on FA. 

Excellent point. Somebody is going to have to teach Morris the rudiments of pass receiving, and it's not like Quinn and TD are looking to save cap room so they can go blow up the free agent market with a spending spree. We know that ain't happening.

I see nothing wrong with Roddy being a slot receiver. Look at Fitz or Welker they are/were intrical parts to their team. Roddy is better than half the receivers we have on this roster. Why get rid of your 3rd best receiver only to spend more in FA or using a draft pick in something that at this moment isn't a need. Let's get a 4th receiver instead of getting a 3rd AND a 4th!

3 hours ago, DirtyBird1990 said:

quinn and td came out and said his contract was not a issue. its whether he can still play at the best of his ablity.

As it should be, considering we would only save a little over $2 million by releasing him.  With his history with the team and our cap situation, you don't make that kind of decision just to save a couple million.

AB not very good at  making decisions involving the franchise and people working within the organization. That's why McKay and TD still have jobs with the Falcons. AB has a hard time separating business and personal feelings and what's best for the Atlanta Falcons. So in other words TD will keep RW and pay him 6M$ regardless if he's worth it

So fans would pass on an opportunity to grab Sanu, and other high end, prime WR in they're young career?

If you look at it now, we don't have a 1, 2 punch wr corps. We need another for Julio Jones not to be played out like madden every game. You gotta have that "other guy"

This offense would be potent with another young, proven WR. I love Roddy a lot.......but it is time.

Roddy is not getting paid 6 million dollars, he is getting half of that his cap impact is 6 million dollars. Last year when stayed well below the cap so and I doubt we will come close to the cap this year. 
TD has made such a mess of the roster we have zero depth at the wide out position. We really could use a TE, C, G, and X and Y receiver. We have no depth at QB, or the other offensive line positions. 

There are too many holes to cut Roddy right now, but I guess people are happy being the Atlanta Bucs or Atlanta Browns for a few years.

Why the **** does everyone on this board have a weird infatuation for Mohamed Sanu? The guy has only put up over 500 yards once in his 4 year career. He just finished this year w/ a little over 300 and no TD's.

Simply put, Harry Douglas was a better WR for us than Sanu would be,

Edited by RubberDucky

9 hours ago, RubberDucky said:

Why the **** does everyone on this board have a weird infatuation for Mohamed Sanu? The guy has only put up over 500 yards once in his 4 year career. He just finished this year w/ a little over 300 and no TD's.

You wouldn't hear me complaining about having HD back after having to put up with watching Hankerson dropping every other pass this year. Here's to Hardy turning into Antonio Brown this year...

15 hours ago, RubberDucky said:

Because a lot of people on this board is clueless.