The Center Position??

Door Gunner

1 minute ago, Bobby.Digital said:

Based on Macks play the last two years what makes you think he's a long term fix and worth the money? 

Well, I have Sunday Ticket, so I see plenty of Cleveland games because they're one of the teams I watch.

I don't see him getting shoved around, or tossing balls all over like bird shot. He's also well respected in league for his abilities, even though he plays for a typically bad team. That's especially proven out when one looks at the other centers who made the pro bowl. He's counted in very good company.

As I said, my FA belief is, I have a list of weaknesses. Who can I sign to cross something off that list for a significant number of years? Mack would allow us to not have to think about center for years. 

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

Well, I have Sunday Ticket, so I see plenty of Cleveland games because they're one of the teams I watch.

I don't see him getting shoved around, or tossing balls all over like bird shot. He's also well respected in league for his abilities, even though he plays for a typically bad team. That's especially proven out when one looks at the other centers who made the pro bowl. He's counted in very good company.

As I said, my FA belief is, I have a list of weaknesses. Who can I sign to cross something off that list for a significant number of years? Mack would allow us to not have to think about center for years. 

Based off what I've read on Browns forums Mack hasn't been good in almost 2 years. Most of them hope he opts out of his deal. Now based off his reputation there is a good chance a team will pay him based on his resume rather than the player he is now. I think it would be foolish for us to be that team. 

We all like to compare  so

I'd like to see the next Jeff Van Note but would settle for the next Todd McClure

Hence---- go get that Kelly guy--- center from Alabama.  He's currently rated the #1 center in the draft

he played in the SEC WEST so we know he has faced very stiff competition week and week after week.

I know no one wants to use a 1st rnd for a center  but they need to build from the trenches out

and it is the most desperate need.

6 hours ago, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

If Matthews is so good, and an automatic starter in this league....why is he a 7th rounder? Do you think there might be 5-8 better prospects? Wouldn't every team want a "sure" starter at OC? Just food for thought...

I doubt he makes it to the 7th round. My best guess is he goes as early as the fourth. There are better prospects but the drop off between them is negligible. I think that Matthews is underated and overlooked. We are in a unique position with him. Having his brother on the team can only motivate him further. Our first 3 picks will not be used on Center. If I were drafting I would go;

1) Nkemdiche

2) Martin ( Move to LG)

3) Wright

4) Matthews

Mack has already shown he wants to play for a losing team (ala the Browns and Johnny Football). Would people freak out with us paying a CENTER over 8 Million? 9 Million? 10 Million??

All his talk about  playing for a "Contender" is a joke considering his choice in 2015.

Why would 2016 be any different to this guys decision making? It won't. The center need is CLEAR, but Mack didn't even play the season that Shanny was the OC. (He was on IR most of the season) So Shanny being here is not an advantage.

I hope we sign Alex Mack, but the odds are very very low.

Edited by WWWD?

1 hour ago, Bobby.Digital said:

Based off what I've read on Browns forums Mack hasn't been good in almost 2 years. Most of them hope he opts out of his deal. Now based off his reputation there is a good chance a team will pay him based on his resume rather than the player he is now. I think it would be foolish for us to be that team. 

Well, OL play, especially the interior, is an esoteric judgment call anyway. I tend to err on what people in the league think. Honestly, most of us only notice them when they do something bad. Person is a great example. With Note, Dukes and McClure, we haven't spent a lot of years worrying about center. 

If they do not fix the OL we will be 7-9 next year right it down! We have got to have a c and a G. Kelly starts here day 1. Or spend for a a good C. I am so sick of we need D line. We need OL and LB and a SS. But hay guys on this bord wanted a guy who is Jarvis Jones 2.0 with our number 1 last year and not a pro bowl player and wonder why we sucked! 

On 2/1/2016 at 4:24 PM, delaigle said:

We all like to compare  so

I'd like to see the next Jeff Van Note but would settle for the next Todd McClure

Hence---- go get that Kelly guy--- center from Alabama.  He's currently rated the #1 center in the draft

he played in the SEC WEST so we know he has faced very stiff competition week and week after week.

I know no one wants to use a 1st rnd for a center  but they need to build from the trenches out

and it is the most desperate need.

Agreed. If you go the draft route, get the best one available. 

23 hours ago, WWWD? said:

Mack has already shown he wants to play for a losing team (ala the Browns and Johnny Football). Would people freak out with us paying a CENTER over 8 Million? 9 Million? 10 Million??

All his talk about  playing for a "Contender" is a joke considering his choice in 2015.

Why would 2016 be any different to this guys decision making? It won't. The center need is CLEAR, but Mack didn't even play the season that Shanny was the OC. (He was on IR most of the season) So Shanny being here is not an advantage.

I hope we sign Alex Mack, but the odds are very very low.

What about Mack's career suggests that he "wants to play for a losing team"?

On 1 February 2016 at 1:55 PM, Bobby.Digital said:

Im honestly amazed how overrated Alex Mack is on this board. His play has fell off big time. 

Mike Matthews is the answer. I know he's a rookie but he's a stud prospect imo. 

How is Matthews considered a stud prospect at C when most draft sitesI've seen have him the 4th or 5th best going.

Are you basing this off a gut feel last name what.

Also by waiting that long for a guy like this in the draft you are taking a huge gamble. 

48 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

How is Matthews considered a stud prospect at C when most draft sitesI've seen have him the 4th or 5th best going.

Are you basing this off a gut feel last name what.

Also by waiting that long for a guy like this in the draft you are taking a huge gamble. 

From watching him play I feel he's a stud C prospect. Best in this class. Not sure why the general media hasn't caught on or mabey they don't like him as much as I do but I like to form my own opinion on prospects. He would fit this scheme perfectly and could be a day 1 starter. I would have no issue selecting him in the 2nd or 3rd. 

Edited by Bobby.Digital

On 01/02/2016 at 2:06 PM, thanat0s said:

Well, OL play, especially the interior, is an esoteric judgment call anyway. I tend to err on what people in the league think. Honestly, most of us only notice them when they do something bad. Person is a great example. With Note, Dukes and McClure, we haven't spent a lot of years worrying about center. 

Nah dude Mack was bad this year. If your thinking he can get back to his own form that's one thing but I'm assuming you think he had a good year based on him making the probowl. Which history has shown is reputation based espically on the Oline. 

Edited by Bobby.Digital

1 hour ago, Bobby.Digital said:

From watching him play I feel he's a stud C prospect. Best in this class. Not sure why the general media hasn't caught on or mabey they don't like him as much as I do but I like to form my own opinion on prospects. He would fit this scheme perfectly and could be a day 1 starter. I would have no issue selecting him in the 2nd or 3rd. 

This is my contention so in your eyes your gut'stelling you this as I'm sure a lot of the mainstream has also looked at the games you have seen and ar not rating him that highly off the bat.

21 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

This is my contention so in your eyes your gut'stelling you this as I'm sure a lot of the mainstream has also looked at the games you have seen and ar not rating him that highly off the bat.

He's not the only one who sees it. Matthews looks solid. Perfect fit for a ZBS, has the pedigree, has a brother to motivate him. I think he will go in the 4th round. He's going to be very good in the NFL.