Even With Von Miller, Demarcus Ware, Derek Wolfe The Broncos Still Drafted A De In The First

Saints, Packers, Colts all won one with their offense.

Why do you act like there is only one way?

Posting fail of the week!!!

The Saints had a ridiculous positive turnover ratio that year thanks to their defense. Not to mention they were pretty good.

The Packers had the number 2 scoring defense and the number 4 defense is yardage allowed. They were very good.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do people need to pretend NFL teams win with offense or defense. NFL teams win by being a good all around team. Even the great defensive teams had good players on offense, and vice versa. Remember the Ravens team that supposedly won it all because of their defense? Yeah, that's a myth. Their offense included Johnathan Ogden, Shannon Sharpe, Jamal Lewis, Priest Holmes, a veteran QB, and their kicker, Matt Stover, when to the Pro Bowl that year. Teams win Super Bowls. Not one side of the ball. Stop oversimplifying.

Why do people need to pretend NFL teams win with offense or defense. NFL teams win by being a good all around team. Even the great defensive teams had good players on offense, and vice versa. Remember the Ravens team that supposedly won it all because of their defense? Yeah, that's a myth. Their offense included Johnathan Ogden, Shannon Sharpe, Jamal Lewis, Priest Holmes, a veteran QB, and their kicker, Matt Stover, when to the Pro Bowl that year. Teams win Super Bowls. Not one side of the ball. Stop oversimplifying.

gotta agree.

At this point we don't even know if Shane Ray is any good, so all this crowing about drafting and drafting more pass rushers could all be for naught.

What we do know is Denver has been on a good roll of drafting lots of good players, period. After the disastrous draft of 2009, in 2010 they got Demaryius Thomas, Zane Beadles (not re-signed but helps the compensatory pick formula), and Eric Decker (not re-signed but helps the compensatory pick formula); in 2011 they got Von Miller, Rahim Moore (not re-signed but helps the compensatory pick formula), Orlando Franklin (not re-signed but helps the compensatory pick formula), and Julius Thomas (not re-signed but helps the compensatory pick formula) and just for kicks signed Chris Harris as an undrafted free agent; in 2012 they got Derek Wolfe, Brock Osweiler, Malik Jackson, and Danny Trevathan despite not having a 1st round pick.

That's a killer 3-year run. The players they deemed not even good enough to re-sign are better than the best players the Falcons picked.

Edited by Summerhill

At this point we don't even know if Shane Ray is any good, so all this crowing about drafting and drafting more pass rushers could all be for naught.

What we do know is Denver has been on a good roll of drafting lots of good players, period. After the disastrous draft of 2009, in 2010 they got Demaryius Thomas, Zane Beadles (not re-signed but helps the compensatory pick formula), and Eric Decker (not re-signed but helps the compensatory pick formula); in 2011 they got Von Miller, Rahim Moore (not re-signed but helps the compensatory pick formula), Orlando Franklin (not re-signed but helps the compensatory pick formula), and Julius Thomas (not re-signed but helps the compensatory pick formula) and just for kicks signed Chris Harris as an undrafted free agent; in 2012 they got Derek Wolfe, Brock Osweiler, Malik Jackson, and Danny Trevathan despite not having a 1st round pick.

That's a killer 3-year run. The players they deemed not even good enough to re-sign are better than the best players the Falcons picked.

On top of that, Broncos are one of the few teams that have benefitted from free agency - adding:

DeMarcus Ware

Aquib Talib

TJ Ward

Broncos defense is amazing but had not Toussaint fumbled last week, the Broncos would be sitting at the house. The Broncos defense barely got by the Steelers who was playing without, Brown, Bell, Williams, and Big Ben had one shoulder. No matter who is in SB, there would be a "we should be like x team" thread. Happens every year.

Explain the significant differences

Seattle built from the defensive back-end down through the front 7. In 2010 they drafted Thomas, Thurmond and Chancellor. In 2011 they drafted Sherman Maxwell and Wright. Bobby Wagner in 2012. With that growing defense, they added a value QB who dropped for no real reason, traded for a "premier" RB. When they only made it to Atlanta, they supplemented their pass rush with prove it deals in free agency. That paid off so they retained those pass rushers. They've been rolling it that way ever since.

Carolina was essentially a two man build.....Cam on the offense, Luke on the defense. Carolina started pouring assets into the defense with a major focus on the Front 7. This as the OL eroded and Cam's skill position players fell apart. They made it work with from the front of the defense to the back and then decided that they could get by with "meh" OL talent if they played a ton of heavy set stuff on offense. Its worked very well.

Both successful programs but I don't think the way they got there was that similar. Maybe you could argue they both invested in the defense rather than the offense but I don't really think that works when you look at what Seattle has done investing picks and dollars into the offense (Tate, Rice, Miller, Lynch, Percy, Graham). Seattle has been a "complete" build with major assets being invested in nearly every spot on the team. Carolina has been pouring high-value assets into the Front 7 with the occasional splurge at WR.

If I ran the team I would have people who talk out their tailpipe banned from the message boards. The only RB I've campaigned for was 2015 OROTY Todd Gurley. The Falcons ended up drafting Tevin Coleman instead, so they were obviously going to take a RB, one way or another. And if you want to argue that good teams don't draft RBs in the first round, Johnathan Stewart was drafted 13th overall.

We needed to draft a RB because we didn't have any on the roster before the season started. You were talking about bringing in another RB just days ago. See below

RB is always a position that can quickly become a weakness for any team, due to frequency of injuries. How are you feeling about where the Falcons sit at RB overall? Are you convinced Coleman can be a valuable piece of the offense? Is Terron Ward good enough to take on a major role if Freeman and/or Coleman get hurt? Should the Falcons bring in someone to compete with Coleman and Ward? If so, what would you be willing to invest to bring in another quality RB?

I don't think anyone is saying just focus on the defense but we have Devonta Freeman, Julio Jones and as an alternate Patrick Dimarco going to the pro bowl. On defense we only have Trufant going to the Pro Bowl as an alternate. Our bread and butter currently resides on the offensive side of the ball and even the "Greatest show on turf" only won one Superbowl as great as that team was. I don't think San Francisco kept Gabbert from playing because they were worried he'd have to keep up in points. They started Gabbert against our defense because they knew he'd be ok. Now i'm only talking about skill players on offense because we need to improve the interior OL in a huge way.

The Falcons are not going to enter training camp with only 3 RBs. No team does that. I was talking about bringing in a RB to compete for carries behind Freeman. I never said they need to make a significant investment in one. Bringing in more than 3 RBs to training camp is not fantasy football. That's what they do in the NFL. Some teams even keep 4 RBs on their active roster. I thought you were saying I was campaigning to make a major investment in a RB.