Matt Ryan Passed On For Derek Carr In Pro Bowl

The Rock

I do wonder if they give guys a call to gauge interest. A lot of the elite guys they passed on are banged up. Perhaps Carr was the first to say yes. But then again these guys have huge pro bowl bonuses so probably not

But yes. He deserved it more than Ryan anyway

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matt Ryan was passed on for Derek Carr in the 2016 pro bowl. Carr replaces Rodgers who withdrew due to ailments. This was interesting because Ryan is a 8 year veteran and Carr is in his 2nd year. While Carr had to deal with a new system too and lacked pro bowl talent around him, he still got named to the pro bowl over Ryan.

Thoughts?

My thoughts: Aaron Rodgers is a ***** and should never skip this opportunity.

(This is the exact post that would have happened if Ryan made the same decision to not play)

Carr had a good year. Statistically, this was Matt's 2nd worst year since his rookie season. I don't have any problem with this. Anybody that says Matt had a good year is lying to themselves. He struggled with Shanahan's offense. That doesn't mean Matt is not a good QB. I think he's a very good QB.

Any QB that puts up 4500 yards with a 66.3% completion rate in a down season is a great QB. No question. His lack of TD's and increase in INT's made it a down season, and a lot of that was due to being out of sync on occasion and it resulting in costly mistakes.

http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/football/pff-falcons-had-4th-best-offensive-line-in-the-nfl/np8tP/?icmp=ajc_internallink_referralbox_free-to-premium-referral

PFF: Falcons had 4th best offensive line in the NFL

Posted: 8:33 a.m. Thursday, Jan. 21, 2016

Email 0Facebook 0Twitter 3ShareThis 3

By D. Orlando Ledbetter - The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

FLOWERY BRANCH – Falcons coach Dan Quinn stated that improving the offensive line would be a huge emphasis this offseason.

Despite that the Falcons were pushed around by some of the more powerful defensive fronts in the league like Washington and Carolina, the offensive line, which was cobbled together right at the start of the season, was ranked the fourth best unit in the NFL by profootballfocus.com.

091415 ATLANTA: Falcons offensive lineman Ryan Schraeder signals the touchdown as Julio Jones scores against the Eagles during the second quarter ... Read More

The unit had problems in power situations and led to a decision not to go-for-it on a fourth-and-1 at San Francisco.

The unit did a good job coming together in the outside zone blocking scheme and paved the way for running back Devonta Freeman to rush for more 1,056 yards and 11 rushing touchdowns.

The Falcons also gave up 32 sacks and 89 quarterback hits.

Here’s what profootballfocus.com had to say about the Falcons about the offensive line, which was ranked 26th last season:

“4. Atlanta Falcons (26th)

“Pass-blocking rank: 6th

“Run-blocking rank: 8th

“Penalties rank: 3rd

“Stud: One of the more unheralded players in the league, Ryan Schraeder is the kind of right tackle you don’t realize is as good as he is. A really solid player, you rarely notice him—which is a great thing at his spot.

“Dud: The team lost faith in him eventually, with Mike Person’s continual problems snapping the ball playing a pivotal role in the Falcons’ second half collapse.

“Summary: On paper, this line didn’t inspire confidence, but when you get guys doing what they’re good at, positive things happen. The introduction of Andy Levitre and Chris Chester, as well as the commitment to a zone-based scheme, worked from day one, with their work in the run game excellent. Are they a little lightweight against more powerful defenders? Yes. Are they much better than anyone expected? Definitely.”

The Dallas Cowboys were the No. 1 ranked offensive line.

Here are the rankings for the teams in the NFC and AFC championship games: Carolina (second), Arizona (17th), Denver (tied 20th) and New England (25th).

Well for what it's worth, they also passed on...

Payton Manning

Drew Brees

Eli Manning

Philip Rivers

Matt Stafford

Kirk Cousins

Jay Cutler

Alex Smith

Tyrod Taylor

Andy Dalton

Teddy Bridgewater

Ryan Tannehill

Blake Bortles

Marcus Mariota

Jameis Winston

Ryan Fitzpatrick

Joe Flacco

Brian Hoyer

etc.

etc.

etc.

Carr had a solid season, and is developing into one of the better young QBs in the NFL, but I'm not sure he was the most deserving this year.

I have no issue with him getting the nod over Ryan. Ryan did not have his best season. Although he was still 5th in yards, 6th in completion % (w/ min. 200 passing att), and 6th in YPG, the low TD #'s & costly INTs (plus a couple fumbles) really kept this from being a great season.

However, guys like Brees, Cousins, Dalton, Stafford, Rivers, Smith, Eli, and Taylor had better (far better in some cases) seasons this year than Carr, and were thus more deserving IMO.

End thread

He had a better season than Ryan, Way more TD's and a better passer rating. Ryan did not have a great season. His yards look nice but that is because we were always trailing late in games and were throwing in garbage yardage.

I get alot of Fairweather fans stopped watching games, but if you watched these games we were in all of em those are struggle yards lol not garbage yards

As someone mentioned already, this is because this is considered a "down" year for Matt and a really good year for Carr. Carr's TD/INT ratio is the only thing better than Ryan. If it were the other way around, and Carr threw 4600 yards with 66% completion percentage, this wouldn't even have been a talking point because he would have been chosen the first time around.

That being said, I'm sure if Ryan had the same amount of INTs, but they were thrown in different situations, i.e. not with the game on the line or in the redzone, I bet he still gets it over Carr. Unfortunately I don't blame whoever makes that decision. Ryan played poorly at times, but I still think he played better than people want to credit him for at other times. He's our QB for at least 3 more seasons boys, no use fighting about it.

As someone mentioned already, this is because this is considered a "down" year for Matt and a really good year for Carr. Carr's TD/INT ratio is the only thing better than Ryan. If it were the other way around, and Carr threw 4600 yards with 66% completion percentage, this wouldn't even have been a talking point because he would have been chosen the first time around.

That being said, I'm sure if Ryan had the same amount of INTs, but they were thrown in different situations, i.e. not with the game on the line or in the redzone, I bet he still gets it over Carr. Unfortunately I don't blame whoever makes that decision. Ryan played poorly at times, but I still think he played better than people want to credit him for at other times. He's our QB for at least 3 more seasons boys, no use fighting about it.

good luck with that. there is a faction on here that can not make it through the day with out complaining about something/everything.

Matt Ryan was passed on for Derek Carr in the 2016 pro bowl. Carr replaces Rodgers who withdrew due to ailments. This was interesting because Ryan is a 8 year veteran and Carr is in his 2nd year. While Carr had to deal with a new system too and lacked pro bowl talent around him, he still got named to the pro bowl over Ryan.

Thoughts?

Man really? You may as well say Peyton Manning got snubbed because he's a 16 year vet and has been to three Super Bowls and won league MVP a record five times.

Carr played better than Ryan this season. Get over it.

Edited by JerseyNo12