What Would Be A Reasonable Return If We Trade Down From 17 In The First

Begotten912

You don't take a guard or center that high in the 1st. I hope to shore the OL/DL in FA and go LB in the 1st and WR/SS in the 2nd and 3rd.

While I'm definitely hoping to shore up the o-line in free agency, I don't understand the mentality of avoiding certain positions. If there's a chance to get a truly dominant guard with the #17 pick, why wouldn't you get him? If he's the highest-rated player on your board and you have at least some need at the position, it's just good sense to grab the player and improve your team.

Back when there was so much money dedicated to first round picks, avoiding positions that didn't have a financial premium on them (like guard and center) made sense. But now that the picks are slotted from a compensation standpoint, go with the talent. If the next Steve Hutchinson is available at our pick, I freaking want that guy so he can open massive running lanes for Freeman and Coleman for years.

While I'm definitely hoping to shore up the o-line in free agency, I don't understand the mentality of avoiding certain positions. If there's a chance to get a truly dominant guard with the #17 pick, why wouldn't you get him? If he's the highest-rated player on your board and you have at least some need at the position, it's just good sense to grab the player and improve your team.

Back when there was so much money dedicated to first round picks, avoiding positions that didn't have a financial premium on them (like guard and center) made sense. But now that the picks are slotted from a compensation standpoint, go with the talent. If the next Steve Hutchinson is available at our pick, I freaking want that guy so he can open massive running lanes for Freeman and Coleman for years.

I think the ghost of PETER KONZ still haunts board members. That pick set us back. Glad Ryan Schraeder panned out or the Holmes and Konz pick would have killed us. Still wished we didn't trade Hawley, but I guess I get it.

I agree getting a dominant player at a non-premium position in the second half of the 1st round is a good thing.

The problem with those kinds of picks is the margin of error. If you don't get a dominant guard, center, nose tackle, strong safety or something like that, there is just not very much reward for getting the #12 player at his position over his career. You can probably buy that player as a free agent for $3-4 million per year. Conversely if you pick the #12 wide receiver, defensive end, or cornerback, he's still a very valuable player and going to be highly paid.

For reference, here are some recent trades that have taken place in that range and map clearest to a pick for picks trade.

Arizona trades 20 to New Orleans for 27 and 91

Philadelphia trades 22 to Cleveland for 26 and 83

Dallas trades 18 to SF for 31 and 74

Cincinnati trades 21 to New England for 27 and 93

So I'd guess we could snag a top 85 pick for a drop to the mid-20s, give or take.

For reference, here are some recent trades that have taken place in that range and map clearest to a pick for picks trade.

Arizona trades 20 to New Orleans for 27 and 91

Philadelphia trades 22 to Cleveland for 26 and 83

Dallas trades 18 to SF for 31 and 74

Cincinnati trades 21 to New England for 27 and 93

So I'd guess we could snag a top 85 pick for a drop to the mid-20s, give or take.

The Birds would have to hit on both picks to do a deal of such, but this has some value.

Here's the thing I think Ragland, Lawson, smith will all be gone. Also I think we pick to late in the 2nd to get the ss from duke. If we could work a deal to trade back some and take beckwith but gain enough to trade up some to get cash so we met with our first two picks mlb beckwith and ss cash would that be a good first two rounds? I think so

At #17 there is a great chance that we can get the #1 center or guard in the draft...stay put and draft your guys. If we decide to go middle linebacker....we would get good value as well, but probably the #2 or #3 linebacker in the draft

!st is not the place to get a staring center/guard. We need to address that in FA. It takes time to become good in those postions.

You just suggested a DE. It's well documented that DE's take plenty of time to develop.

Don't agree. Beasley is under sized and got four sacks and much pressure as a rook, without much help from the other side. I think Dodd could compliment him well coming from the other side.

takes time to be good at ANY position in the Nfl....guess you havent noticed that....De, Qb, Wr, Ot, Lb....i think jim brown may have been the last rookie that was MVP

I sincerely doubt we get a MVP @ 17. We do need an impact player there. Even as highly touted as Mathews was he didn't get really good until yr 3. We need another good DE to balance out our rush. Jmo but this Dodd kid is explosive, Something we need.

You can get more than you think if a team needs to jump to get to our spot and they are targeting a certain player. Basically, it means we just have to wade through the offers. I say we have a good chance of moving back and getting either a DE or ILB we need later in the 1st and possibly picking up two more picks depending on how bad a team wants to jump to 17.

Archived