What Would Be A Reasonable Return If We Trade Down From 17 In The First

Begotten912

In the event that there are no clear impact players when we come up at 17, and knowing we currently only have 5 picks going into the draft and that Quinn will need as many chances as possible to bring in his kind of players, what would be an acceptable trade?

Not a likely scenario, at least in terms of no clear impact players...one of the few good things about having a number of holes on your roster. Its supposed to be a deep draft for LB, which is one of our more glaring needs. Even if theres a run on LB, we can go with a top prospect in another position of need. We packaged our 3rd i believe to get Tru and i believe we only moved up 6 or 7 spots if i remember right. So theoretically we could probably get a 3rd if we went back to #23 or thereabouts. Wouldnt be a bad idea but the obvious caveat is having another team interested in moving up to that spot.

Archer said last week on 92.9 the game that if we traded back to 27 that would get us another 2nd rd pick. If true that would be nice. So it depends on how far down we go.

Arch is correct per the trade chart - we would need to drop about 10 spots to pick up a 2nd round pick - anything less than that, would probably only net us a 3rd.

I think it depends on what we want out of the draft. If they think a solid impact LB or DE or TE or whatever is going to be more productive than a couple of 2nd rounders, they probably stand pat. If they think a player will slide to the mid-20s who will give us equal impact to whoever we get at 17, then the trade back makes more sense.

If there was a year we should consider trading back, this is probably that year. But I'm not convinced we will. There is a lot to be said for letting the draft fall to you, especially when you have limited picks. Fix the bigger holes (OG, LB) in FA and then take the best players you have left on the board.

The one good thing about the Falcons roster is they are pretty set at the premium positions that usually require high draft picks with Ryan, Jones, Matthews, Truffant, and hopefully Beasley. The Falcons have a lot of holes at non-premium positions that can often be filled with really good players from the 2nd and 3rd rounds, so if the team can get more of those types of picks, the better.

The one good thing about the Falcons roster is they are pretty set at the premium positions that usually require high draft picks with Ryan, Jones, Matthews, Truffant, and hopefully Beasley. The Falcons have a lot of holes at non-premium positions that can often be filled with really good players from the 2nd and 3rd rounds, so if the team can get more of those types of picks, the better.

Agreed. Falcons most dire needs right now are Center, Offensive Guard (right or left) and linebacker/passrusher.

I would like to see Falcons address each of those in a meaningful way in free agency - so we can let the draft come to us and pusue either strategy (stay put or trade-down).

I also like the option of being able to select Jaylon Smith and redshirt him, if necessary. I am not married to that pick and much would be determined by Falcon doctors and prognosis for full recovery. If we went this route, I would probably want to trade down from #17 to mitigate some of the risk.

Also, I believe a trade down likely a good idea for a few other reasons - unless serious talent drops to us unexpectedly, I see the talent flattening out from about picks #13-40 (not precise) so if we could trade down 5-10 spots that should yield us a 2nd or 3rd rd pick which is a valuable 2nd day pick - that would be a great move as long as we hit on the 1st rounder.

In the event that there are no clear impact players when we come up at 17, and knowing we currently only have 5 picks going into the draft and that Quinn will need as many chances as possible to bring in his kind of players, what would be an acceptable trade?

Well... Depending on your definition of "Impact Player" you "will" still have a bunch of players that can make an impact on this team 17 all the to at least midway of the second round.

Now this makes trading back not such a bad idea... IF the fellas you had targeted are all gone(like the top two out of your first five) trading back about 8 spots can be beneficial as you will still yield you the same grade of player you would have gotten at 17.

However.... IF the picks go the other way where you have a guy still out there that you LOVE in which you thought you had no shot at then you STAY and Pick!

The draft is a living breathing beast and you must approach it in that way and remain flexible.

Tough to do this in a vacuum. It ultimately rests on the player being sought by the team trading up.

Right. Plus, it's not "if this, then that." It's "if this, this, this, this and maybe this, then that, or possibly that, or maybe yet again, that." It's WAY more fluid than "stand pat" or "trade back" or "trade up."

If we have a chance to get the right guy, even in a draft with only 5 picks, trade a pick to go get him. I'd rather stand pat or trade back most of the time, but let's say the ONE guy everyone agrees is THE guy is sitting there at 15, but we think no. 16 is going to take him. You make that trade to go get him. The problem is, 15 might not want to trade, or 16 might also try to trade up, etc. You just can't say "if this, then that" with the draft. There are way too many moving parts.

As far as trading back? 17 is so low that you don't have get much value in return....unless we trade out of the first completely...according to the draft value chart, if we go back to 27 or 28 we get a #2 in return.....if you feel like you can still get that center or guard at 27, then you try to move back to pick up that late #2 to fill gaps like at safety and linebacker

If we traded back to the very end of the 1st and picked up an extra 2nd in return I wouldn't mind if we went ahead and snatched up TE Hunter Henry. This offense places an emphasis on strong TE play. Tamme is good enough to get by, but not special at all.

That being said, we need to hit interior OL and LB hard in free agency for me to get on board with this, but I think we do.

Tough to do this in a vacuum. It ultimately rests on the player being sought by the team trading up.

of course - but it is like a kid at Christmas - you know we cannot wait until draft week to start talking about this - draft is only about 3 1/2 months away - good gawd that is a loooooooong time from now.

I believe almost every team has an offer or three to move up or down - I am sure a lot of the offers are poor and don't meet the needs of the team on the clock - but offers are there to be made.

Here is hoping if Falcons are not thrilled w/ who is available at #17, they find a suitable offer to move down.

At #17 there is a great chance that we can get the #1 center or guard in the draft...stay put and draft your guys. If we decide to go middle linebacker....we would get good value as well, but probably the #2 or #3 linebacker in the draft

You don't take a guard or center that high in the 1st. I hope to shore the OL/DL in FA and go LB in the 1st and WR/SS in the 2nd and 3rd.

At #17 there is a great chance that we can get the #1 center or guard in the draft...stay put and draft your guys. If we decide to go middle linebacker....we would get good value as well, but probably the #2 or #3 linebacker in the draft

Its a fact that the highest rated center will be there at 17 lol ok maybe not a fact... Alex Mack went in the 20's Nick Mangold went late 20's. I like to see who the highest drafted center went, but in todays league the center postilion is valued but comes after the flashy positions. Would I take a center at 17? no! Would I take a center in the mid to late 20's? I'd def kick the tires about it, but still probably no- unless he had the same make-up as the two guys I mentioned before.

Archived