Ryan's Falcons Give Up 31.6 Ppg In Nfl Playoffs

knomercy

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We almost won the SB in 2012? I mustve missed that game..:bang:

That leap of logic escapes me too. Did the 49ers beat the Ravens by 30??? Pretty strong to assume we were just going to push Baltimore out of the way after winning the NFC.

Same thing goes for 1980. Does anyone remember that Dallas lost to Philadelphia the following week? And that Philly lost to the Raiders in the Super Bowl?? As much as we all fondly remember the '80 Falcons, in a lot of ways they looked more like a 9 or 10 win team that got on a roll late. They won something like 9 straight and a couple of those wins they literally yanked out of their a** at the very end

Edited by Ghosts of Glanville

Sf game both turnovers were in our territory. Didn't hurt our d. Sucks though.

Also Giants killed Ryan in the pocket. Same as Brady. Why Giants won SB.

So throwing a pick which after doing so the defense comes out and gets you the ball back so you can fumble the ball way on the very next possession does not hurt the defense?

Edited by insight

Wilson's Seahawks gave up 13.3 PPG in his Super Bowl winning run, but 29 PPG in playoff losses.

Manning's Colts gave up 16.2 PPG in his Super Bowl winning run, but 32 PPG in playoff losses.

Rodgers' Packers gave up 19 PPG in his Super Bowl winning run, but 42 PPG in playoff losses.

Brees' Saints gave up 19.6 PPG in his Super Bowl winning run, but 31 PPG in playoff losses.

Eli's Giants gave up 14 PPG and 16.2 PPG respectively in his two Super Bowl winning runs, but 23 PPG in playoff losses.

Flacco's Ravens gave up 22 PPG in his Super Bowl winning run, but 26.4 PPG in playoff losses.

You don't have to be a super genius to see where this is going.

If a Falcons defense put up a playoff showing like ANY of the so called "Elite Quarterbacks" teams did in their Super Bowl winning years, Matt Ryan might have multiple rings.

Numbers don't lie -- and mediocre defenses don't win championships, no matter how "elite" your QB is.

So the next time you low-football-IQ folks start carrying on about how terrible Matt Ryan is & how he needs to "step it up" & "carry this team" -- feel free to point to all the other Super Bowl winning QB's who's teams gave up 31.6 PPG on their way to championships so us rational people can have a belly laugh at your expense.

Dude that was a **** nice try and you are correct, but you have to realize haters gonna hate.

So throwing a pick which after doing so the defense comes out and gets you the ball back so you can fumble the ball way on the very next possession does not hurt the defense?

Sure it does. It's a chicken and egg thing. Does Ryan turn the ball over too often? Sure, can't argue that. So did Brett Favre. But at the same time Ryan sometimes forces stuff because he's trying to make up for the defense's failure to hold a lead.

The 2010 playoff game is a perfect example. We were hanging in there early on, but then GB started rolling through our defense, Ryan tried to make something happen before halftime, threw a god-awful pick-6 right to Williams, and that was that.

And sometimes Ryan's errors put the defense in a hole. I'm not here to make Matt Ryan look like some sort of QB god, just trying to point out that on the big picture, viewed over an entire career arc, he's pretty freaking good

Edited by Ghosts of Glanville

Sure it does. It's a chicken and egg thing. Does Ryan turn the ball over too often? Sure, can't argue that. So did Brett Favre. But at the same time Ryan sometimes forces stuff because he's trying to make up for the defense's failure to hold a lead.

The 2010 playoff game is a perfect example. We were hanging in there early on, but then GB started rolling through our defense, Ryan tried to make something happen before halftime, threw a god-awful pick-6 right to Williams, and that was that.

And sometimes Ryan's errors put the defense in a hole. I'm not here to make Matt Ryan look like some sort of QB god, just trying to point out that on the big picture, viewed over an entire career arc, he's pretty freaking good

All valid points that I agree with you. Matt is a very good QB, but let's acknowledge his weaknesses and build a team around him that hides his weaknesses and highlights his strengths.

The defense has taking a step forward but Ryan will continue to be a turn over machine until you provide him with a above average pass blocking offensive line.

Maybe Matt is too committed to be a company guy because I don't really see allot of leadership in the pursuit for greatness. Not saying he doesn't work hard but he looks pretty content with that 100 million dollar contract and 1 playoff win.

Edited by insight

Wilson's Seahawks gave up 13.3 PPG in his Super Bowl winning run, but 29 PPG in playoff losses.

Manning's Colts gave up 16.2 PPG in his Super Bowl winning run, but 32 PPG in playoff losses.

Rodgers' Packers gave up 19 PPG in his Super Bowl winning run, but 42 PPG in playoff losses.

Brees' Saints gave up 19.6 PPG in his Super Bowl winning run, but 31 PPG in playoff losses.

Eli's Giants gave up 14 PPG and 16.2 PPG respectively in his two Super Bowl winning runs, but 23 PPG in playoff losses.

Flacco's Ravens gave up 22 PPG in his Super Bowl winning run, but 26.4 PPG in playoff losses.

You don't have to be a super genius to see where this is going.

If a Falcons defense put up a playoff showing like ANY of the so called "Elite Quarterbacks" teams did in their Super Bowl winning years, Matt Ryan might have multiple rings.

Numbers don't lie -- and mediocre defenses don't win championships, no matter how "elite" your QB is.

So the next time you low-football-IQ folks start carrying on about how terrible Matt Ryan is & how he needs to "step it up" & "carry this team" -- feel free to point to all the other Super Bowl winning QB's who's teams gave up 31.6 PPG on their way to championships so us rational people can have a belly laugh at your expense.

First off, Ryan was never ever elite. Not ever. 2nd, one of the reasons the defense did so bad, was because Ryan couldn't keep the offense on the field. You know, a bunch of 3 and outs. Every great defense has an offense that can control the clock. They might not get a bunch of points, but so long as they have the ball, it gives the D time to catch their collective breath. It works wonders keeping the stamina for the D.

There is a reason why the team kept of giving up points in the 2nd half. The defense was exhausted.

Even though Ryan did terrible this year getting in the endzone, the one postive, is unlike past years, he was able to keep the offense on the field much longer, and thus opposing offenses had less time to pick up yards and points against the Falcons D. It is probably why Quinn will not give up on Shanahan, who can create a great running offense. If you noticed, the Falcons got more wins, even with Smitty, when they controlled time of possession.

First off, Ryan was never ever elite. Not ever. 2nd, one of the reasons the defense did so bad, was because Ryan couldn't keep the offense on the field. You know, a bunch of 3 and outs. Every great defense has an offense that can control the clock. They might not get a bunch of points, but so long as they have the ball, it gives the D time to catch their collective breath. It works wonders keeping the stamina for the D.

There is a reason why the team kept of giving up points in the 2nd half. The defense was exhausted.

Even though Ryan did terrible this year getting in the endzone, the one postive, is unlike past years, he was able to keep the offense on the field much longer, and thus opposing offenses had less time to pick up yards and points against the Falcons D. It is probably why Quinn will not give up on Shanahan, who can create a great running offense. If you noticed, the Falcons got more wins, even with Smitty, when they controlled time of possession.

In your own words:

1 - one of the reasons the defense did so bad, was because Ryan couldn't keep the offense on the field.

2 - Every great defense has an offense that can control the clock.

3 - unlike past years, he was able to keep the offense on the field much longer,

4 - It is probably why Quinn will not give up on Shanahan, who can create a great running offense

5 - the Falcons got more wins, even with Smitty, when they controlled time of possession

How do you control TOP? A successful rushing attack.

So, come again? RYAN alone couldn't keep the offense on the field?

I don't really care about notch Ryan is above or below. Show me a playoff game where a team has won when they are giving up more than 5 yards per rushing attempt, while not be able to run the ball effectively. Hard to protect a lead when your teamis getting pushed around on both lines of scrimmage.

Ryan was getting absolutely no help from anyone in that game. The defense allowed the 49ers to run the ball and score at will the second half, our defense collapsed, our running game was shut completely down after losing Michael Turner and the pass protection was horrible.

These guys are just Ryan haters that ignore all this and point to a single quarter of play as if that means anything ( it was a 4 quarter game) and ignore the fact Ryan was forced to try and score every single time we got the ball or lose the game. Yes, when your defense can't stop anyone your offense has to score. When your running game is shut down, you HAVE to pass the ball and the defense knows you have to pass the ball and tee off on the QB every snap.

The idea that an interception or fumble happened with 3 TD passes means the QB lost the game is preposterous, unless you are a Ryan hater, then it makes perfect sense.

I honestly feel Matt plays tight in the playoffs. He plays not to lose therefore makes a lot of bad decisions with the football. Matt needs to just play loose and have fun. I think this year was a fluke with the turnovers. I agree he doesn't have the arm to throw it seventy yards on a rope but there is twenty other teams in this league that wish they had him. Matt has done more good to this team than bad. I remember how unstable this team was back when he was drafted. I think the new offense was too much this year . I think he plays better next year(only time will tell) but lets see if he plays better next year. With that being said, I say we still draft D. Watson next year to be the next franchise QB.

I honestly feel Matt plays tight in the playoffs. He plays not to lose therefore makes a lot of bad decisions with the football. Matt needs to just play loose and have fun. I think this year was a fluke with the turnovers. I agree he doesn't have the arm to throw it seventy yards on a rope but there is twenty other teams in this league that wish they had him. Matt has done more good to this team than bad. I remember how unstable this team was back when he was drafted. I think the new offense was too much this year . I think he plays better next year(only time will tell) but lets see if he plays better next year. With that being said, I say we still draft D. Watson next year to be the next franchise QB.

I would kill to see you line up behind the Falcons offensive line with no running game against that nasty 49ers defense and "play loose". If you lived through the game, intensive care would be the minimum situation within a few snaps.

It's astonishing to me what people think a QB is supposed to do in the same exact situation where the wheels are falling off all around you, in every single area, and you STILL MANAGE to throw 3 TD passes.

You know how many teams can say that? lol...

Yeah, teams that are good enough to get into the superbowl, teams that SHOULD have won the conference championship (and if you don't believe we should have won that game, you obviously weren't watching)

Everyone brings up the turnovers but no one brings up the fact that we had no run game, we had to pass the ball in order to chew clock. The 9ers knew that, and it lost the game.

Yeah, teams that are good enough to get into the superbowl, teams that SHOULD have won the conference championship (and if you don't believe we should have won that game, you obviously weren't watching)

Everyone brings up the turnovers but no one brings up the fact that we had no run game, we had to pass the ball in order to chew clock. The 9ers knew that, and it lost the game.

I blame that loss on Mike Smith and his conservative ***. Run run pass in the 2nd half. It almost cost us the game vs the Seahawks and it's what cost us the game vs the 49ers. Same thing the Panthers did this past week. No idea why teams do that.

Championship(s)?

Huh?

Ryan has played well for the Falcons. He's had some clutch plays and has been solid ......at times.

......but this past season, Ryan regressed.

You can blame it on drops, routes, play-calling, center exchange, blocking, coaching, etc. if you want.....but Matty Ice needs to step up his game if you want to talk championship.