Falcons Dump Lionel Vital (Player Personnel Director)

RYNE

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was Vital who had the most important guy to TD in Draft's and F A before TD brought in Scott Pioli. T D has often mentioned Vital was the greatest eyes for talent. I didn't see it nor did it translate into a talented roster. It was Vital's leadership to go out and get the data to feed to TD. Now by no means am I blaming it all on Vital BUT he was a powerful voice in Scouting FA's and the Draft. Hopefully we get a different set of eyes and views in our drafting department.

The NFL is a brutal business. For all we know this Vital guy was excellent at performing the job he was asked to do. Every year teams fire people just for the sake of firing people. I was unaware this guy has been with us since 2008. Vital has been with us for the greatest stretch in Falcons history, and for that, I thank him and wish him the best in his endeavors moving forward. Here's also hoping that we replace him with a guy that will have a positive influence on our team in the future.

So Dimitroff was Director of Scouting for the Patriots, if i recall.... and he fires the guy he hired to be Director of Scouting? Makes sense....

Director of player personnel is usually in charge of current NFL guys such as upcoming free agents about to hit the market and current players on the roster director of scouting is its own position

I'm not saying TD should have kept his job but in my opinion replacing the personnel & scouting departments will bring quicker results as they are the ones feeding evaluations/reports to DQ. I'd rather have people he trust than the ones TD trusted and hired. LV was just the 1st of many to come more than likely.

http://atlantafalcons.blog.ajc.com/2016/01/17/falcons-parting-ways-with-vital/

“I just felt, we felt that it would just be fairer for the new guy, who is going to be doing that duty, to deal with fresh people,” Vital told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Sunday. “I don’t want to be staring at him and I don’t want him staring at me. I think it works out for both parties. The Falcons have been good to me. That’s how I want to leave it.”

Vital had been deciding on whether to take a demotion over the past week.

“I don’t want to burn any bridges,” Vital said. “Nobody is mad. It’s just time for this organization to do some things on the personnel side. That’s where we are.”

The Falcons are expected to add some veteran personnel men and will likely shuffle around some of the younger scouts. The entire personnel department is being evaluated.

“When you don’t win, things happen like this and you have to shake it up,” Vital said.

I remember before the season a report said Quinn wanted one of his guys in the FO .... It looks like thats whats happening

http://atlantafalcons.blog.ajc.com/2016/01/17/falcons-parting-ways-with-vital/

I remember before the season a report said Quinn wanted one of his guys in the FO .... It looks like thats whats happening

Heard surprising rumor that Falcons HC D. Quinn is leaning towards bringing in his own personnel man after season. Odd timing to hear this!

Yep. Looks like this rumor had some truth to it.