Hoping Smitty Gets The Titans Job

Miller2Rison

I've got nothing against Smitty, but if I was going to hire a new HC in this era of the NFL, it would be Mike Smith.

I assume you mean you would NOT hire Mike Smith, but that's the point. Does he fit the cutting edge required to win a Super Bowl? No, but those coaches don't come around often because they're busy winning Super Bowls. If you're realistic and say, I want to take my team from a joke to a playoff contender to make my team more attractive for that cutting edge coach when they come available, he's perfect.

I assume you mean you would NOT hire Mike Smith, but that's the point. Does he fit the cutting edge required to win a Super Bowl? No, but those coaches don't come around often because they're busy winning Super Bowls. If you're realistic and say, I want to take my team from a joke to a playoff contender to make my team more attractive for that cutting edge coach when they come available, he's perfect.

You're right, I meant wouldn't.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports ex-Falcons coach Mike Smith has emerged as a "hot name" as a defensive coordinator.

Smith interviewed for several head-coaching vacancies over the past two weeks, particularly interviewing well with the Giants and Dolphins and then being in the mix for the Bucs job, but he lost out on all three. It wouldn't be a surprise to see him land in Tampa Bay on new coach Dirk Koetter's staff. Smith was the head coach in Atlanta when Koetter was the OC.

You're right! Smitty came in here in '08 and put out the "dumpster fire" we had going on, and I think he could do the same with Tennessee --- question is, what do you do with Mularkey? Could they co-exist, with Smitty as HC & Mularkey as his coordinator?

They prospered pretty well in that capacity here.

Mike Smith is expected to be the #Bucs new defensive coordinator, source said. Had several options, this was No. 1.

Per rapsheet

So we're going to have Koetter and Smitty vs Quinn and Shanahan. That has the makings of a rivalry to match Falcons/Stanks. I can see the ESPN slogan for that first big confrontation: "This time it's personal!"