If Falcons Stick At #17 Overall In 1St Round, Players I Am Interested In

g-dawg

JeiuCTI.jpg?1

jSZWefZ.png?1

Scouting Report: One of the best LBs available, Jack is a versatile defender who thrived at a multitude of spots at UCLA—including running back, where he tallied 11 touchdowns. The explosive defender has the makings of a field general thanks to his instincts and well-rounded skill set. One of Jack’s biggest strengths is his pass coverage: With the Bruins, he was able to effectively shadow opposing WRs and TEs thanks to natural athleticism, football I.Q. and the kind of aggressiveness that jumps out in the film room. Jack is currently rehabbing from an injury that’s sidelined him since Sept. 23, so it’ll be interesting to see how that affects his Combine results and, ultimately, his draft stock.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good analysis - agree with all of it.

Falcons don't need a RB but - I would not burn a high pick on Derrick Henry - even if we did. I don't see Henry being a star in the NFL. It takes him too long to really get going.

Another guy we all need to do more research on is "the Other" Clemson Defensive End - Kevin Dodd. Maybe he just had a choice match-up with a weak Bama Right Tackle - but he DOMINATED last night and we need to look into him if he comes out this year.

Liked the look of Watson the Clemson QB aswell has a lot of poise to me even when there was chaos and his team was down he W's the coolhead made great throws under pressure and his running is also a huge threat but liked that he can feel the pressure but hung in the pocket.

Henry to me is a1 trick pony he just tries to bulldoze people at the next level you got tohave multiple weapons to combat the stifling defenses he'll face.

I am going on record that I truly believe THIS YEAR is most definitely the year the Falcons need to adopt a Jimmy Johnson style of "trade down, trade down, trade down" - obviously you need one or more teams to tango and offer you fair trades to move down - if available, I believe that would be the best avenue. The Falcons need about 2 offseasons worth of talent but only have 5 draft picks and decent amount of cap money - but you cannot fix a team in free agency. Yes, the Falcons should go after a passrusher/cover backer like a Bruce Irvin and certainly should grab a Center in free agency to go along with a few lesser moves - but, we cannot spend all of our money as Trufant's new deal is coming up and two years away from Jake Matthews deal and those guys will need to be retained. Ok, there is the disclaimer.

Now, if the Falcons do not take my advice or are unable to execute a trade, then I wanted to list the players that COULD be available and should at least be considered - here are my top 7 (ranked in order) along with the chances I think they would be available at #17 - almost guaranteed that at least 1-2 of these guys would likely be available - one with character issue and one w/ injury issue figure to weigh heavily

Scouting reports were copy/pasted from CBS Sports (Rob Rang/Dane Bugler):

Myles-Jack.jpg

1) Myles Jack, OLB-UCLA 6'1", 245lbs (25% chance of availabilty at #17)

#5 overall prospect ranking - CBS

STRENGTHS: Even on a team full of NFL prospects, Jack's pure athleticism stands out. Compactly-built with good overall musculature, light feet, a fluid turning motion and natural ball-skills, he could make the full-time switch to running back and earn early-round consideration. Given his impact ability on defense, however, teams may hesitate to do that.

Jack is well-suited to today's pass-happy NFL as he combines rare agility and speed with awareness in coverage. He has the fluidity to cover backs and tight ends step for step and anticipates routes well, breaking free from his assignment to close quickly on the ball. Jack's ability in coverage make him ideally suited to playing outside in a 4-3 scheme, where his lack of ideal size is mitigated.

Jack's burst and agility make him an effective edge rusher and he doesn't shy from contact. He shows an explosive pop on contact to break free from would-be blockers. The hand-eye coordination that makes him so effective in breaking up passes shows up in his tackling, as well, as Jack is consistently able to trip up smaller, quicker ballcarriers. Breaks down well and wraps securely for the reliable take-down with little to no yardage allowed after contact.

WEAKNESSES: Lacks ideal size at linebacker. Does not possess ideal length and can get caught up in the wash. Not an explosive hitter. Will need to prove the health of his season-ending knee injury that required surgery and will be limited in his ability to impress scouts on the field during the pre-draft period.

IN OUR VIEW: Out of this game due to a knee injury suffered in September which required season-ending surgery, Jack nonetheless projects as a top 15 pick, boasting perhaps the country's-best combination of instincts and athleticism. Unprecedented as the Pac-12 Offensive and Defensive Freshman of the Year in 2013, Jack has the vision, agility and speed to star at running back if he wanted to return to that position but is even more valuable on the defensive side of the ball, where he's a true three-down linebacker and future Pro Bowler.

G-Dawg comment: Never comes off the field and is a playmaker - much needed.

My only issue with this guy is he's more of the same as far as hitting. I want some lb's that can both cover AND strike fear when they hit you. Our lb's seldom make crushing blows. Our dline hits hard and 3 of our safeties hit hard. None of our lb's hit the way I want lb's to hit. By crashing a runner. I like his coverage and rushing ability tho. For us to take this guy I'd like a hard hitting MLB. Typically WLB's aren't hard hitter like that so I'd like him but that MLB has to be squared away.

I lazily (and was called out on it by Bobby Digital) said the same thing about Jayron Kearse (6'4", 220lbs) - Clemson Safety. The more I researched him and watched him play last night - the less impressed I was with him.

So, I don't want to make the same mistake w/ Sua Cravins - I believe he is a better player than Kearse but I need to do more research before making a comparision to such a 'gold-standard' player like Kam Chancellor.

I suppose what I meant was that he's that hybrid safety/linebacker that Quinn is used to working with. It happens to be Chancellor in his old team.

Can somebody explain to me when "trading down repeatedly" has produced better results?

Because I can point straight to the Vikings, who traded up repeatedly into the back end of the first round and landed this haul over three years:

Matt Kalil

Harrison Smith

Sharrif Floyd

Xavier Rhodes

Cordarrelle Patterson

Anthony Barr

Teddy Bridgewater

Go get talent. Period. That's the name of the game.

My only issue with this guy is he's more of the same as far as hitting. I want some lb's that can both cover AND strike fear when they hit you. Our lb's seldom make crushing blows. Our dline hits hard and 3 of our safeties hit hard. None of our lb's hit the way I want lb's to hit. By crashing a runner. I like his coverage and rushing ability tho. For us to take this guy I'd like a hard hitting MLB. Typically WLB's aren't hard hitter like that so I'd like him but that MLB has to be squared away.

I've been saying this exact thing and people have thought I was crazy for saying it. I like Jack. A lot. But without a thumping MLB, he's Lavonte David: a good WLB who's impact is limited because he can be isolated and avoided.

I'm just not that interested in him - I know he is a good college player and will be a solid pro, but just don't think he is "special" - and if I am drafting a LB in the top 20, I want him to be special.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Ragland is there in the second because of this. You know what you're getting: a steady MLB who will plug the run and play decent coverage but won't be a game changer.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Ragland is there in the second because of this. You know what you're getting: a steady MLB who will plug the run and play decent coverage but won't be a game changer.

Well, if you watch the games...which you do. ROLL TIDE!!! Anyone can tell this is another throwback Saban loves. He's big, he hits hard, he can rush the passer, he can disrupt in coverage. He won't get the INT's, pick up a FF and run it in, or get 3 sacks. He will get 2 TFL in a game, 6-7 nasty and backbreaking tackles on RB's and receivers, at least one happy feet hit on the QB, and at least one game saving stop every three games.

If we can get him in the second...wow.

Thinking of a mini mock now. Check your email in a minute bro.

Well, if you watch the games...which you do. ROLL TIDE!!! Anyone can tell this is another throwback Saban loves. He's big, he hits hard, he can rush the passer, he can disrupt in coverage. He won't get the INT's, pick up a FF and run it in, or get 3 sacks. He will get 2 TFL in a game, 6-7 nasty and backbreaking tackles on RB's and receivers, at least one happy feet hit on the QB, and at least one game saving stop every three games.

Bring om the KOG mock.

I think A'shawn Robinson would be our best option of the players you listed in the original post. He is a 3 down lineman that will improve our run D and pass rush. He will penetrate and push the pocket and will make our LBs and edge rushers more effective. I keep saying that he is a Calias Campbell type player. He is not just a plugger-type DT...his teammate Jarren Reed fits that mold a bit more.

1) Lawson (Can never draft too many pass rushers--Overload with them like The NYG Giants did

2) Treadwell

3) Nkemdiche

4) Floyd...(Beasly could be hurt.... Can never draft too many pass rushers and CBs... Put both of them at DE late in games on 3rd & long situations.. He and Beasley...switching betwwen OLB and and DE = COnfusion for Opposing offenses...)

Edited by Rise

I think A'shawn Robinson would be our best option of the players you listed in the original post. He is a 3 down lineman that will improve our run D and pass rush. He will penetrate and push the pocket and will make our LBs and edge rushers more effective. I keep saying that he is a Calias Campbell type player. He is not just a plugger-type DT...his teammate Jarren Reed fits that mold a bit more.

He's probably going Top 10.

Trading down is a situation that applies more to a team (like the Falcons) with an above average amount of holes in the lineup and a lack of depth. Falcons are hungry for a winner and the roster needs a major shake-up - now if you trade down and pick all the wrong players, then it is all for naught.

I DO think it is a consideration that is unique and special to this team and this pick.

Surprise! Surprise! we disagree.......again!

Trading-down.... You'd better find starters...Diamonds in the rough.....Or you're going to be stuck with a bloated roster of mid-level talent...

To me it seems like small school Practice squad players that most here are complaining about.. Nobody is going to just give The Falcons a bunch of juicy picks...Plus, this draft lacks immediate game-changers ...

Falcons need a difference-maker and BPA...

I like the idea of Julio in his prime having a side kick like Treadwell much like Jerry Rice had John Taylor. So I definitely want Treadwell to be our 17th pick.

I think he's the pick --because... Julio just complete his first full season without injury, and they need to help Ryan and this system... I think they will say that it is more important to help Ryan, than to draft..say... Shaq Lawson, Nkemdiche or Floyd,. They might go in Free Agency... Where does that leaves Roddy?

Edited by Rise

As a UGA fan, I do not want L Floyd! This season was a bust for him and he has always been terrible vs the run. He cannot shed linemen at all and gets pushed too easy. This is in college not the NFL. Maybe he can put up the bulk, but that has been his problem the whole time at UGA and he hasn't done it.

Maybe he can turn out like Geno Atkins, J Houston, R Jones and turn into better NFL players than college guys. If he can just get good vs the run the he would be a stud for the 1st round, but he would be worth it for a later pick.

I think he's the pick --because... Julio just complete his first full season without injury, and they need to help Ryan and this system... I think they will say that it is more important to help Ryan, than to draft..say... Shaq Lawson, Nkemdiche or Floyd,. They might go in Free Agency... Where does that leaves Roddy?

Roddy is out like the jerry curl.

I looked at his highlights and yeah...he is a throwback LB....with punishing tackles all the time!