This League Is Fixed

So, there are people charging money, to tell other people how another company is charging them money for a fixed "game"... Right...

Reality check, if any of this was provable, it wouldn't take a national news organization to cover it, it's called whistle blower status. And the person who could prove any of this is fixed would get that status and thus reap the rewards of every single class action lawsuit levied against each team by their STHs as well as the NFL (and/or all other sporting organizations) thus making that person instantly rich by an obscene margin. It would honestly pale in comparison to the $102M UBS payment that whistle blower got.

Edit: Actually lawsuits could be filed by anyone who had ever legally bet on a game, anyone who had ever bought a ticket to a game, anyone who watched a game on TV, etc. It would literally be the largest class action in the history of the world. And no one is stepping up to get all the money a whistler blower would get?

Again people, do your research. It is LEGAL for the NFL to fix games if they so choose. And frankly you don't understand how the world works if you think rich, powerful, greedy corporations are so easy to take down lol. If the NFL is rigged, its structure isn't so lousy that some self righteous everyman with a lawyer is gonna reap millions from whistle blowing lol.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sway is too thin a thing to hang billions of dollars on worth of outcome on. It's either fixed or it isnt. If the NFL needs to have an outcome they would have to have more than the officials to guarantee it. There is just no way around it. There are too many variables involved in a football game that an outcome hangs on... the main variable being the players on the field.

So unless you are prepared to indict the players in your grand conspiracy then your theory just doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

The head coaches may be in on it. Belicheck won the coin toss in overtime against the Jets and kicked the ball to them. The Jets promptly marched down the field and won the game. Tell me that's not fishy. Who refuses to receive the ball in over time? NOBODY. That only happens if you accidentally press the wrong button on Madden. Real coaches trying to win games don't do that.

Sway is too thin a thing to hang billions of dollars on worth of outcome on. It's either fixed or it isnt. If the NFL needs to have an outcome they would have to have more than the officials to guarantee it. There is just no way around it. There are too many variables involved in a football game that an outcome hangs on... the main variable being the players on the field.

So unless you are prepared to indict the players in your grand conspiracy then your theory just doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

I think you under estimate how much influence a bias ref could have. But I do agree that players are certainly the one with the most control. Could players overcome a bias ref, sure. But so long as it's not a blow out, those slight decisions of biasy would easily be able to decide who wins or loses.

Again people, do your research. It is LEGAL for the NFL to fix games if they so choose. And frankly you don't understand how the world works if you think rich, powerful, greedy corporations are so easy to take down lol. If the NFL is rigged, its structure isn't so lousy that some self righteous everyman with a lawyer is gonna reap millions from whistle blowing lol.

Maybe we could start a Facebook group about it and bring em' down! Lol

You are wrong. Similar law suits have already been filed by fans when the Patriots were found guilty of cheating spy gate. They wanted money and more back for their tickets to a game where one team was cheating. The judge however ruled in favor of the NFL, stating that when you buy a ticket, all you are purchasing is the right to that seat for that time period. You have no other guarantees from the NFL besides that seat for that time.

You could go read the nfl fine print when purchasing a ticket or you could read the summary the judge made by googling it

I don't think I'm wrong in that a total whistle blower case against the NFL, where it is fundamentally proven that across the board, in all games with all teams, that the NFL has fixed or rigged games. Not just when one team bends or breaks the rules. I mean it opens up lawsuits from companies who have marketed with the NFL based on their brand (that brand would be ruined if they were proven to fix games), let alone fans who bought tickets to a sporting event when in fact, it wasn't a sporting event, but a "pre-scripted show".

The most popular example of this, as it relates to business law, is in the Ski / Snowboard world. All lift tickets say it's a ski at your own risk situation but year after year judgments are awarded to users of the ski resorts when it can be proven that the ski resort was negligent or deceitful in their duties. The NFL claims, and thus has a duty, to provide a competitive sporting event. If it was proven that it wasn't competitive and actually predetermined outcomes, everyone involved would have a tort claim against the NFL.

I don't think you understand what whistle blowing is. Every one doesn't get millions. The singular individual who can prove and brings to light the issue is awarded monies from settlements or judgements that are levied against the offending party.

The head coaches may be in on it. Belicheck won the coin toss in overtime against the Jets and kicked the ball to them. The Jets promptly marched down the field and won the game. Tell me that's not fishy. Who refuses to receive the ball in over time? NOBODY. That only happens if you accidentally press the wrong button on Madden. Real coaches trying to win games don't do that.

It's not fishy. It wasn't the first time he made that call. And incidentally, if you did the research that you ask others to do, you'd realize that he won the game he did it previously.

Is the league "fixed" to hand the trophy to a predetermined winner? No, because it would be impossible to hide

Is the league, through the refs, manipulating games to guarantee close scores, compelling matchups and thus better ratings? That's another issue entirely.

Let's be realistic here. If you were a network exec and you just handed the NFL a $2 billion check, wouldn't you pull Goddell aside and say something like 'we really need to make sure the ratings stay up'?

If the fix was in, why wasn't it Dallas instead of Green Bay in the playoffs the year before. Dallas has loads of fans Dez Bryant's non catch could have been ruled a catch and it would have raised less questions than the original call. Not to mention potential Dallas/Seattle Dallas/New England conference and super bowl championship. Just don't see a league sponsored fix. Could somebody get to a ref maybe, but as far as Goodell calling them and saying if you get the chance let Green Bay win, I seriously doubt it.

Pittsburgh and Green Bay have the largest fan base nationally in the NFL.

Bills- I have unfortunately lived in buffalo my whole life. And being a Falcons fan I get to watch from a distance at how illogicaly enamored Bills fans are. They were given so much false hope in the early 90s, probably more than any other team in nfl history without a championship. I kid you not, every year Bills fans think this is their year. They will support that team no matter what, and "billeave" (that's seriously something they say, I can't make this stuff up lol).

Rams- Having 2 superbowl appearances in 3 years gave Rams fans a lot of devotion and hunger as a fan for many years after that. Do I think that ran out recently, yes. Possibly having a string of bad seasons would make the move back to LA even easier? Which we all know how been in discussion for years.

Bucs- A superbowl win in 02 definitely created a good sum of life long fans that have been and will continue to be devoted to that team. Similar to the Rams situation.

Dolphins- There is so many dolphins fans from there years of success, I would even compare them to the Cowboys. Why should the NFL grow a franchise and give them success after already creating so many life long fans. The last time the Cowboys were good, was when they needed to be good. The greatness from their 70s teams was long gone and the city of Dallas was in shambles in the late 80s. Not only did the Cowboys revitalize the city of Dallas but it created another generation of life long Dallas fans that are still going strong today (also sound familiar *cough* aints *cough*)

Browns- Similar to the Bills. Their fan base is illogicaly enamored in that franchise. They have so much devotion that they don't even need to be successful for their fans to be there every Sunday religiously.

Like I mentioned before the NFL is a business and by having success sputtered around at the right time it creates fans, which creates revenue. Think about it like this. The Falcons have been below average or average (.500) for 3 seasons now. Yet I paid $300 to directv to watch my team play every Sunday and take off of work accordingly to the Falcons schedule to make sure I can watch their games. For 3 years now I have been paying and spending my time on a product that's below average (besides sports what else could get away with that?!) But I'm hooked and a fan and will continue watching every game and every season hoping that we can get back to how we were in 2012.

I hope you guys read all that, sorry for the long response though haha!

Fair points. But I'll just say this, I don't think those teams got good or had good seasons just because the NFL wanted them to. I think it happened because they had good coaches and players.

Pittsburgh and Green Bay have the largest fan base nationally in the NFL.

So you are saying Goodell rigged Green Bay to win that game, just to have them lose the next game, making that large fan base unhappy with what was ultimately Super Bowl match up.

Makes no sense, the payoff isn't worth the risk of being found out.

Now show me were it's individual and gambling I can believe that, but a corporate mandated fix , come on man. LOL don't tell me the world has become that cynical, LOL and I an cynical as h e l l LOL.

What's funny is people repeating this line about it being fixed because there is too much involved or it's too big of a business to be left to chance.

The business will never fail based on results. There are many factors involved that make it so big market teams are often there at the end, and even when they are not the money is there. The TV money is set long before the matchup is made and only long term downward trends would make the commericial money come down significantly. Las Vegas is going to make money no matter who is in the Super Bowl as is every single bookie on the planet. There would be too many people involved, and if you want to talk about a loss of revenue you have to think what a fixing scandle would do to all of these money making situations. It would only take one person to give up the goods and the sport would be crushed as well as all of it's ancillary money making avenues like gambling. That's why every locker room in baseball and football has this huge sign in it about not taking bribes or fixing games or gambling on the outcome of games you are involved with.

There is a lot of hypocrisy regarding major sports hate and love relationship with gambling.

There is bias involved.

There may even be some individuals who have done things that impugn the integrity of individual games although that's never been proven or even really suspected.

This notion however that the NFL is systematically fixed is absurd. You can link all of the conspiracy theory books you want, but it's tin foil hat nuts.

What's funny is people repeating this line about it being fixed because there is too much involved or it's too big of a business to be left to chance.

The business will never fail based on results. There are many factors involved that make it so big market teams are often there at the end, and even when they are not the money is there. The TV money is set long before the matchup is made and only long term downward trends would make the commericial money come down significantly. Las Vegas is going to make money no matter who is in the Super Bowl as is every single bookie on the planet. There would be too many people involved, and if you want to talk about a loss of revenue you have to think what a fixing scandle would do to all of these money making situations. It would only take one person to give up the goods and the sport would be crushed as well as all of it's ancillary money making avenues like gambling. That's why every locker room in baseball and football has this huge sign in it about not taking bribes or fixing games or gambling on the outcome of games you are involved with.

There is a lot of hypocrisy regarding major sports hate and love relationship with gambling.

There is bias involved.

There may even be some individuals who have done things that impugn the integrity of individual games although that's never been proven or even really suspected.

This notion however that the NFL is systematically fixed is absurd. You can link all of the conspiracy theory books you want, but it's tin foil hat nuts.

There you have it. I must say it would be nice to live in your world, things would be that simple.

It's not fishy. It wasn't the first time he made that call. And incidentally, if you did the research that you ask others to do, you'd realize that he won the game he did it previously.

Another team chose to defer in OT and won, this year. I want to say it was the Vikings or Chargers, but I can't remember.

I think the poster child for how the fix works is the last Panthers Falcons game. The league wanted the Panthers to win and it was obvious that it was being helped in that direction. BUT the players and coaches are playing to win and they out played the fix. Officials would know if they are slanting a game that there is too far. I think that the Panthers game with anymore penalties that helped the panthers would make it too much.

So the players out played the fix... meaning of course there is no fix.

lol @ the idea that gamblers would bet millions or billions on a game based on a fix when the players can easily out play the fix and cost them all of that money.... or is it that the gamblers aren't in on any fixing and it's all about the league wanting to fix it..... for what reason exactly?

... and the league wanted the Panthers to win it... for what reason exactly? The undefeated season? The undefeated season that could have come to an end a few years ago if not for a player making an unbelievable catch? So I guess he wasn't in on the fix that wasn't really a fix because the desired result didn't happen...

Motive... means... these things are important, and they just don't exist.

There you have it. I must say it would be nice to live in your world, things would be that simple.

Occam's razor.

When faced with competing theories, the one with the least amount of assumptions is the one you go with. The burden of proof is on the one making all the assumptions and in this discussion that is the ones saying the league is fixed. It's all a bunch of crazy notions with an amount of evidence to back it up equal to exactly zero. None.. nada.. zilch.

So the players out played the fix... meaning of course there is no fix.

lol @ the idea that gamblers would bet millions or billions on a game based on a fix when the players can easily out play the fix and cost them all of that money.... or is it that the gamblers aren't in on any fixing and it's all about the league wanting to fix it..... for what reason exactly?

... and the league wanted the Panthers to win it... for what reason exactly? The undefeated season? The undefeated season that could have come to an end a few years ago if not for a player making an unbelievable catch? So I guess he wasn't in on the fix that wasn't really a fix because the desired result didn't happen...

Motive... means... these things are important, and they just don't exist.

&

So tennis isn't fixed either right. Up until a couple weeks ago people were saying the same thing you are. Now we have a huge scandal coming out of pro tennis because outside of the US, tennis is bet on heavily. Boxing also has the issue of fixing and people bet heavily on it. Lets look at college sports. Don't tell me you don't know there is cheating in college sports.

Believe what you will. I don't want to bully or condescend you for your faith that a huge corporation is not insuring larger profits. I couldn't care less who believes its completely fair or not.

The game is much different than it was 20 years ago. I find it harder to invest in the game when it has an appearance of chicanery. What I am surprised at is the amount of people who agree something is wrong this season across the NFL.

Edited by WreckageChild

Occam's razor.

When faced with competing theories, the one with the least amount of assumptions is the one you go with. The burden of proof is on the one making all the assumptions and in this discussion that is the ones saying the league is fixed. It's all a bunch of crazy notions with an amount of evidence to back it up equal to exactly zero. None.. nada.. zilch.

Depends on your frame of reference I guess, if you are a mathematician or a statistician, then the game is fixed. Cold-hard science would say that mathematics is the ultimate truth, or should we say the application of analytics verses assumption!

Edited by Cheap Talk

Why?

Because it just is. It gets more obvious every season.

Once again, it'll be Brady and Worthlessberger and maybe a magical finale from Manning.

The Networks write the script. The players do the acting. The officials do the EDITING.

The NBA and NFL are the same thing. They can call a penalty on ANY play. In fact, if you go back to that hit that Burfect made on Brown, the flag was LATE. Its as if the referee had to think about it because it DID appear that Burfect tried to let up and not hit Brown high by turning his shoulder. The problem with players like Burfect and Pacman Jones is they make it EASY for any flags to be thrown their way.

On the Burfect hit, while watching the LIVE camera angle, i immediately thought it was a illegal hit. When there was no IMMEDIATE flag, i was confused. Then, when they showed the angle the referee had who threw the flag ( he was on the backside of the play), you could better see that Burfect tried to pull up from the hit. Its as if the referee got buzzed by somebody and they told him to throw the flag. In the clip below, you can see the delay before the flag. Thats one of the reasons Pacman Jones ran toward the referee after the flag. Pac saw the play and saw the late flag. Then, as the clip finishes, watch how Burfect demonstrates to Lewis how he turned and tried to hit Brown with his shoulder and avoid the hit to the head.

Edited by slickgadawg