This League Is Fixed

First, I strongly doubt the truthfulness of your statement, and secondly, if you actually think the NFL is fixed, just become a Pro Wrestling fan - at least they don't seriously pretend their matches aren't scripted.

You strongly doubt that I'm a Falcons fan? Yeah maybe not. I mean, my family's only had season tickets for 45 years. How long do we have to have them to qualify?

I love football. But I think the sport is being ruined by big money interests. I have no interest in wrestling. Golf's about the least tamperable sport out there I guess. That ball either goes in the hole or it doesn't.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whether it's fixed or not I have no idea. I will say certain teams like Pittsburgh always seem to get favorable calls. You will never convince me that Bryant controlled that ball and had 2 feet in bounds on that TD catch. The ball was rolling all over his body for god's sake. Shazier leads with the helmet and knocks out Bernard. No penalty is called. Cincy gets a penalty on a clean hit over the middle before that play when that guy clearly hit with his shoulder. The Brown/Burdict play was just ugly by Cincy. On the Pac Man penalty Joey Porter was out there to purely instigate and should have been penalized. He in no way was attending to an injured player. That being said most of this is a mute point if Jeremy Hill doesn't fumble.

Everything about this is very true. The TD was not a catch but they had the announcers acting like it was no question immediately. Launching with the crown of your helmet is a penalty if you are classified as a runner or not. I have seen several quotes from the NFL rule book showing this rule around the internet this morning as a personal foul, but many act like because the announcers didn't bring this up it was fine. Sorry the announcers are in on the slanting.

Edited by WreckageChild

Superbowl 50:

Arizona Cardinals vs. The Kansas City Chiefs (Who is watching in the North East, West Coast, or the biggest market cities..)?

NBA Finals:

The Atlanta Hawks vs The Golden State Warriors?

MLB World Series in the late 90s:

The Braves beat The Cleveland Indians.

Next: The Yankees were in 4 out the next 6 world series....laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

2012 NFC Championship game:

49ers LB shove Falcon WR Roddy White in front of a referee.... Even if the shove was within the 5 yard contact rule..A shove is a shove to the field...(Personal foul or illegal contact).

Tony Gonzalez was basically blocked by 2 LBs (This continues against the Patriots on Monday Night Football the next season). 2 LBs were in front of Tony, and basically blocked his path for 2 seconds... Line-Judge was right there... This only happened against big teams..

Earlier: MAatt Ryan was calling-out plays to his WRs, and the center snaps the ball by his head--when he wasn't ready!

No! There is nothing going on... The best teams win, and the biggest, and best play-makers, and organizations always come-up big win...

Edited by Rise

You strongly doubt that I'm a Falcons fan? Yeah maybe not. I mean, my family's only had season tickets for 45 years. How long do we have to have them to qualify?

I love football. But I think the sport is being ruined by big money interests. I have no interest in wrestling. Golf's about the least tamperable sport out there I guess. That ball either goes in the hole or it doesn't.

Don't sweat it. Most people can't separate the idea of systemic fixing, such as pro wrestling, where everybody's in on it, and a system where circumstances are manipulated to increase the chances of producing a desired outcome.

In the first case, the outcome is predetermined. In the second, the events aren't known, because the players aren't in on it, and they sometimes overcome the intentions of the league.

I think the poster child for how the fix works is the last Panthers Falcons game. The league wanted the Panthers to win and it was obvious that it was being helped in that direction. BUT the players and coaches are playing to win and they out played the fix. Officials would know if they are slanting a game that there is too far. I think that the Panthers game with anymore penalties that helped the panthers would make it too much.

I see people saying sarcastically Jeremy Hill fumbled to help them lose but that's the point. Cam newton fumbled and that was it. The officials had done their best without just blatantly calling the game. It just went the other way. The Steelers where basically getting a runway to finish, but they through a pick. Game over. Well unfortunately Jeremy hill couldn't hold on to the ball.

Like people have said time and time again. The framework is corrupt but the players and coaches are not. The players and coaches can beat the officials but it is difficult.

Superbowl after 9/11 Patriots win. Superbowl after Katrina Saints win.

I agree with this theory. The networks have an agenda, and the officials are somehow made aware of it. A great individual/team effort or bad mistakes can overcome it. It doesn't always go the way they want but they try to support the script without making it blatantly obvious.

The worst officiating I've ever seen was the game Brees broke Marino's TD record against us. That was a game when they picked up the flag for holding in the end zone and even Mike Pierra was scratching his head. We were behind, but were storming back. It was very clear there was an agenda for the record to be broken THAT night on national tv in prime time rather than a meaningless game against Minnesota the next week. Heck, they stopped the game for a 10 minute game ball celebration. Since when is that legal?

I don't believe the players are complicit. They play the game in the framework they're given and try to win.

The league, the officials and the networks all do their best to manipulate the circumstances of each season to create ratings cows come playoff and super bowl time.

I firmly believe that. Occasionally, teams will slip through, but by and large, they get what they want.

There's a reason the majority of titles are in towns like New York, Washington, Massachusetts, Dallas, Pittsburgh, and San Francisco.

The more you watch, the more these patterns emerge, even within games. So, the obvious question is, if I truly believe this, why watch?

I still watch because I believe the players are legitimate and work hard to win. It's the system that is crooked. I just watch with the knowledge that we have to overcome not only the opponent, but also the intentions of the league. Unlike, say, wrestling, where it's all scripted nonsense.

could it be those teams had the talent to win those titles?

Don't sweat it. Most people can't separate the idea of systemic fixing, such as pro wrestling, where everybody's in on it, and a system where circumstances are manipulated to increase the chances of producing a desired outcome.

In the first case, the outcome is predetermined. In the second, the events aren't known, because the players aren't in on it, and they sometimes overcome the intentions of the league.

The $20 million club of players is in on it. Russell signed his big contract last year, and to win the SB he threw a pass down field that was supposed to be close but uncatchable. The only problem was the reciever did not know he was not supposed make a catch, because he did not need to know. Russell was supposed the make the pass uncatchable, but you know the rest of the story, a phenomenal circus catch was made.

The only people that really need to be involved are the QBs, everyone else is real. You sign that big contract, you have joined the club!

could it be those teams had the talent to win those titles?

Possible? Yes. Probable? No. In fact, it's highly improbable that so many titles should reside with so few teams.

One might as well have a stack of 28-32 cards and pick the same handful of cards over and over again 49 times. It's implausible, particularly in football, which has a lot more variables than other sports entertainment.

Remember when an article came out just before the 2012 postseason (or maybe after the divisional round) saying that a Baltimore and Atlanta Super Bowl was the WORST case scenario for TV ratings? That basically, no one CARES about the Falcons in the SB? They were building up the Harbough brothers storyline all throughout the post season. That San Fran locker room commercial "THIS IS OUR YEAR". The referees jobbed Atlanta in the NFCCG that year. And when Baltimore started blowing out San Fran they had to cut the lights out to make it a closer game lol.

It sucks because I really want to love the NFL but I am becoming more and more disenfranchised with it every year.

If Roddy knows the league is rigged I bet he pops out at the mouth about it before he dies!

Why?

Because it just is. It gets more obvious every season.

Once again, it'll be Brady and Worthlessberger and maybe a magical finale from Manning.

The Networks write the script. The players do the acting. The officials do the EDITING.

b86799c1cc53bcf79b45c33e7a67e625.jpg

Brady, "Big" Ben, Rodgers, Brees:

They make big plays in big moments.

Ben just happens to play for a "Legacy Franchise" (The Steelers)..So, one of the greatest QBs in the modern era...happens to play in a big strong legacy town--which was built by previous winning years in the 70s..

Smae for Rodgers and The Packers...

Those 70s Steelers, and Cowboys teams..made the NFL huge..

80s: 49ers, Giants, Redskins, Broncos, Bills..

Legacy teams, and teams that are dominate seem to benefit from the calls and the media coverage.

Watch: When The Braves return to prominence in The South.

They have a legacy now.. Especially of great pitching... They are acquiring pitching until they can fine 2 great ones like before. Smoltz, Glavine, and Maddux received certain calls..

Legacy, history, and a "return to glory of the big named teams..Sure, it has its affects.

Nonsense.

You'll not find a single player, former player, coach, former coach, referee, former referee, owner, league official--no one--to validate such nonsense. If there was just one single person with evidence that such existed that person wold immediately become independently wealthy from some media outlet willing to pay millions for the evidence.

Referees are human and make dumb calls and certainly can be influenced or even intimidated by the the crowd. But to suggest the entire league is "scripted" for a particular Super Bowl matchup is just plan silly. And yes, Elvis is dead too!

Nonsense.

You'll not find a single player, former player, coach, former coach, referee, former referee, owner, league official--no one--to validate such nonsense. If there was just one single person with evidence that such existed that person wold immediately become independently wealthy from some media outlet willing to pay millions for the evidence.

Referees are human and make dumb calls and certainly can be influenced or even intimidated by the the crowd. But to suggest the entire league is "scripted" for a particular Super Bowl matchup is just plan silly. And yes, Elvis is dead too!

Also, as I learned long ago, if Vegas is betting on it you can bet it's real! That's why there has never been a line on pro wrestling.

Players do the acting? Come on now... a lot of these players are don't strike me as the type to keep hush hush.

But yea, you can heavily sway results just based on referees making calls or refusing to make calls that are unreviewable.

I guess it was a bad analogy. I didn't in any way mean to suggest the players or coaches are involved. I don't think they are. Some may know or suspect foul play, but they keep their mouths shut.

But I'm pretty convinced there is collusion between the networks, league, and officials to try to influence the outcome of key games for better ratings.

As we speak Zimmer is going nuts over a Seattle 1st down that clearly should have been overturned.

I freaking loved the temp refs. They made mistakes, but I never once got the feeling a call was biased towards one team or the other, one players or the other, etc ...

Even the Seahawks-Packers game fail seemed more about them not knowing the rules in that situation than them handing a win to someone.

I don't like that they have career refs that eventually have to serve their employer(the NFL). Let the players and coaches hold the refs accountable and review them instead of the the league and "committees." At least then, when they screw up on the job, they'll be out of a job like anyone else. Instead, the league just plays damage control and sweeps the flaws under the carpet.

I get a kick out of every Sunday there is some call that the analysts discuss with correspondents and after the discussion, the call after review goes against what was declared. Leaving everyone saying, "WTF?"

Nonsense.

Part of getting a payoff deal would include keeping your mouth shut. Why would they talk and admit they got paid to do something dirty?

Man, there has been some stuff happen that any rational person would look at and think it's fixed. I've been not so seriously pushing the idea for years now.

As big as the NFL has gotten and the amount of money it generates it honestly makes no real sense for the owners to let it run naturally. When all they have to do is create some drama and make 10x as much. They know all to well that the new modern. NFL fan will soak up the nonsense like a fiending crackhead.

I mean, just treat it like pro wrestling. The place sports talk has gotten to lawd knows the new fans don't really want to talk ball. They want drama.

Same. The only thing for me is how disappointing it is. I HATE the WWE. Period and passionately.

By the way, it would be legal for the NFL to script outcomes. They have argued in court that they are a single entity, not a collection of 32 individual teams. Nobody would go to jail if the league decided that a Denver vs Carolina matchup would generate more revenue that a Chiefs vs Redskins game.