• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why?

Because it just is. It gets more obvious every season.

Once again, it'll be Brady and Worthlessberger and maybe a magical finale from Manning.

The Networks write the script. The players do the acting. The officials do the EDITING.

I guess the illegal hit on Brown was staged too right? Bengals had a meltdown and it cost them the game, end of story.

Scales tipped a little? Yes.

Fixed and scripted? No.

You can't convince me that grown men who have had their egos inflated since they were in pop warner are losing on purpose. Antonio Brown getting his head knocked off tonight was not written into any script. You think a guy in his contract year is going to miss tackles or throw incomplete passes on purpose to fit a script when it would directly affect their income?? I can understand that the refs could be told to slant the game in one direction because if a particular team wins, it creates a better and more dramatic situation, but to call the NFL fixed and scripted is just ludicrous.

I can understand that the refs could be told to slant the game in one direction because if a particular team wins, it creates a better and more dramatic situation.

And that's ok?

Like I said, the refs don't write the script. They just do the editing. And if it's on the cutting room floor, it doesn't make the movie.

Deion Sanders is defending Purfect, saying that he didn't go all out to take out Brown . There's only so much a defensive player can do, especially when the game's on the line. The rules have been increasingly slanted towards the offense for years.

But right now the NFL network is running a headline saying "will we see Brady vs Manning?"

You tell me this isn't their desire? You tell me this isn't the script? Sure, if exceptional athletes change the results, the league and media will fall in line. But make no mistake, the referees are primed to support the script.

And that's how the calls go. The Bengals got hosed. Just like the Falcons would have if we were playing the 49ers, or the Cowboys.

That's just how it is. Don't kid y

Man, there has been some stuff happen that any rational person would look at and think it's fixed. I've been not so seriously pushing the idea for years now.

As big as the NFL has gotten and the amount of money it generates it honestly makes no real sense for the owners to let it run naturally. When all they have to do is create some drama and make 10x as much. They know all to well that the new modern. NFL fan will soak up the nonsense like a fiending crackhead.

Man, there has been some stuff happen that any rational person would look at and think it's fixed. I've been not so seriously pushing the idea for years now.

As big as the NFL has gotten and the amount of money it generates it honestly makes no real sense for the owners to let it run naturally. When all they have to do is create some drama and make 10x as much. They know all to well that the new modern. NFL fan will soak up the nonsense like a fiending crackhead.

I mean, just treat it like pro wrestling. The place sports talk has gotten to lawd knows the new fans don't really want to talk ball. They want drama.

First, I strongly doubt the truthfulness of your statement, and secondly, if you actually think the NFL is fixed, just become a Pro Wrestling fan - at least they don't seriously pretend their matches aren't scripted.

They did for many decades and only admitted it because they had to for tax reasons. The NFL is so obviously rigged and you can easily see it once you accept that it could be a possibility. If you really pay attention you can see how the refs are directing the game by exerting their control whenever it is needed. I doubt the players are really in on it, but sometimes I wonder about the coaches....especially after last year's superbowl ending play. Tuggle made the single most honest point, do you really think a multi-billion dollar business is really going to be left to chance?

I just hope Blank has made his bribe to the refs for next season so he can sell all the PSL's...I mean, win the superbowl.

Edited by PermaGrin

Exactly. It's all about maximizing profits. But the league is so greedy that they are making it too obvious now. Not all of the players need to be in on it. In fact, most of them probably don't even know.

Remember week 1 when the Giants could have iced a win over the Cowboys? They were up by 3, had 1st and goal with about 1 min left. A TD would have been game over. But Jennings said after the game that he was told NOT to score when he was handed the ball twice. He was upset because he could have scored but did what he was told to do. They took the field goal and Dallas came back to win. Eli took the blame when it made the news, but Jennings believed that the orders came from the coaches.

When I watch the Falcons play, I can't help but think they were also told NOT to score. There is too much talent on offense to be as dysfunctional as they are.

That's one of the benefits of having a rule book that leaves so much scope for interpretation and relies heavily on the judgment of officials. It gives them loads of scope to interfere in the outcome of games by the way they exercise that judgment. Just look at holding, personal fouls, PI and the rules about what constitutes a catch.

There are holds or borderline holds on just about every NFL play, so they can throw a borderline flag here or turn a blind eye to a call there as and when it suits them. The same goes for the hand fighting you see between WRs and DB's downfield etc. How many times do you see one team's QB rocked late and no flag gets thrown, but the other team's QB get barely touched and the flags come out?

It was very interesting when the replacement refs were called in a few years ago. The officiating of the games was much fairer and it was totally refreshing to see games where the same old teams weren't getting the benefit of the borderline calls. They tried to discredit the replacement refs by highlighting a few blown calls, when similar decisions by the regular refs get no attention.

FWIW I don't think that the game are outcomes of games and pre-determined, or that the teams or coaches are in on it, but I do think that the NFL (and its broadcasters) play favourites in favour our the big markets teams and teams with big fanbases - through the way games are officiated, setting of schedules etc. They chase ratings, because rating equals more money. Even the NFL's own TV network does it.

Whether it's fixed or not I have no idea. I will say certain teams like Pittsburgh always seem to get favorable calls. You will never convince me that Bryant controlled that ball and had 2 feet in bounds on that TD catch. The ball was rolling all over his body for god's sake. Shazier leads with the helmet and knocks out Bernard. No penalty is called. Cincy gets a penalty on a clean hit over the middle before that play when that guy clearly hit with his shoulder. The Brown/Burdict play was just ugly by Cincy. On the Pac Man penalty Joey Porter was out there to purely instigate and should have been penalized. He in no way was attending to an injured player. That being said most of this is a mute point if Jeremy Hill doesn't fumble.