Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Falconsfan567

Vontez Burfict

343 posts in this topic

False.

It is a foul if a player initiates unnecessary contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture.

(a) Players in a defenseless posture are: [. . .]

(2) A receiver attempting to catch a pass; or who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a runner. If the receiver/runner is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player;

[. . .]

(B) Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture is:

(1) Forcibly hitting the defenseless players head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or shoulder, regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the defenseless player by encircling or grasping him; and

(2) Lowering the head and making forcible contact with the top/crown or forehead/hairline parts of the helmet against any part of the defenseless players body.

Hits on defenseless players have become like Rorschach tests: The way observers react to them tells you more about the observers than it does about the hits. But if were going to react to the hits at all, we should at least know what the rules say. Its smart for the NFL to continue to make the rules widely available, even though we all know this wasnt the last time two observers of the same hit will sharply disagree about whether it should have been a penalty.

LOL, you learn something every day. Before you all freak out on me, at least I came back to admit I'm wrong.

JC Falcon likes this

LOL, you learn something every day. Before you all freak out on me, at least I came back to admit I'm wrong.

Having said that, Burfict still didn't LOSE the game. That was going to be a 47 yard field goal. I go back to Adam Jones. What was that?

He'd still be an upgrade to any of our LBs.

Wouldn't take a guy likely to get ejected at any time and plays like a dumba$$ come crunch time. Wheeler was serviceable. I'd take him over someone like Burfict. Then again I'm like that with Suh too.

Having said that, Burfict still didn't LOSE the game. That was going to be a 47 yard field goal. I go back to Adam Jones. What was that?

Had Burfict not hit Brown like that, Jones would never had a chance to do something just as stupid. Would've ended up being a 60+ yard fg try

Kudos to you for admitting it. Can't hate on that.

It was an ugly hit but it didn't look deliberate. And the refs and Lewis should've handled the Joey Porter earlier than that, why is an assistant coach over by Bengals players anyways? Just a ****** way to end a good game but that's how the cards stack.

That hit is praised 2 decades ago

zekeyboy1 likes this

i like how shazier **** near killed gio bernard and was dancing on the sidelines about it and that doesn't get brought up.

he was wrong for that. That was retaliation for when Burfict hurt Le'veon Bell in the first game they played this year and he was celebrating it.

JAMES hARRISON JUST SAID ITS A PENALTY, BUT HE DOESNT THINK IT SHOULD BE, BECAUSE ITS HARD FOR THE DEFENDER TO REACT..Totally agree..Every rule out there caters to the offensive side of the football. Burfict couldve did ALOT more damage on that play if he wanted to..

PokerSteve likes this

It was an ugly hit but it didn't look deliberate. And the refs and Lewis should've handled the Joey Porter earlier than that, why is an assistant coach over by Bengals players anyways? Just a ****** way to end a good game but that's how the cards stack.

That hit is praised 2 decades ago

it isn't 1996. Times have changed
Falconsfan567 likes this

JAMES hARRISON JUST SAID ITS A PENALTY, BUT HE DOESNT THINK IT SHOULD BE, BECAUSE ITS HARD FOR THE DEFENDER TO REACT..Totally agree..Every rule out there caters to the offensive side of the football. Burfict couldve did ALOT more damage on that play if he wanted to..

Agreed...

When you running full speed like that it's not as simple as people make it out to be, to let up.

zekeyboy1 likes this

To a defenseless WR in the HEAD

To be honest, though, that officiating crew's definition of "defenseless" was pretty screwed up throughout the game.

doesn't matter. It's a penalty. Like Ray Lewis said when the rules changed "you adjust"

i like how shazier **** near killed gio bernard and was dancing on the sidelines about it and that doesn't get brought up.

I'll be honest, I didn't see that or I probably would've said something. I even said something when Cam got hammered playing GB and Matthews walks over and holds out his hand to help Cam up and when Cam goes to reach out Matthews pulls his hand away and walks off. Poor sportsmanship deserves no place on the gridiron.

Sidecar Falcon likes this

it isn't 1996. Times have changed

Nah true, I agree with the penalty. But the same players people revel as Warriors were praised for that type of play...so I don't consider it dirty or think dude is a thug because of it. Just wrong place wrong time type hit. Deserve the penalty, but not some type of stigma, ya feel me?

I just wish ANYONE on our roster showed the emotion Burfict does. What do you think Burfict would've done on the Vaccaro/Ryan hit?

Probably something extremely stupid. There is passion, and then there is idiocy. He skews towards the latter.

Nah true, I agree with the penalty. But the same players people revel as Warriors were praised for that type of play...so I don't consider it dirty or think dude is a thug because of it. Just wrong place wrong time type hit. Deserve the penalty, but not some type of stigma, ya feel me?

he isn't a thug. But he is a dirty player. His actions on the football field at Arizona State and in Cincy tells me that
Falconsfan567 likes this