Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Falconsfan567

Vontez Burfict

343 posts in this topic

Clean hit. I thought the announcers seemed predetermined to judge Berfict as a dumb reckless thug.

Now Adam Jones is a freakin idiot. Let's have no confusion about that.

Because this isn't Burfict's first time doing something like this. He's got a long history of it dating back to his days at Arizona State. It's the reason he went undrafted, that and his weed problem.

^ This. The ball was already out of play. There was no need to lower your shoulder for a hit, period. He is either stupid and/or a dirty player. My guess is both.

Clean hit. I thought the announcers seemed predetermined to judge Berfict as a dumb reckless thug.

Not clean and the he was playing dumb and wreck less the whole quarter.

But was it helmet to helmet? All tackles are deliberate.

It doesnt matter, you don't strike a defenseless player in the head regardless of the situation, especially when he had plenty of time to readjust and knew brown didn't have the ball.

Burfict handles the dumb and reckless part on his own.. Doesn't need any help pointing it out

Not true. Helmet to helmet is a foul. Shoulder to helmet is not.

False.

It is a foul if a player initiates unnecessary contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture.

(a) Players in a defenseless posture are: [. . .]

(2) A receiver attempting to catch a pass; or who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a runner. If the receiver/runner is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player;

[. . .]

(B) Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture is:

(1) Forcibly hitting the defenseless players head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or shoulder, regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the defenseless player by encircling or grasping him; and

(2) Lowering the head and making forcible contact with the top/crown or forehead/hairline parts of the helmet against any part of the defenseless players body.

Hits on defenseless players have become like Rorschach tests: The way observers react to them tells you more about the observers than it does about the hits. But if were going to react to the hits at all, we should at least know what the rules say. Its smart for the NFL to continue to make the rules widely available, even though we all know this wasnt the last time two observers of the same hit will sharply disagree about whether it should have been a penalty.

Some people don't understand how penalties work. He could've paralyzed or killed brown with that hit.

If you can quote in the rule book to prove me wrong, I'll gladly agree with you.