Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blkbigdog35

Falcons Off Season News

151 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Sounds like ESPN thinks we will take a CB

That is possible but not because Collins is not on the field though

It's so cute when you TRY.

You're like the Little Train that Couldn't.1443.gif

19 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Sounds like ESPN thinks we will take a CB

That is possible but not because Collins is not on the field though

I could see them looking at some college free agents or camp casualties from other teams post draft.

Myles Jack Injury: Updates on NFL Prospect's Recovery from Knee Surgery

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2617191-myles-jack-injury-updates-on-nfl-prospects-recovery-from-knee-surgery

Jack Sets Visits with NFL Teams

Friday, April 8

Jason Cole of Bleacher Report reported Jack will visit the San Francisco 49ers this weekend after recent visits with the Atlanta Falcons and Baltimore Ravens.

Add Boston College's Justin Simmons to the list of safeties the Falcons are interested in

By Dave Choate  @TheFalcoholic on Apr 9, 2016, 9:00a 17 

usa-today-8942851.0.jpg
Greg M. Cooper-USA TODAY Sports

Physically, at least, Simmons looks the part.

The Atlanta Falcons are leaving no stone unturned in this draft class when it comes to safeties, and that means looking for projected late round options who might prove to be steals. Enter Justin Simmons.

Simmons is a projected 5th-7th rounder, depending on where you look, with his chief advantages being his length (Dan Quinn is fired about it!) and the major knocks on him having to do with fluidity and ability in coverage. From the limited amount of Simmons I've seen, I'd suggest that he's better than the projections give him credit for, and if the Falcons whiff on the likes of Darian Thompson and Keanu Neal early on, he'd be a high-upside selection late. We'll see how interested the Falcons are in less than three weeks, but I'm not opposed to Simmons at all.

Falcons worked out Indiana lineman Jason Spriggs on Thursday

By Dave Choate  @TheFalcoholic on Apr 9, 2016, 2:43p 7 

usa-today-9107643.0.jpg
Chuck Cook-USA TODAY Sports

The athletic tackle is unlikely to be a Falcon, but hey, you never know.

It's a day for tracking workouts, evidently! We'll point you in the direction of a complete list tomorrow morning, but for now, let's take a look at one of yesterday's reported visits that we didn't cover.

Spriggs seems like an odd fit for the Falcons at first (and perhaps even second) glance, because he's a tackle who is widely projected to go in the first three rounds. The only way I could see Atlanta taking him is if A) they think he can play guard at a high level in the NFL, since the team has a need there or B) they're not counting on having Ryan Schraeder after this season, and want his long-term replacement on the roster. As a plus athlete who moves well, Spriggs would be a nice fit for Kyle Shanahan's offense, either way, but I can't say I see him as a likely selection given the team's other needs.

How about you?

Falcons worked out German wide receiver Moritz Boehringer Friday

By Dave Choate  @TheFalcoholic on Apr 9, 2016, 10:35a 15 

usa-today-9134446.0.jpg
More-its? - Brian Spurlock-USA TODAY Sports

Cool name, real upside, no clue what he'll turn into.

Boehringer is a supremely interesting prospect, albeit one none of us really know much about. His pro day was insanely impressive, his athleticism jumps off the screen at you, and he's got excellent size. Considering he's unlikely to cost a team more than a sixth or seventh round pick, you can see why so many teams are interested in taking him on as a project at wide receiver.

That's the thing, though: He's almost certainly a project. Boehringer simply hasn't played football for all that long, the level of competition in German football is not, shall we say,robust, and there will be a steep learning curve to transfer to the NFL. Even if you're just burning a seventh rounder on him, there's a very good chance that investment won't pay off.

For the Falcons, he'd be a bottom-of-the-roster stash in his first (and perhaps second) year(s), but certainly would be a potential special teams asset with his speed and physicality, and might actually turn into something down the line. As we've seen from previous Falcons drafts, there are worse ways to spend your seventh round picks.

Will Tyler Starr earn a 2016 role?

By Dave Choate  @TheFalcoholic on Apr 9, 2016, 2:00p 9 

usa-today-8748376.0.jpg
Jason Getz-USA TODAY Sports

Impossible, you say? Never.

This is such a ridiculous, offseason-centric question that I actually laughed while I was typing the headline. That doesn't mean that it's not a valid one, however.

Tyler Starr had some very intriguing measurables in the 2014 draft, but he went in the seventh round because he was a project, one that would need to be built up by an engaged coaching staff into a legitimate NFL player. He's spent each of the last two seasons primarily on the practice squad

Starr was so hyped in certain quarters as a seventh round pick in 2014 that he was almost destined to be considered a failure, but after spending two seasons quietly waiting in the wings and getting to play in exactly one regular season game, he enters 2016 with a legitimate chance at a role. The linebacker corps is far from settled, for one thing, and Starr is a legitimate athlete at a position group that has very few of those.

Starr isn't guaranteed a roster spot, much less a significant role, but if he's legitimately improved over the last two seasons, he may actually get some playing time on special teams and as a reserve linebacker. The team is starved for long-term help on both fronts, so we'll hope that Starr is up to the task.

2 hours ago, blkbigdog35 said:

I could see them looking at some college free agents or camp casualties from other teams post draft.

Yeah that's what I've been thinking as well. 

6 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Someone needs to run out and replenish their Geritol...:lol: Now back to off season news

The fact that you have to resort to Geritol shows yet again how lame you really are. These poor fans just haven't realized just what a self involved, condescending, lying P.O.S. you really are. I'm sure they'll find out soon enough when they see your 3rd party ********. What? You give that up because you ruined the best forum on these boards with the help of your third person ********? Or, you didn't and are just waiting to spring it on 'em when you start telling them this is YOUR message board and you're the Alpha Chicken?

I must have really gotten deep into that pirate head of yours (rent free) in RC for you to still follow me around like this.  Now the splinter boards don't even want you...:lol:

12 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

I must have really gotten deep into that pirate head of yours (rent free) in RC for you to still follow me around like this.  Now the splinter boards don't even want you...:lol:

Everyone can see why you would NEED to say that. You poor deluded old *******.

old-guy_zps9d209f61.jpg

1 minute ago, jb 3.0 said:

Everyone can see why you would NEED to say that. You poor deluded old *******.

I'm multi-tasking now. I can watch the Rangers on MLB.Com while still engaging in the AFMBs.  This will increase my prowess on all levels now.  

Just now, WhenFalconsWin said:

I'm multi-tasking now. I can watch the Rangers on MLB.Com while still engaging in the AFMBs.  This will increase my prowess on all levels now.  

Not doing a very good job of it either. Why is that not surprising? Posting baseball comments in the new format thread.....

Yeah you're right on top of things, huh? Dizzy old ****!

old-guy_zps9d209f61.jpg

Just now, jb 3.0 said:

Not doing a very good job of it either. Why is that not surprising? Posting baseball comments in the new format thread.....

Yeah you're right on top of things, huh? Dizzy old ****!

Did you know Jim Carrey once dated Linda Ronstadt?

Just now, WhenFalconsWin said:

Did you know Jim Carrey once dated Linda Ronstadt?

Poor Poor Pitiful YOU.....

old-guy_zps9d209f61.jpg

4 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Did you know Mike Nesmith of the Monkees wrote her biggest hit?  Yep, Different Drum

old-guy_zps9d209f61.jpg

12 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Yep, a lot of people wouldn't know that.  I am good in those trivia games

Keep it over in RC. You've already been warned once!

There is more speculation out there that we may be dropping back from #17.  I would do it, we need the extra pick in the 2nd and I think we could land possibly two LBers.  Perfect scenario would be Lee and J. Smith/Floyd/Jones

21 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

There is more speculation out there that we may be dropping back from #17.  I would do it, we need the extra pick in the 2nd and I think we could land possibly two LBers.  Perfect scenario would be Lee and J. Smith/Floyd/Jones

You were told to keep your worthless opinions in RC. Am I gonna have to report you to the mods like you did to everyone else? Stay back over where you belong! 

That was only with you.  If you want to talk football over there I'd more than welcome it.  

Back to Falcons news, is anyone as disappointed in Jalen Collins as I am right now?