Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ket222

Why Don't We Spend More On Free Agency?

29 posts in this topic

I don't know a lot about football, but one thing I'm always surprised at is that we don't pick up big time players on FA even though we are DESPERATE for talent. I always get the sense that we are reactionary in our picks and wait too long to pick up the best players who go quickly in FA.

Didn't we have a lot of cap money to bring in big time FAs the last couple of years? With the new stadium, I'd think Blank would be desperate to bring in talent! Is there not much talent in FA this year for our areas of need, and how much cap room will we have in COMPARISON with other teams? I don't get the sense that we are desperate to become a dominant franchise.

The last few years we've been holding money to sign Julio and Roddy. I bet we spend more this offseason, because the only player coming up who ought to cost us a ton of money is Trufant, and we have a couple of years before that's a worry.

You'll find that the majority of big time FA acquisitions aren't very valuable for their team doing the signing.

If you're looking for big time difference makers, you're better off acquiring them in the draft. You use FA to supplement and fill roster holes. This is best done with mid-tier (or lower) FAs.

I honestly think a lot of players don't want to play in Atlanta. We bring guys in for interviews and they leave and sign other teams.

I honestly think a lot of players don't want to play in Atlanta. We bring guys in for interviews and they leave and sign other teams.

I don't think it is that at all. You see plenty of good free agents sign with bad teams, simply because a team is willing to overpay for their service. Mario Willaims went to a terrible Buffalo team when he signed there, Karlos Dansby (who for the life of me am still perplexed as to why the Falcons didn't go after him) signed with the Bengals 5 years ago when they were not very good and in transition, Demarius Thomas went to the Jags, and the list goes on I'm sure. It's about money, or if you're on the verge of winning it all. After all that is why Tony Gonzalez eventually signed with Atlanta (chance for a championship) and also why John Abraham signed here (money) as well.

I don't think it is that at all. You see plenty of good free agents sign with bad teams, simply because a team is willing to overpay for their service. Mario Willaims went to a terrible Buffalo team when he signed there, Karlos Dansby (who for the life of me am still perplexed as to why the Falcons didn't go after him) signed with the Bengals 5 years ago when they were not very good and in transition, Demarius Thomas went to the Jags, and the list goes on I'm sure. It's about money, or if you're on the verge of winning it all. After all that is why Tony Gonzalez eventually signed with Atlanta (chance for a championship) and also why John Abraham signed here (money) as well.

Abraham and Gonzalez were both traded for.

We traded for Gonzo. Abraham was a big time signing for us and also had a long time impact on us. Both shows how big time FA signings can impact a team.

Ironhead1956 likes this

Abraham came here because it was close to his hometown of South Carolina

I think it depends. I can understand why we didn't go after Suh, for example, but don't understand why we leave $15 million and start the season without anybody who can play at certain positions.

The lack of spending last year was down to the fact that there were very few options of any real quality in Free Agency (An opinion also shared by the Giants). That's why TD and DQ brought in players on one-year prove-it deals instead of splurging big money on guys like Suh, who weren't worth such a big financial outlay. Its not because they are afraid of spending or because players don't want to be here. They're being smart with the cap.

rugger8 and RyanC like this

well, in that case, will this be a MUCH better FA year for our needs, and will we have a lot more money than most teams to spend? If not, it just seems like we'll remain mediocre Again, it just doesn't seem like there is much urgency to improve which is puzzling, esp if they keep shanahan and dimitroff

You'll find that the majority of big time FA acquisitions aren't very valuable for their team doing the signing.

If you're looking for big time difference makers, you're better off acquiring them in the draft. You use FA to supplement and fill roster holes. This is best done with mid-tier (or lower) FAs.

C'mon Larry I got a sneaking suspicion a certain poster is going to come in here and bring up the GM and complain about such signings like Reed Dunta or No play and tunnel vision it before looking at the landscape surrounding decisions like spending in FA.

Because TD is a cheap bargain hunter. As much money as he makes in salary, he probably go to the grocery store and still shop for foods that are marked down because it's about to spoil in 2 days instead of buying fresh.

GreggT likes this

Because TD is a cheap bargain hunter. As much money as he makes in salary, he probably go to the grocery store and still shop for foods that are marked down because it's about to spoil in 2 days instead of buying fresh.

How do you know that maybe he wanted say Mario 4 years ago but King Arthur said slow your roll sunshine that's my $$$$$ your spending so we got No Play Ray instead.

See I don't know this happend much like your post you don't know either.

Dansby is with Browns and Demarius is still with the Broncos.

Because big name FA's are grossly overpaid and not worth the contracts they get. When was the last time that a super bowl winner was built around expensive an expensive FA acquisition (or acquisitions)?

The Packers (Reggie White), Saints (Drew Brees) and 1999 Rams (Mashall Faulk) are the only ones that spring to mind. The list of big name FA who failed to improve their teams is much longer, and includes some guys who were considered the best in the NFL at their positions and totally busted its new teams.

For the reasons listed above, we should spend our money on the interior OL. Costs less than other positions and has less injuries than other positions. Meanwhile we only require adequacy, so we have a strong chance of actually succeeding in plugging the hole.

Its also nice that top ILB and S will be available in the draft where we pick anyways.

How do you know that maybe he wanted say Mario 4 years ago but King Arthur said slow your roll sunshine that's my $$$$$ your spending so we got No Play Ray instead.

See I don't know this happend much like your post you don't know either.

You right I don't know, it was a joke. Try taking the stick outta ya azz.

The last few years we've been holding money to sign Julio and Roddy. I bet we spend more this offseason, because the only player coming up who ought to cost us a ton of money is Trufant, and we have a couple of years before that's a worry.

Alford should be resigned as well. We have an option with Tru.