Soliai On Ir

FentayeJones

This is a guy that I can't seem to grasp mentally if I'd keep him on the team or not. He's not exactly cheap and I feel like maybe his production doesn't match his paycheck but then again, what was expected of him? I did see him stuff quite a few runs this season. He's not a pass rusher so I'm not worried about his sack production. Most players it's pretty easy cut/keep but with Paul, I'm not so sure. He's too expensive to just keep around for depth though.

This is a guy that I can't seem to grasp mentally if I'd keep him on the team or not. He's not exactly cheap and I feel like maybe his production doesn't match his paycheck but then again, what was expected of him? I did see him stuff quite a few runs this season. He's not a pass rusher so I'm not worried about his sack production. Most players it's pretty easy cut/keep but with Paul, I'm not so sure. He's too expensive to just keep around for depth though.

I wouldnt want him gone unless it was absolutely necessary. I think if we continue to supplement the front 7, he becomes an even better player.

He's a little steep at just under $7m cap charge but with over $4 mill in dead money if he's cut, I think I'd rather keep him.

I'd restructure his contract. He is a really good run stuffer. But cut T-Jax. Cut the **** out of him

Thats another possibility. His deal is pretty salary-driven so you could get away with a bonus/restructure if you were willing to keep him around for another year or two.

But I do sort of feel like we don't do a ton of contract restructuring. Which has resulted in us always being in decent (or better) cap situations. The FO might like to view their future cap as a collection of "fixed costs" rather than trying to push back $$ pain into the future.

Vaughn McClure

The Atlanta Falcons announced they've placed veteran nose tackle Paul Soliai on injured reserve with a calf strain, meaning he won't play in the regular-season finale against New Orleans this Sunday.

Soliai won't knee surgery. His future with the team remains unclear although he said he "loves" playing in Atlanta.

The Falcons signed Soliai to a five-year, $35 million deal before the 2014 season that included $14 million guaranteed and a $7 million signing bonus. Soliai collected a $2 million roster bonus last season.

He has non-guaranteed base salaries of $5 million, $4.5 million, and $6 million over the next three seasons along with the potential of $2.5 million in roster bonuses based on being active on game day. His cap numbers would be $6.9 million (2016), $6.9 million (2017), and $8.4 million (2018).

The Falcons could ask Soliai to take a pay cut, a measure he would likely decline. Falcons coach Dan Quinn has to decide how Soliai fits in his defensive scheme moving forward or if it's time to go younger at the position.

Soliai, who turns 32 on Wednesday, originally came to the Falcons to eat up space in a 3-4 hybrid defense, taking on the double-teams to allow the linebackers to make plays. He transitioned to a 4-3 under front with Quinn by dropping weight in the offseason.

Soliai showed strong flashes of playmaking ability throughout the season, finishing with 22 tackles, three tackles for losses, five quarterback hits and a fumble recovery in 348 snaps played through 14 games. The calf injury nagged him since the Minnesota game (Week 12) and caused him to miss the game at Carolina. He also had a concussion against San Francisco but didn't miss any game action.

Rookie Grady Jarrett emerged as a candidate for the nose tackle of the future, although Jarrett was shelved last Sunday as a result of a shoulder injury. His status for this Sunday's finale against the New Orleans Saints is uncertain. Malliciah Goodman and rookie Joey Mbu are candidates for snaps at nose tackle as well, while veteran Tyson Jackson could see a few looks there, too, to end the season.

To Falcons promoted tight end DJ Tialavea from the practice squad to take Soliai's spot on the 53-man roster.

I wouldnt want him gone unless it was absolutely necessary. I think if we continue to supplement the front 7, he becomes an even better player.

He's a little steep at just under $7m cap charge but with over $4 mill in dead money if he's cut, I think I'd rather keep him.

You've convinced me. I only saw cap savings with him. Didn't realize it would be 4 mil in dead money.

I don't think putting him on IR automatically means he is gone. It frees up a roster spot to promote a guy for the last game.

heard this being discussed on Dukes and Bell this afternoon. general consensus was that he was a Smith/Nolan guy, not someone even TD really wanted to sign, odds are he won't be back next year. Has ANYONE been put on IR and kept?

Personally, I don't care either way, if we keep Soliai, or not --- he's been good at stuffing the run, and a few QB hits & hurries, but not much else.

While it would be expensive to cut him (if we go that route), it would give some younger guys a chance to get some snaps next year in Pre Season and possibly earn a roster spot!

I never did think Soliai is worth the money and length of contract he was given ---

Personally, I don't care either way, if we keep Soliai, or not --- he's been good at stuffing the run, and a few QB hits & hurries, but not much else.

While it would be expensive to cut him (if we go that route), it would give some younger guys a chance to get some snaps next year in Pre Season and possibly earn a roster spot!

I never did think Soliai is worth the money and length of contract he was given ---

What "younger guys"? Jarrett is not a NT....Mbu? With the way people are complaining about the Undrafted Free Agents on the roster, they will have to draft another..