Hankerson Was Garbage.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There were two knocks on Hankerson coming in:

First, he had not stayed healthy. That was confirmed.

Second, he had inexplicable drops. That happened here too.

He was the type of receiver we needed. Good size and speed.

Great catching radius and ...he was open. He helped our offense

be more dynamic while he was healthy and that was during our

5-0 stretch. I had great hopes he would overcome the "two knocks"

but it didn't happen for him here.

I would be happy with Sanu. Jones is the better of the two Bengals, but I think they will keep him.

Yep, I'd like to bring in Jones or Sanu, whichever one Cincinnati lets go.

Brian Quick would also be an intriguing option. He's never played with a solid QB and could shine with so much attention focused on Julio.

I'd also take a flier on Josh Gordon if he is reinstated. The risk is worth the reward if he can get his mind right. Being around prove vets like Julio and Roddy could really help with that. Plus, he has a little experience in Shanahan's scheme.

Travis Benjamin would also be a nice add as a deep threat, but I think the Browns will re-sign him.

Yep, I'd like to bring in Jones or Sanu, whichever one Cincinnati lets go.

Brian Quick would also be an intriguing option. He's never played with a solid QB and could shine with so much attention focused on Julio.

I'd also take a flier on Josh Gordon if he is reinstated. The risk is worth the reward if he can get his mind right. Being around prove vets like Julio and Roddy could really help with that. Plus, he has a little experience in Shanahan's scheme.

Travis Benjamin would also be a nice add as a deep threat, but I think the Browns will re-sign him.

I would literally do cartwheels of joy if they took a chance and got Gordon. Seriously though, a big receiver with good wingspan would be sweet to have in the number 2 spot. Just one that doesnt drop 3rd downs that hit him in the hands like Hankerson... Im a big fan of hardy in the slot though. I think he will prove to have been a solid draft steal for us next year.

Hedge your bets and pickup Justin Blackmon and JohnnynManziel too. Guys like them and Gordon have serious issues that need intense inpatient treatment. Until they decide to take action because there is no other option they will continue to fail.

I'd rather football tell them no and force them to realize they need to get straight than to keep enabling them.

Supported the signing from the jump and kept showing support while everyone else complained. You know, the same way Matt Ryan fans have done all year.

Only concern I had was the injuries. The drops weren't a concern because there wasn't a single player on the team that wasn't gonna drop the ball so there was no sense in focusing so much on his hands. Heck Julio dropped some extremely easy passes this year but because of who he is he gets a pass. Yeah, **** that.

Anywho, for every dropped pass he had he made up for it big time in almost every game before he was initially injured so kudos to him for those plays.

I like Hardy for the slot, but would like a big possession receiver opposite Julio. Doesn't have to be a world beater - just a consistent chain-mover. Honestly, I'd love to have Brian Finneran back next to Julio. No pressure on him to be the #1 guy (which is what derailed him in 2002) and an astounding percentage of his receptions were for first downs or touchdowns over his career.

Hankerson's play early in the season was one of the reasons this offense looked decent. Did he drop too many passes? Sure. And ultimately, he couldnt avoid the nagging soft tissue injuries. But its not like he didnt do anything well.

yeah it's pretty silly to sit back a pretend that he didn't do anything good before he was hurt.

Hankerson was not garbage. He just wasn't (and never was going to be) a #2 receiver and that is on KS for trying to force him to be one. Roddy was ignored most of the season but look what happened when we got him involved (not that three straight crap)...Roddy has been huge for us. Hardy spent most of the season on the bench (maybe he really wasn't ready...have my doubts). Tamme was another guy who was heavily used one game and then completely invisible the next. Some of that is what the D covered but a lot of it was pure choice.

Edit: I also would love to have Sanu but I think the chances are similar to our playoff chances prior to Sunday night Vikes.

Edited by Monolith2001

He made some plays so he doesn't suck.

I think his negative plays outweigh his good plays tho, includine the injuries.

That's the thing. I don't think anybody expects you to catch every pass but when you drop them a very high clip for as much as he was on the field, then you need to make up for it in a major way.

Devonta made up for it.

Julio made up for it.

Hankerson, me not so much imo.

And he dropped it more than they did, let's put that into perspective.

When I read this thread I realize that maybe my mind is broke or someone doesn't get it.

Hankerson knew the offense from previous seasons working with Kyle. If you have watched Matt this year and where actually a fan of his and the team you would notice that Matt has struggled to master this offense and I for one am excited to see what another off season between Matt and Kyle can bring. This make believe that Kyle sucks and Matt sucks is just garbage, the west Coast offense is a much different one from the vertical and power run schemes we have ran years prior.

That said its also not a easy offense for the receivers ether, some of the reasons Roddy has struggled to become a part of this offense was on him and Ryan in ability to be on the same page. This transition was never going to be easy, so Hankerson was brought in as a stop gap until the rest of the players mastered the system. Unfortunately he got injured early and we really struggled on offense not having someone out there who knew the offense by heart.

He served his purpose as well as he could, hopefully our receivers and Matt wont need a player like him next season.