The Most Important Position On The Offensive Line

I will disagree, but only slightly. I think you can get by with an average level of play from the interior of the OL, and even RT. But you can't really get away with average play from the LT protecting the QB's blindside. You need an above average player there.

Our problem is that we are not getting an average level of NFL play from the interior of our OL so it looks to be more important to have a stronger interior. And for this team, at this point, it is more important (basically the most important is where your OL is weakest as I believe someone else mentioned earlier). We have a LT that can play at an above average level, so we do need to desperately fix our interior line and the key to that is the center position. We've been hurting at that position for a long time. I wasn't a big fan of McClure, but he was serviceable enough, especially earlier in his career. He still suffered with the inability to recognized stunts and delayed blitzes, but he did block well when engaged at the point of attack, unlike what we have now.

mcclure was more than serviceable he was a good center, as was blaylock at guard, we had some good lineman during the smith era,

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do worry about getting the undersized O-Linemen for the ZBS - I know it works for other teams but it has never worked well for Falcons. I remember back in the Vick - DVD days (Duckett/Dunn) we had a good running game but could not pass block - now we cannot pass block again.

we can never seem to get an O-Line that can do both well - the undersized guys give up so much ground to the bull rushes in pass protection.

Matthews is much more stout than his size indicates. He is good at anchoring himself against bullrushes. Did pretty well against Ole Miss and Alabama.

Matthews is much more stout than his size indicates. He is good at anchoring himself against bullrushes. Did pretty well against Ole Miss and Alabama.

Not really talking about Matthews - talking more about our undersized interior - Levitre, Person & Chester who get bulldozed every play into QBs lap.

mcclure was more than serviceable he was a good center, as was blaylock at guard, we had some good lineman during the smith era,

McClure was OK, nothing more. The same can be said about Blalock and board favorite Dahl. Those guys were just OK. By the time 2011 rolled around, our OL turned putrid. We could not get one yard on the ground when we needed to.

The Falcons need to focus on the LOS. NOW

ben jones would be nice

I have advocated for Alex Mack, but I hear that Ben Jones has played well in a ZBS. The Broncos will have a lot of free agents this year and may have trouble matching a strong offer from the Falcons.

Acquiring an experienced OC should be the number one free agency priority. The interior OL needs to be stabilized. Signing a guy like Jones would help turn things around quickly.

The real question is what to do with Levitre, Chester and Person. I think that Levitre is signed for another three-four years. Chester is on a one-year deal and I have no idea what Person's contract is.

Most fans feel that Chester has played better than Levitre. Clearly, Levitre has more penalties, but I can not truly tell how well either Guard is playing. So much depends on the line calls made. For that reason, I have no idea what to do about our Guards. All I know is that Matt Ryan needs a real pocket to step into his throws. And, Freeman needs an interior OL that can collaboratively keep defenders on their side of the LOS.

Not really talking about Matthews - talking more about our undersized interior - Levitre, Person & Chester who get bulldozed every play into QBs lap.

I am not astute enough to scout the interior OL. I admit that freely. What I do see is wave after wave of defenders crashing on Matt Ryan in the blink of an eye. That can't happen. Our FO has to solve this problem and it has to do it now.

What is wrong with Levitre? He played well early in the year. Is he just struggling or does he just suck all of a sudden.

Like most people, when he puts on the Falcons uniform, his skill level automatically drops by 20%.

Think of it like a Madden value. A player has an overall value of 90, so you trade for him and put him on the Falcons, his overall value immediately drops to a 72. Just the curse of this franchise.