The Most Important Position On The Offensive Line

I do worry about getting the undersized O-Linemen for the ZBS - I know it works for other teams but it has never worked well for Falcons. I remember back in the Vick - DVD days (Duckett/Dunn) we had a good running game but could not pass block - now we cannot pass block again.

we can never seem to get an O-Line that can do both well - the undersized guys give up so much ground to the bull rushes in pass protection.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do worry about getting the undersized O-Linemen for the ZBS - I know it works for other teams but it has never worked well for Falcons. I remember back in the Vick - DVD days (Duckett/Dunn) we had a good running game but could not pass block - now we cannot pass block again.

we can never seem to get an O-Line that can do both well - the undersized guys give up so much ground to the bull rushes in pass protection.

Matthews is good in both aspects. He played extremely well vs Bama which has the best Dline in college by far. He's a bit undersized but holds up. Edited by Bobby.Digital

Will any of those rooks be able to come in Day#1 and make a difference? Because we need immediate help. I am fine with bringing in a center of the future but we got to cix this ship now.

Yup. New center should be a top priority and I also would rather take a proven center than roll the dice with a high draft pick. Anyone remember a guy by the name of Peter Konz? Who was supposedly the top rated center in the draft that year!

Nope my opinion hasn't changed. I vividly remember this discussion and I said center then and I still say center. My opinion has just been reinforced.

Yep. Definitely most important position. He is the line captain and handles the ball every offensive snap. Every single snap has to be perfect, no exceptions, no excuses. We learned this year what a game-killer a bad center can be. Hopefully this isn't a lesson that went unlearned.

Yep. Definitely most important position. He is the line captain and handles the ball every offensive snap. Every single snap has to be perfect, no exceptions, no excuses. We learned this year what a game-killer a bad center can be. Hopefully this isn't a lesson that went unlearned.

Exactly. I remember the initial post a lot of people argued the point of LT. Which is important don't get me wrong, however C have more responsibles than they do. It has always been my thought process that if we are able to get C,LG,and RG absolutely solid, that LT & RT become less of an issue.

Well the Center has to be the strongest, must be keenly aware, etc....but most important? more than a pulling guard or a blind side tackle? Jerry Jones sure thinks that way but did having the #1 draft choice at Center help get them to the playoffs?

IMHO, the beautiful thing about football, unlike any other team sport, is every position is important. Good coaching bridges the gap and fills in for the weak links...so enter our current OC- with his play call emphasis- only him, TD, and Quinn can predict the needs...but I, as will many others will be here to hold them accountable if they screw it up!

Exactly. I remember the initial post a lot of people argued the point of LT. Which is important don't get me wrong, however C have more responsibles than they do. It has always been my thought process that if we are able to get C,LG,and RG absolutely solid, that LT & RT become less of an issue.

It helped Brees!

Mike Matthews size doesnt worry me. Id be looking to take him in/around the 3rd/4th. While physically he is not everything you want mentally he is a plug and play player. Probably helps he grew up with his family and everyday being football day.

Inb4 he measures in with Sam Bakers T-Rex arms

He and Martin are the two picks I want next year. Kick Martin to LG and let Matthews take over C. Two good blood lines and now we would have two Matthews on the time. Maybe Bruce Matthews would have me up and show the entire line some secrets

Ever since Mudduck left the falcons......

The Line has been been subpar.....

The line was terrible most of the time he was here. People just look at the past through rose colored glasses. This franchise has only had a good O line twice, and both times they blew up the lineup within a couple/few years.

I will disagree, but only slightly. I think you can get by with an average level of play from the interior of the OL, and even RT. But you can't really get away with average play from the LT protecting the QB's blindside. You need an above average player there.

Our problem is that we are not getting an average level of NFL play from the interior of our OL so it looks to be more important to have a stronger interior. And for this team, at this point, it is more important (basically the most important is where your OL is weakest as I believe someone else mentioned earlier). We have a LT that can play at an above average level, so we do need to desperately fix our interior line and the key to that is the center position. We've been hurting at that position for a long time. I wasn't a big fan of McClure, but he was serviceable enough, especially earlier in his career. He still suffered with the inability to recognized stunts and delayed blitzes, but he did block well when engaged at the point of attack, unlike what we have now.