Another Meaningless Win

A meaningless Win verses Redskins Cost us Mack.(BPA of the whole draft!)

Last year, A meaningless Win verses Saints Cost us DT/DE Williams.(BPA of the whole draft!)

This Year, A Meaningless Win verses Jags already cost Us 7 spots in the draft.

I hope U are happy about the Win for a few days!

I don't see why it's so hard for people to realize this simple truth. As long as this mediocrity is accepted, it will continue.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see why it's so hard for people to realize this simple truth. As long as this mediocrity is accepted, it will continue.

I don't see why it's so hard for people to understand that the things said and done right here on this message board has no effect whatsoever on the outcome of football games or what moves the Falcons make.

I don't see why it's so hard for people to understand that the things said and done right here on this message board has no effect whatsoever on the outcome of football games or what moves the Falcons make.

I appreciate your optimism, I really do. I used to be like that year after year. After year. After year. After year. Now instead of just being a blind homer that will swallow whatever load the Falcons bust out, I actually think about the best long term situations for our future. Just go back and look at that post that shows the players we missed out on because we won one meaningless game here and there on an already lost season. We would be a completely different team if we actually used strategy instead of winning meaningless games just so people can keep a job..

Edited by The Salaminizer

I appreciate your optimism, I really do. I used to be like that year after year. After year. After year. After year. Now instead of just being a blind homer that will swallow whatever load the Falcons bust out, I actually think about the best long term situations for our future. Just go back and look at that post that shows the players we missed out on because we won one meaningless game here and there on an already lost season. We would be a completely different team if we actually used strategy instead of winning meaningless games just so people can keep a job..

I'd rather be like the Patriots, Broncos, Packers, Steelers, ect. and those teams didn't get there by losing games on purpose just to get a top 10 pick.

Is there legit b*tching here or are people not doing backflips like me? Huge difference.

We won. I watched. I cheered but ultimately I know we're not going to the postseason because of awful losses to Indy, SF and Tampa x2. It sucks and I certainly don't want anyone that doesn't deserve to keep their job like the OC to give people an excuse to keep them around...so know...I'm not extra Gung-ho about what will likely be a meaningless win against Jacksonville and forgive me for thinking its kind of a defeatist attitude to get overly excited about a team that's missing the postseason for the 3rd straight year.

Well, there could be a moment where a lightbulb just goes off and the offense starts executing like clockwork. It can happen. Stay tuned.

Yes there is. This thread and a few others crying that we can't get such and such player in the draft now because the Falcons won a "meaningless game."

Oh, and I'm glad you can predict the future, how about throwing out some lottery numbers while you're at it Miss Cleo!

People make picks every week about football and they usually apply logic to it. Are there upsets? Obviously, but I'd bet good $ that the scenario for us to make the postseason won't happen because the odds are THAT bad. Would you bet on us getting in? I feel confident you probably wouldn't.

People make picks every week about football and they usually apply logic to it. Are there upsets? Obviously, but I'd bet good $ that the scenario for us to make the postseason won't happen because the odds are THAT bad. Would you bet on us getting in? I feel confident you probably wouldn't.

But there is a possibility that it could happen. Goofier things have happened in sports. As long as there's a chance you should believe!

I am glad to see the team still fighting for wins. To those that think its a good strategy to lose purposely for draft choices, I would remind them:

Teams like the Pats don't get first round choices because they win year after year. But they still seem to put a good team on the field.

We got good picks the last couple of years... why arent we in the playoffs if 1st round picks are the key?

No, the team needs to keep playing hard to win. At the end of the day, the guys who are picking and developing the talent are the ones that should be on the hot seat. The Falcons are developing talent right now and will get some new talent from the draft and free agency.I hate to be the broken record that is the Falcons but next year 2016/2017 will be better than this year and the 2017/2018 we should be back in the mix again. It takes time to rebuild lines and develop talent when for years those things were ignored.

I am glad to see the team still fighting for wins. To those that think its a good strategy to lose purposely for draft choices, I would remind them:

Teams like the Pats don't get first round choices because they win year after year. But they still seem to put a good team on the field.

We got good picks the last couple of years... why arent we in the playoffs if 1st round picks are the key?

No, the team needs to keep playing hard to win. At the end of the day, the guys who are picking and developing the talent are the ones that should be on the hot seat. The Falcons are developing talent right now and will get some new talent from the draft and free agency.I hate to be the broken record that is the Falcons but next year 2016/2017 will be better than this year and the 2017/2018 we should be back in the mix again. It takes time to rebuild lines and develop talent when for years those things were ignored.

Logic is lost on this message board.

So we're going to suddenly be able to develop late rounders? The Pats are more the exception, not the rule and they hit on guys like Chandler Jones (1st rounder), Hightower, etc. Gronk was a 1st rounder that dropped b/c of injury concerns and well...we all know about Brady.

It's not just about top picks, but top picks help. You need the right guy in charge though and we don't have that but lets not act like high picks aren't valuable. We just have a guy that's bad at picking in all rounds and completely misses on FA acquisitions.

So we're going to suddenly be able to develop late rounders? The Pats are more the exception, not the rule and they hit on guys like Chandler Jones (1st rounder), Hightower, etc. Gronk was a 1st rounder that dropped b/c of injury concerns and well...we all know about Brady.

It's not just about top picks, but top picks help. You need the right guy in charge though and we don't have that but lets not act like high picks aren't valuable. We just have a guy that's bad at picking in all rounds and completely misses on FA acquisitions.

The Problem with this is... UNLESS you are going to blow out the entire staff and players you must "Learn how to win".

Second, momentum for the next season and moving forward starts with the end of the previous season.

C, it's the exception not the rule for Rookies to turn a losing group around.(This usually happens IF you are drafting for a QB when it does happen)

I like every one else would love to get a higher pick but at the end of the day it will not mean much if the rest of the team around them continues to suck and not believe in themselves.

I don't know that upset is the word. We won though and while I was ultimately happy I couldn't help but think about losses to Indy, SF, and Tampa and how had we not blown those games we'd be talking about a potential playoff spot. I get where the OP is coming from. 6-1 start was pretty much p*ssed away. If you avoid the embarrassment of being the only team to avoid a losing record after that kind of start then cool but I'm not gonna act like I'm over the moon for this.

Part of me feels like draft position is more important.

Nothing potential about it, the Falconsdon't blow those games and ATL in in the playoffs.

Draft position means nothing if you do not draft quality. (ie;Atlanta's 2012 Draft)

The Problem with this is... UNLESS you are going to blow out the entire staff and players you must "Learn how to win".

Second, momentum for the next season and moving forward starts with the end of the previous season.

C, it's the exception not the rule for Rookies to turn a losing group around.(This usually happens IF you are drafting for a QB when it does happen)

I like every one else would love to get a higher pick but at the end of the day it will not mean much if the rest of the team around them continues to suck and not believe in themselves.

So then the question is...give a staff that's proven they can't draft and develop or make good acquisitions in FA a chance to turn it around? Seems like the answer to the question is rather obvious if that's what we're saying. I don't disagree that the current staff can't get the right personnel but the problem I have is thinking that "learning to win" when you've got the wrong people in place is going to make any difference in the long run.

Nothing potential about it, the Falconsdon't blow those games and ATL in in the playoffs.

Draft position means nothing if you do not draft quality. (ie;Atlanta's 2012 Draft)

I've basically said as much in the thread. Another reason to NOT be excited. If wins are going to lead to certain people keeping their job than no thanks.

Guest since'66

I see another "momentum" point made above. There were earlier posts about this as well and were addressed but went over some posters heads. I've heard this for years. End of year "Momentum" in the NFL through 8 months of all but building a new team? Really? Because an NFL team wins the last one or two games of a previous season? People believe in this?

So then the question is...give a staff that's proven they can't draft and develop or make good acquisitions in FA a chance to turn it around? Seems like the answer to the question is rather obvious if that's what we're saying. I don't disagree that the current staff can't get the right personnel but the problem I have is thinking that "learning to win" when you've got the wrong people in place is going to make any difference in the long run.

That's the thing though, this current front office and coaching staff has only been in position for 1 year. It takes more than 1 year to build a Super Bowl team. That is why Blank cannot fire TD. If he fires TD he pretty much has to clean house. He can't just fire TD and keep everyone else because that makes absolutely no sense.

That's the thing though, this current front office and coaching staff has only been in position for 1 year. It takes more than 1 year to build a Super Bowl team. That is why Blank cannot fire TD. If he fires TD he pretty much has to clean house. He can't just fire TD and keep everyone else because that makes absolutely no sense.

Agreed! I, like all fans, want a team that wins. However, there is a solid case for giving some things time. We just basically overhauled the entire office and a lot of the team. It will take some time for development to take place and for teams to get 100% comfortable with the new way of playing. But if we continue to just fire everyone each year without allowing them enough time to build a winning team, then we have no hope of ever getting a winning team back out there.

Try and tell that to the staff and players.

Every win has meaning to an athlete. Winning some at the end will carry into next season. If anyone remembers 1997, we went on a **** of a winning streak to finish 7-9. Didnt make the playoffs, but without that momentum they dont go 14-2 and get to the SB in 1998.

Bingo.

I'm not optimistic about next game. But imagine...imagine that we win. Imagine that we beat the consensus best team in the NFL and kill their undefeated dreams. Imagine we end the season on a 3 game winning streak and just miss the playoffs (can't see Seattle and Minnesota losing out). Imagine how hungry this team will be. First winning season since 2012 and the knowledge we can hang with anyone, and then we go out and improve further...that'd be the making of a special 2016.

People place way too much importance on draft position. If you aren't picking top 5 in a position of dire need, it really doesn't matter that much if you're 7-9 or 9-7. But I guarantee the players care.

Bingo.

I'm not optimistic about next game. But imagine...imagine that we win. Imagine that we beat the consensus best team in the NFL and kill their undefeated dreams. Imagine we end the season on a 3 game winning streak and just miss the playoffs (can't see Seattle and Minnesota losing out). Imagine how hungry this team will be. First winning season since 2012 and the knowledge we can hang with anyone, and then we go out and improve further...that'd be the making of a special 2016.

People place way too much importance on draft position. If you aren't picking top 5 in a position of dire need, it really doesn't matter that much if you're 7-9 or 9-7. But I guarantee the players care.

EXACTLY!!