If You Want To Talk About Rams Players We Should Have Drafted

Begotten912

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why are folks acting like the Rams are geniuses for selecting Donald? They had two first round picks that year and initially passed on him also. They selected Greg Robinson with their first pick at number two overall. By the time they picked again at 13, Donald was by far the best player overall on the board. It didnt take a genius to pick him there. It was a no brainer.

What TD did was bring a very talented staff with him to Atlanta. Teams hired away several key members of his scouting/personnel staff and TD was not able to recover. You combine that with losing offensive defensive coordinators and you can see why the Falcons direction went sideways.

I am hyper critical of TD because he continually traded away valuable draft picks for a specific player he coveted instead of finding talent where we were drafting.

When

Les Snead was already here when TD came.

Technically he was working for the Falcons since before Blank bought the team, (was hired in 97).

FalconFanSince1969 , the Rams are building a team the right way. They have won just as many championships as our Falcons have, and compared to the Falcons, the Rams look far more competent when it comes to the draft and finding personnel. They lack a QB...and after the way this season has gone, I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to land Matt Ryan from us. And Ryan just might be ready to go.

Ha, you're a moron.

Donald would have been a good get and would love to see him in a Falcons uniform but as has been stated in other threads, we needed help on the line in the worst way and Matthews was the best choice though OL picks are NEVER sexy. While I think we can all admire many of StL's pieces and they are almost certainly a better team than we are now, they will be watching the playoffs at home just like we will and will be very lucky to finish .500 so let's not give them too much credit.

Les Snead was already here when TD came.

Technically he was working for the Falcons since before Blank bought the team, (was hired in 97).

I thought Snead was pro scout when 1st hired and TD brought in David Caldwell to run the scouting department. Caldwell left and Snead took over but I could be wrong.

FalconFanSince1969 , the Rams are building a team the right way. They have won just as many championships as our Falcons have, and compared to the Falcons, the Rams look far more competent when it comes to the draft and finding personnel. They lack a QB...and after the way this season has gone, I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to land Matt Ryan from us. And Ryan just might be ready to go.

?

1) The Rams havent won "just as many championships as our Falcons have" they've won more.

2) They've been "building a team the right way" for a decade now. All those 1st round picks in the front 7 and where are they? The same place they've been since before Bulger **** the bed.

Yes, the Rams are super competent at finding personnel. Guys like Jason Smith, Roger Saffold, Sam Bradford, etc are crushing it, right?

The Rams are fortunate in that they've had all of the valuable picks in the world which makes their misses less painful. But let's not act like it's some bastion of NFL talent or that the combination of that talent has yielded anything approaching a successful football team.

Why are folks acting like the Rams are geniuses for selecting Donald? They had two first round picks that year and initially passed on him also. They selected Greg Robinson with their first pick at number two overall. By the time they picked again at 13, Donald was by far the best player overall on the board. It didnt take a genius to pick him there. It was a no brainer.

And Robinson has been a massive disappointment so far.

Not having a consistent QB continues to hurt the Rams year after year. All that defensive talent will continue to go to waste unless they get one.

I definitely admire their defense though. That's the type of defense I'd kill for this team to have. I'm tired of Atlanta fielding these flawed *** defenses year after year. It got old years ago.

To be fair to TD, everyone saw Donald's talent, including Tommy D. If you want to understand why we did not go after him, simply look at the defensive scheme we were going to run (Nolan's poorly conceived 3-4). We were in need of a big DT, not a penetrating one. Additionally, the FO felt like they had similar talents in Babs (obviously Donald is quicker).

Crying a whining about "the one that got away" is of little help today.

This post makes too much sense

Aaron Donald and Todd Gurley is tearing it up for the Rams. Now, look at our players like Worrilow (who was the message board hero last year).

And yet there they are, 6-8 and out of the playoffs...just like us. And luckily for Rams fans, Jeff Fisher will be back again next year! Maybe he can generate another 6-8 win season!

I'm not sure why so many people are willing to embrace similar "failure" because it's not our failure.

DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry I am talking about the current Rams, which is what this thread is about. Unlike us the Rams have a defense and a pass rush, they run the ball, they just do not have that QB, though they certainly tried with Bradford. But just like with Jerry here, we will never know how good Bradford could have been, his injuries ruined his career. I would much rather we draft like the Rams, than the way our current FO drafts.

DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry I am talking about the current Rams, which is what this thread is about. Unlike us the Rams have a defense and a pass rush, they run the ball, they just do not have that QB, though they certainly tried with Bradford. But just like with Jerry here, we will never know how good Bradford could have been, his injuries ruined his career. I would much rather we draft like the Rams, than the way our current FO drafts.

?

Why is failure okay if you "play defense and run the ball"? Failure is failure, right?

So its okay to win 6 games so long as you win those 6 playing the type of football you find aesthetically pleasing?

Again, all of that preferable drafting hasnt gotten the Rams anywhere. They havent had a winning season since 2003. 2003. We were in the NFC Championship game 3 years ago and people are ready to burn Flowery Branch to the ground.

The reality is, you want to "draft like the Rams" because you have no personal interest in their failure. Their failure is irrelevant to you. The Rams merely serve as one of 31 counterpoints to the team you DO have investment in. So you get to pick and choose the "highlights" while ignoring the failures.

Come on, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry ...I did not say even half of what you stated in your reply. The truth is, the Rams are almost exactly like the 49ers were before Harbaugh came along, or the Bears before Ditka in the early 80's. They have a foundation, which is a lot more than can be said for our sorry Falcons. AB does not have the patience to do what the Rams are doing...and us fans are paying for it.

Come on, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry ...I did not say even half of what you stated in your reply. The truth is, the Rams are almost exactly like the 49ers were before Harbaugh came along, or the Bears before Ditka in the early 80's. They have a foundation, which is a lot more than can be said for our sorry Falcons. AB does not have the patience to do what the Rams are doing...and us fans are paying for it.

The Rams have "had a foundation" for 5+ years. Yet they're still there.....finishing below .500.

I'm not really sure how you can say we don't have a "foundation" given the pieces we have in place at cornerstone positions. Two competent young RBs, an elite WR, an elite CB, some young defensive talent, a QB that until this season has been one of the better QBs in the league.

What do you think is easier to find a couple interior OL/LBs or a QB/#1CB/#1WR?

Want to hear something ironic? The Rams GM is Les Snead. The same guy who worked for the Falcons for years, briefly under TD. Snead does the exact reverse of what TD does. Snead drafts for the lines, and LBs, and drafts players with questionable character, like Jenkins. Snead does make trades, but gets multiple picks in return...like the RGIII trade. Just think...we could have had Snead, here, as our GM. Our lines would have been in a heckuva lot better shape, that is for sure. Read it and weep, fellas.

nothing but the truth!!

Archived